Xine

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
      Richard

      I think you where right about that Xine rpm being corrupted. The Xine
      site seems to have done a bug fix. The problem for me that that this is
      not an rpm but .gz which I am still struggling to sort out. I'll get
      there ...

      Dave

    • Richard Hamel-Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
        Dave,
        Do not despair. Yes, Linux has dependency hell. I hate it myself.
        This is one reason people keep trying different distros. They hate
        having to track down and fix every last dependency.

        I have not found any silver bullet for this, sorry to say. I keep
        waiting for the situtation to get better.

        What I really wanted to say, is that a "segmentation fault" is an error
        message I associate with a pointer going somewhere it shouldn't go. It's
        kinda like a program tried to jump to a location where no instruction
        was waiting to be executed. I used to get this all the time when I was
        doing programming. What it means with regard to an rpm is anybody's
        guess. I'd suspect it is produced by some kind of bug in the code
        itself. I haven't come across it with rpms.

        These days, I'm not using rpm so much. I mainly downloaded the source
        code and compile. This isn't rocket science, mainly due to the fact that
        most packages are set up in such a way that all you normally have to do
        is run three commands .... './configure', 'make' and 'make install'.

        Usually, if it passes the './configure' step without any errors, it will
        also do the 'make' and the 'make install' as well. I've had good success
        with this approach. But there is 'dependency hell' here as well.

        The whole free software/open source movement really need to improve this
        area a lot.

        Regards,
        Richard
      • Roger Browne
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
          Taran,
          You forgot to include the user and root passwords for
          that CD you gave me. Thanks again btw.

          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
        • Taran Rampersad
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
            Richard Hamel-Smith wrote:

            > Dave,
            > Do not despair. Yes, Linux has dependency hell. I hate it myself.
            > This is one reason people keep trying different distros. They hate
            > having to track down and fix every last dependency.
            >
            > I have not found any silver bullet for this, sorry to say. I keep
            > waiting for the situtation to get better.
            >
            > What I really wanted to say, is that a "segmentation fault" is an error
            > message I associate with a pointer going somewhere it shouldn't go. It's
            > kinda like a program tried to jump to a location where no instruction
            > was waiting to be executed. I used to get this all the time when I was
            > doing programming.

            This is the best explanation of a segment fault I have read in a while,
            so I'll build on it. For those who don't know what a 'pointer' is, it's
            a means of software keeping track of where it put what. Like you and
            your car keys. A segmentation fault would be like looking for your keys
            in your neighbour's house - when you weren't ever at your neighbour's
            house. The segmentation fault is a little more complicated than this,
            but it's quite similar and will hopefully shed some light on the topic
            for non-hackers.

            It sounds horrid, but it's a common problem in programming - keeping
            your pointers updated and not overwritten by other things.

            > These days, I'm not using rpm so much. I mainly downloaded the source
            > code and compile. This isn't rocket science, mainly due to the fact that
            > most packages are set up in such a way that all you normally have to do
            > is run three commands .... './configure', 'make' and 'make install'.

            Yeah. I think if it's that easy, it could be automated.

            > Usually, if it passes the './configure' step without any errors, it will
            > also do the 'make' and the 'make install' as well. I've had good success
            > with this approach. But there is 'dependency hell' here as well.
            >
            > The whole free software/open source movement really need to improve this
            > area a lot.

            Probably the biggest problem, I agree... Part of the problem is not
            forking at appropriate places, I think. Vlade and I had a discussion
            about that the other night... I'm thinking through some of the ideas we
            were kicking around. It's like his Mandrake 9.2 problem (suspected mobo
            driver issue) versus his lack of a Fedora 1 problem. That should NOT be
            an issue, but it is one.

