- Oct 2, 2007Hi All,
Seeing that richard is back on the mailing list. I have a few comments
Its been a while since TTLUG has had a meeting or an election. To me it
seems the group is now only a mailing list with very few events etc. I
do not know when the group last had elections for its executive. I would
like to make the following suggestions:
- Find the TTLUG constitution (if we have one)
- Adopt a LUG constitution (I'm sure there may be a few out there we
could choose from)
- Hold elections for its executive (its election season :) ie.
President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary etc- how about the last
weekend of the month as the election date)
- Candidates for the President should put forward a list of items he/she
wishes to do for the following year with a plan to do so (these should
be a plan to find locations for meetings and possible events and an
action plan to get these things done)
- Only members who attend the meetings should vote (why? - because it
shows a willingness to turn up in person and do something).
Why am i suggesting these things?
- TTLUG use to have meetings once ever 2 weeks- its no longer the case
- Any organization like ours should have elections every year and the
executive change as the group changes
- Although Richard have done a lot for the group over th past seven
years and we should all be thankful for this, he seems to have a lot of
other responsibilities that affect his time and the attention (which is
fair) that the LUG needs. Seven years is a long time to be president, it
might be best that someone else takes charge and moves the group
forward, new blood, new energy. This is not meant to be a personal
attack on Richard. A leader has to know when it time graciously pass on
his chair to the next person who the group chooses (He can make his
recommendation for the next person as I did). I see Richard's continuing
roles (as is mines) to support and provide advice/opinions where and
when necessary. I am not opposed to Richard going up for re-election-
but i do not think its the best thing for the group right now.
On a personal note it saddens me to see TTCS doing things that TTLUG
should be doing, especially since we are much more focussed on Linux and
Open Source with a clear agenda. TTLUG has become nothing more than an
online mailing list, which may be the center of the daily operations of
a LUG, but it is not the only thing a LUG should be.
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>