19260Re: [ttlug] Fw: Ubuntu 11.04: The ultimate educational desktop? [ZDNET]

    May 9, 2011
      On the Linux Action Show the hosts are lamenting that they are being left
      behind in these new desktop interface paradigms, i.e. Unity and Gnome3. What
      are your opinions on these moves?
      On 6 May 2011 18:47, "Deosaran Bisnath" <deobisnath@...> wrote:

      > --- On Fri, 5/6/11, ZDNet Education Latest Headlines <
      newsletters@...> wrote:

      > From: ZDNet Education Latest Headlines <newsletters@...>
      > Subject: Ubuntu 11.04: The ultimate educational desktop? [ZDNET]
      > To: deobisnath@...
      > Date: Friday, May 6, 2011, 12:05 PM

      > Trouble viewing this mail? Read it online | Manage my newsletters |
      Previous Edition

      > ZDNet Education
      >
      > ZDNet Member | May 06, 2011
      >

      > Home | News & Blogs | Videos | White Papers | Downloads | Reviews | Photo
      Galleries | Podcasts | RSS Feeds

      > Latest Headlines
      >

      > Ubuntu 11.04: The ultimate educational desktop?
      >

      > Much has been made of Ubuntu�s new Unity interface. Love it or hate it,
      it�s hard not to see how the stripped down interface minimizes distractions
      and lets schools and teachers use computers for whatever task might be at
      hand.

      > Recommended
      > Cloud Computing White Paper: Latest Buzzword or Glimpse of the Future?
      > Go beyond the hype and get the facts on whether cloud computing represents
      a real game changer for your company-or just another technology fad.

      > Is Fitango's Action Plan Market the future of training and education?
      >

      > This isn�t just about posting your 8th pound lost or your third day
      without smoking on your Facebook wall. This is about empowering consumers to
      learn and grow via a free market and the social web.

      > MIT Media Lab hires college dropout as director: Beyond Negroponte
      >

      > Occasionally, college dropouts do fairly well for themselves. Will the new
      head of MIT�s Media Lab continue his track record of successes in cutting
      edge organizations?

      > Let the Ed Tech Hardware Battle Royale begin
      >

      > Big tablets? Little tablets? Convertible tablets? Netbooks? Is the 1:1
      Holy Grail in there somewhere?

      > What's 20 years to a Millennial? An entire lifetime
      >

      > ZDNet�s 20th anniversary: Internet years are kind of like dog years.
      Twenty years is a very long time.

      > Connect with ZDNet
      >

      > Become a fan on Facebook
      >
      > Follow us on Twitter
      >
      > Watch us on YouTube
      >

      > Recommended Downloads
      > Sponsored White papers
      >

      > #yiv1251809632 ul#yiv1251809632medusa {
      > list-style-type:none;padding:0px 5px 0px 5px;margin:0px 7px 0px 7px;}
      > #yiv1251809632 li#yiv1251809632medusa {

      list-style-type:none;margin-left:0px;margin-bottom:12px;font-family:Georgia,
      Times New Roman, Times, serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa {
      > font-weight:bold;color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana,
      Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa:visited {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa:hover {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa-summary {
      > color:#004d99;font-weight:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana,
      Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa-summary:visited {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa-summary:hover {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}

      > Achieve the Next Level of Complete, Integrated Virtualization
      > IT is looking toward the optimized delivery of advanced on-demand services
      and integrated application management. Download this eBook and transform
      your business with a complete and integrated virtualization solution.
      > Remote support for PCs, Macs and Smartphones
      > You need the ability to support users on today's most popular platforms --
      including iPhones and iPads. LogMeIn Rescue can help. Test drive LogMeIn
      Rescue for free and start providing complete on-demand remote support to
      customers and colleagues.
      > Improve the Efficiency of Your Data Center with IBM
      > Learn how to extend the life of existing equipment, cut operational
      expenses by as much as half, and create a flexible, responsive
      infrastructure. IBM can help you build a road map to a more efficient data
      center.
      > BNET Videocast: All Things On Demand
      > Get the advanced capabilities your enterprise needs from a customer
      relationship management (CRM) system with next-generation, on-demand
      solutions.