            Taran
          • Vlade
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
              *cough*mandrake*cough*

              Richard Hamel-Smith wrote:

              > Dave,
              > Do not despair. Yes, Linux has dependency hell. I hate it myself.
              > This is one reason people keep trying different distros. They hate
              > having to track down and fix every last dependency.
              >
              > I have not found any silver bullet for this, sorry to say. I keep
              > waiting for the situtation to get better.
              >
              > What I really wanted to say, is that a "segmentation fault" is an error
              > message I associate with a pointer going somewhere it shouldn't go. It's
              > kinda like a program tried to jump to a location where no instruction
              > was waiting to be executed. I used to get this all the time when I was
              > doing programming. What it means with regard to an rpm is anybody's
              > guess. I'd suspect it is produced by some kind of bug in the code
              > itself. I haven't come across it with rpms.
              >
              > These days, I'm not using rpm so much. I mainly downloaded the source
              > code and compile. This isn't rocket science, mainly due to the fact that
              > most packages are set up in such a way that all you normally have to do
              > is run three commands .... './configure', 'make' and 'make install'.
              >
              > Usually, if it passes the './configure' step without any errors, it will
              > also do the 'make' and the 'make install' as well. I've had good success
              > with this approach. But there is 'dependency hell' here as well.
              >
              > The whole free software/open source movement really need to improve this
              > area a lot.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Richard

            • Taran Rampersad
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
                Roger Browne wrote:

                > Taran,
                > You forgot to include the user and root passwords for
                > that CD you gave me. Thanks again btw.

                Huh? Burning another copy and checking...

                Taran
              • Kerry Panchoo
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
                  i have an older copy of xine for multimedia use at:
                  http://media4redhat.frontspace.org
                  make redhat multimedia capable.
                  I should update this soon.

                  Kerry

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
                    Well, it's a lot better than it used to be.

                    use apt-get or yum.

                    For Mandrake, use urpmi

                    For gentoo, use ports

                    Slack has something too.

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Doh, how embarassing that I forgot these... Used them two times and
                      didn't even think... :-[

                      Username: root
                      p'word: root

                      Username: demo
                      p'word: demo

                      For installation on your HDD, you'd have to set them on your local
                      machine yourself during the installation.

                      Taran

                      Taran Rampersad wrote:

                      > Roger Browne wrote:
                      >
                      > > Taran,
                      > > You forgot to include the user and root passwords for
                      > > that CD you gave me. Thanks again btw.
                      > >
                      > Huh? Burning another copy and checking...
                      >
                      > Taran
                    • Allan Samaroo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Slack uses swaret.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 5, 2004
                          Allan Samaroo wrote:

                          > Slack uses swaret.

                          Correct is right.

                          --
                          Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
                          http://www.ttlug.org | http://www.weakblog.com | http://www.jobity.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 6, 2004
                            Richard Hamel-Smith wrote:

                            You can also use the program

                            ldd <program>

                            to list the library dependencies of a file (linked libraries not static)
                            and see if the libraries that they are talking about exist.

                            Another method of tracking the problem is

                            strace -o <outputfile> <program>

                            Where a text file is generated on the hard drive listing all screen
                            writes, libraries, system calls, etc

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 6, 2004
                              Thanks for the words of comfort.

                              I went back and checked the Xine site and they seem to have done a bug
                              fix for this. So it seems your analysis was probably correct.

                              Now as a (clearly) still struggling "new to Linux" user, it does seem to
                              me that this is an area where the TTLUG could be of some real
                              assistance. I've said it before, there is an initial learning curve when
                              migrating from "the other" OS and if the LUG can put things in place to
                              help overcome this hurdle it would be doing a lot to expand the use of
                              Linux.

                              Yes, I know about the HOW-TO sites (and I have several large books that
                              will keep the door open on a breezy day) but being shown something in 10
                              minutes can save hours/days worth of struggling.

                              If we could dedicate some of our techie days to this it would be really
                              helpful - well to me anyway.

                              Dave

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 6, 2004
                                Ahh ... but if you were in your neighbours house and shouldn't have been