The high-tech black market

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      http://www.sfbg.com/38/11/cover_hightech.html

      The high-tech black market
      Copyright infringement is a criminal offense. Meet the new generation of
      geek outlaws and heroes.
      By Annalee Newitz

      My daddy was a bank robber

      But he never hurt nobody

      He just liked to live that way

      And he loved to steal your money

      The Clash, "Bank Robber"

      IT WAS AFTER midnight on a San Francisco street popular with young
      hipsters. Groups of glittery girls and boys with 1960s protomullets slid
      past homeless people too tired to beg for money. As my friends and I
      rounded a corner, we heard a shuffle and a soft cough. A man huddled in
      a doorway full of shadow, his arms curled protectively around a
      cardboard box so old that its edges had gone soft and fuzzy.

      "Want to buy some records?" he croaked. "I've got really good old stuff."

      I paused, uncertain. He paused, too.

      Then, in a voice so low I thought he might be talking to himself, he
      muttered, "I've got some software, too. You want to buy some software?"

      That got my attention. It was the first time anyone had ever offered to
      sell me pirated software on the street. In New York City the streets are
      packed with people selling crappy pirated DVDs of new movies, but I had
      never heard of people doing the same thing with software programs.

      "What do you have?" I asked.
      --
      Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
      http://www.ttlug.org | http://www.weakblog.com | http://www.jobity.com