19358Re: [ttlug] Its alive.

    Jun 5, 2013
      What kind of monitoring?

      You have Nagios for services, people tend to like it but I don't. Splunk
      for any type of text log file and Cacti for bandwidth. Splunk is best of
      class imo, and they have a free version if you don't mind not being able to
      set a password and being limited to 500MB uncompressed data. Splunk is so
      awesome that it makes logging/alerting fun. You can create your own custom
      logs out of the real logs with a script then feed that into Splunk so that
      you stay within the 500MB limit. I have over 40 devices sending logs in one
      form or another to Splunk on a server which is under specced for the role
      and am not close to the 500MB/day limit. If someone logs into my firewall,
      or one of my databases experiences an error level event or a new file
      appears on my sftp server or a file system somewhere is above a particular
      threshold I will know in under 2 minutes. Splunk makes logging and alerting
      proactive instead of reactive. All sysadmins should be using it.