Re: [TTLUG] A dumb question...

  • richjob@carib-link.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
      Neil,

      No questions are dumb <grin>. Sometimes my answers may not
      be particularly smart, but...

      The short answer - it depends.

      SCSI scanners are pretty well supported under SANE. Parallel
      port scanners - the answer is "it depends". Some brands of
      scanners are supported, some are not.

      USB scanners - "it depends". USB scanner support will improve
      significantly with the Linux 2.4 kernel.

      Whether your scanner is supported or not will depend on the
      scanner interfaace and scanner brand.

      The Hardware HOWTO usually has very comprehensive info on it.
      If your scanner is a USB, you can probably do a search on
      www.google.com on "Linux USB"

      On 30 Sep 2000, at 19:12, Neil Christmas wrote:

      > Hi list,
      > Does any/all distros of linux support Scanners?
      > Neil

      **********************
      Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
      http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191

      In Trinidad and Tobago and want to use Linux?
      http://ttlug.linux.co.tt
      http://www.linux.co.tt/php/linux.php3
    • Christien Bunting
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
        What you should look at really is if the company has a scsi version to the
        scanner you are looking at in particular. If there is a scsi version to the
        sane model then most likely it will work with sane. If there's only a usb
        or parallel port model and no big brother scsi version, stay clear.

        Chris

        http://profiles.msn.com