16274Re: [TTLUG] Re: Ubuntu Open Week

  • Kwesi Stewart
    Dec 1, 2006
      kimanii

      When I was forced to do my php coding in NVU I used to 'try a thing'

      first, design all my pages and save as html
      second, do all my php scripts in SCITE (this used to be sort of a
      problem because it forced me to do all my PHP coding in the top of the
      document (before the head) as time went by however I find my coding had
      improved and it is a good practice
      third, run a script that would combine my php and html files and save in
      an output directory so /x.php + /x.html = /output/x.html
      fourth, reopen the saved html files and add things like dynamic values
      in text boxes, repeating rows etc
      (you can do this in NVU or SCITE)
      fifth, copy the saved html files to php and upload

      for editing, things were a little different:
      run a script that changes php tags to comments ie. <?php becomes <!--
      and ?> becomes -->. I would leave anything like <?=$username?> etc untouched
      rename files to html
      make cosmetic changes in NVU
      revert comments to php (btw, 'real comments' would look like <!--
      #HTMLCOMMENT# -->)
      rename to php
      upload.

      sounds tedious, i know... but once you got the hang of it, it wasn't too
      bad. It also forces separation between code and html... gave me a .net feel.
      i was thinking about writing a code generator for NVU or going in there
      and adding some php support but i never got around to it. instead i
      ended up writing a code generator in PHP. it worked fine for sometime
      until i broke it with some complex database relationships.

      these days i am too busy with C#, MSSQL and point of sale systems anyway :(

      kimanni what i would suggest overall cuz i realize you LOVE the
      wysisyg'ness of NVU/Dreamweaver is to design in NVU and then hand code
      the php in there from a nice editor like SCITE. I like SCITE cuz i can
      get the php autocompletion and hinting in there and also I have it
      working in windows as well. What i like the most about NVU is it gives
      pretty accessible HTML/XHTML code that makes sense and renders pretty
      well without me having to rack my brains too much. Once i settle on a
      design i tend not to return to NVU at all unless I have to make a change.

      Tell me how it goes...

      peace
      Kwesi.