(root) / Problem

  • sureshd@tstt.net.tt
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 12, 2004
      Hey guys, I have a server RH8.0 that gave me a cryptic blue screen when I
      rebooted it (After about six months). I can only access the system via the
      prompt. My Linux commands aren't all that hot, but I managed to check the
      disk usage (df). My root (/) is 100% used! I don't know how it happened
      and how I can clear it up. Any suggestions?

      I figure this is why I can't get into my GUI in the first place, as the
      obvious assumption would be that RH needs some space on the root for temp
      files associated with bringing up the GUI.

      The server is acting as a samba server. The other ppl on the network are
      no longer connected, nor can they log via the domain. I check the samba
      status.
      smbd is ruing but nmbd refuses to start. Any suggestions on this?

      My first thought was to rebuild the machine, but I'd like to retrieve some
      windows service packs among other documentation I put in the /data
      directory. I want to copy the files in the /data directory over the
      network and onto another system before I attempt the rebuild.

      And I need some advice.

      -Suresh.
    • Corbeaux
      Message 33 of 33 , May 30, 2004