Need to re-boot?

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      I need to know if I am doing this right ...

      I've just installed an application and got some error messages that said
      some dependencies were missing. I found them and installed and the
      re-install the original application. I am still getting the same error
      message which is a bit confusing. Do I need to re-boot to get the main
      programme to find the dependencies?

      Dave

    • Willie Roopchan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        Sometimes when I install programs I need to
        Exit root mode b4 they take effect...

        But when I use ports(bsd ported applications) and they install
        dependencies no restart is necessary.

        I need to know if I am doing this right ...

        I've just installed an application and got some error messages that said
        some dependencies were missing. I found them and installed and the
        re-install the original application. I am still getting the same error
        message which is a bit confusing. Do I need to re-boot to get the main
        programme to find the dependencies?

        Dave

        Trinidad and Tobago Linux Users Group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ttlug

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004

          Depends on the program. You might have to stop and restart a service,
          in the case of something like Apache. Only in the case of a kernel
          change should you have to reboot (as a general rule)

          Sounds like you're in dependency hell.

          Taking an analogy from the Windows world, it's a bit like installing an
          application that needs VB 6 libraries without you having the libraries
          available.

          Most times, what happens is that the dependencies may themselves need
          dependencies. Unless you're installing something like GnuCash that has
          LOTS of dependencies, you should use whatever application the
          distribution has to update the application. In the case of Red Hat, is
          that the Red Hat Network? Not sure: Mandrake uses urpmi, Debian uses
          apt-get and Gentoo uses emerge. BSD uses ports, but Willie would know
          about that.

          I'm pretty sure that apt for rpm, (and synaptic) and yum should do a
          pretty decent job of resolving dependency issues. Installing RPMS from
          the command line is pretty cool, but in the case of larger apps, can be
          a bit problematic.

          --
          Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
          http://www.ttlug.org | http://www.weakblog.com | http://www.jobity.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
            Similar to windows dlls there aer unix libraries.. "filename.so"

            Typically they are located in /usr/lib

            When you compile from scratch, tradition has it that the apps libraries are
            placed in /usr/local/lib/

            You need to edit your /etc/ld.so.conf file and add the /usr/local/lib or
            whatever folder it is installed under and then run ldconfig.

            That should solve the issue.

            If you have any further issues you can check the man page for ldconfig.

            Typically, the only time you need to reboot under unix is to reconfigure a
            device or reload the kernel.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
              I'll have to wrap my brain around all of this. I keep thinking I see a
              light at the end of the tunnel only to find it is someone with a torch
              looking for a dependency ...

              On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 21:22, Richard Jobity wrote:

> [...]

            • Dave Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                Thanks for that ... I'll keep trying.

                Dave

                On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 21:32, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
                > Similar to windows dlls there aer unix libraries.. "filename.so"
                >
                > Typically they are located in /usr/lib
                >
                > When you compile from scratch, tradition has it that the apps libraries are
                > placed in /usr/local/lib/
                >
                > You need to edit your /etc/ld.so.conf file and add the /usr/local/lib or
                > whatever folder it is installed under and then run ldconfig.
                >
                > That should solve the issue.
                >
                > If you have any further issues you can check the man page for ldconfig.
                >

                > Typically, the only time you need to reboot under unix is to reconfigure a
                > device or reload the kernel.

              • Taran Rampersad
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Hmm. Three things:

                  (1) Which app are you trying to install (and on what distro)?
                  (2) What dependencies are being looked for?

                  Taran

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Dave Smith wrote:

                    > I need to know if I am doing this right ...
                    >
                    > I've just installed an application and got some error messages that said
                    > some dependencies were missing. I found them and installed and the
                    > re-install the original application. I am still getting the same error
                    > message which is a bit confusing. Do I need to re-boot to get the main
                    > programme to find the dependencies?
                    >
                    > Dave

                    what application....what distro?