Re: [TTLUG] knoppixx 3.3

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
      Note that there is no specific reference to that card in the driver
      documentation for stable XFree86 4.3.0 (Feb2003)
      http://www.xfree.org/current/Status.html
      At any rate, I think that the 5900 series cards were released about
      October-November 2003. That would mean that support would either be
      based on the 'nv' driver, or the binary Nvidia driver (URL below). The
      corresponding version of XFree86 with built-in support would likely be
      4.4.0 RC2 (23Dec2003) or 4.4.0 pre-release (31Jan2004).

      Finally, this is the URL for Knoppix boottime configuration:
      http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

      Nvidia drivers for Linux are here:
      http://www.nvidia.com/linux

      and this page:
      ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/README
      should give you a good overview and additional resources to get you
      started, including XFree86 configuration.

      Hope this helps.

      Cheers,
      A.

      On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 04:43, Vlade Malfet wrote:
      > I'll have to leave this in the hands of anothe knopppizz user then . Odd
      > that it does not recognise that card tho. Mandrake 9.0 recognises it
      > ..... are you sure there is no way to configure options?
      > Anyone got his flavor OS?
      >
      > Shivan wrote:
      >
      > > hmm you just confused me there. Normally when booting
      > > knoppizz 3.3, it just boots straight into the OS. You
      > > dont get options to choose display drivers. it does it
      > > for you automatically (if it recognises your video
      > > card). However, since the card i have is relatively
      > > new, it is not recognising it.

    • Kerry Panchoo
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
        I've had a lot of problems with onboard Nvidia (on AMD) -- in a few
        cases i ended up using the vesa driver- others just didnt seem to work
        right- in the end we moved our appliance platform to the onboard
        Intel(on Intel) with worked amazingly well.

        Kerry

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
          I think part of the problem with onboard Nvidia (this sounds like the Nforce and Nforce2 platforms) is that there's a lot of nonstandard stuff in there. Nvidia does provide proprietary, binary drivers for a lot of them, but it can be an effort getting them to work.

          You're right: the onboard Intel stuff gives less problems.

          Andrew wrote:
          > Note that there is no specific reference to that card in the driver
          > documentation for stable XFree86 4.3.0 (Feb2003)
          > http://www.xfree.org/current/Status.html
          > At any rate, I think that the 5900 series cards were released about
          > October-November 2003. That would mean that support would either be
          > based on the 'nv' driver, or the binary Nvidia driver (URL below). The
          > corresponding version of XFree86 with built-in support would likely be
          > 4.4.0 RC2 (23Dec2003) or 4.4.0 pre-release (31Jan2004).
          >
          > Finally, this is the URL for Knoppix boottime configuration:
          > http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
          >
          > Nvidia drivers for Linux are here:
          > http://www.nvidia.com/linux
          >
          > and this page:
          > ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/README
          > should give you a good overview and additional resources to get you
          > started, including XFree86 configuration.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >

          > Cheers,
          > A.
          >

          > On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 04:43, Vlade Malfet wrote:
          >
          >>I'll have to leave this in the hands of anothe knopppizz user then . Odd
          >>that it does not recognise that card tho. Mandrake 9.0 recognises it
          >>..... are you sure there is no way to configure options?
          >>Anyone got his flavor OS?
          >>
          >>Shivan wrote:
          >>

          >>>hmm you just confused me there. Normally when booting
          >>>knoppizz 3.3, it just boots straight into the OS. You
          >>>dont get options to choose display drivers. it does it
          >>>for you automatically (if it recognises your video
          >>>card). However, since the card i have is relatively
          >>>new, it is not recognising it.

          >>> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          >>> Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
          >>>

          >>Help build TTLUG by forwarding this to anyone who is interested in the
          >>subject matter or would otherwise benefit from joining the mailing list.

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>
          >>To visit your group on the web, go to:

          >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
          >> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Shivan
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
            >insert the module/driver in the correct place

            do you know exactly where to place the driver? i got
            it off the net bu t do not know where to put it.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
              This caused a major shift in hardware for us-- originally we were going
              to use the shuttle with nvidia on board-- reasoning was that the
              graphics performcance was supposed to be better- because of the problems
              with the nvidia, we started testing intel-- we were majorly surprised.
              Our application uses onboard components to keep our applicance around
              3.5" deep. The performance of the Intel system surpassed our
              expectations- MSI and Asus manufacture some good intel based boards
              where everything works flawlessly with linux (redhat 9- i saw some
              issues with other distros-bah!). Add a cheap 2.0GHz celeron CPU and
              512MB of ram and you have a really good media system.

              So far we have modified a linux video player and mozilla for our
              application-- our modifications make both these applications totally
              useless for conventional use- but we have a pretty powerfull standalone
              media machine- we can play virtually any image and video format of any
              size-- typically a high quality 15 second ad is about 260MB- we have
              files that are about 5GB to run- Our system cruises through it no
              problem. I've noticed a couple flickers- On some Nvidia Nforce2 test
              environments these did not occur- but there were many issues that made
              us use the intel-- the Nforce2 simply does not perform consistently
              under linux- its a pity- since it has shown that it can produce great
              and almost flawless video.