Re: FW: [Glug] [Fwd: lpi-caribbean digest, Vol 1 #7 - 1 msg]

  • solardoc2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
      --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Vlade Malfet" <blacknwhite@t...> wrote:
      > ...we all know the implictions.... question is ..where will we stand
      and what shall we do to get ourselves known............

      > someitmes when your well known, people give you a slice of the
      pie.............if your REALLY well known people tip all over
      themselves to give you the slices .........

      > So...why don't we make ourselves REALLY well known.

      Heretic.

      Taran
    • Taran Rampersad
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
        Dave Smith wrote:

        > Absolutely ... but it can be more than being "left out". Look at Iraq -
        > the latest country to be globalised. Invade and then privatise the
        > people's economy. They'll steal the oil too - but round the back door
        > rather than through the front.
        >
        > Where does Linux fit into this?
        >
        > Dave

        Good question. The short answer is that GNU/Linux doesn't fit into that,
        except for the new GNU/Linux stuff being used in the invading vehicles
        (consult last month's Linux Journal).

        The longer answer is that, again, GNU/Linux doesn't fit in - but the
        underlying principles and philosophy do. That's why the Free Software
        Foundation is at the World Summit On Information Society - in the Civil
        Caucus (http://www.knowprose.com/mtentries/000552.html is a good start
        with good links for those interested in non-techie issues). Not as a
        software issue, but rather, as an issue of Freedom. I recall at the FLOS
        Caribbean conference that someone behind me in Steve Traugott's last
        session on Friday was saying something like 'Linux being great for the
        developing world', and I turned around and said 'No. FLOS is great for
        the developing world. 'Linux' is only a part of FLOS.' This won me an
        estranged and frustrated look as I recall, and I imagine not much has
        changed.

        There's also some irony here because the person who was over in Iraq
        post-invaliberation (?!) writing Iraq's new copyright laws was none
        other than Rosen. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30441.html

        FLOS is not only about software either. It's about consumer rights.

        GNU/Linux is an arrow. The philosophy is the bow. You need them both to
        effectively use either. Perhaps that's why the Open Source Initiative
        isn't in the Civil Caucus at the World Summit on Information Society.
        And yet, LPI is there as well.

        In the end, this is only a LUG, and as such may not be considered by
        some to be the proper venue for such a conversation. Yet maybe... just
        maybe some of the people here are interested in their rights as
        consumers as well. If so, see what the Free Software Foundation is up to
        here: http://fsfeurope.org/projects/wsis/wsis.en.html

        So, maybe GNU/Linux does fit into your question as a proxy for a
        philosophy which protects the consumer. GNU/Linux could be termed an
        enabler, but without the philosophy, it's a thrown arrow.

        Taran