13228Re: [TTLUG] Re: cannot connect to the net - TSTT again?

  • Richard Hamel-Smith
    Jul 2, 2004
      C wrote:

      >># ps axf | grep ppp
      >>
      >>look like?
      >>

      >SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
      >Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
      >http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
      >root 3707 0.0 0.5 2472 1112 pts/2 S 23:21 0:00
      >/usr/sbin/pppd 115200 modem crtscts defaultroute usehostname -detach
      >user cttrc noipdefault call wvdial usepeerdns idle 300 logfd 6
      >root 3736 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp

      What's this 'usepeerdns' thingy? I also don't recognise 'cttrc'. They
      may be all right. I just don't know what they do.
      The rest of the options seem familar.

      >>What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
      >>minicom?
      >>I used to do this once,
      >> 1. connect using minicom
      >> 2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
      >> 3. launch pppd manually
      >> 4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually
      >>

      >unsure of how to do this. The most I've played with minicom is to
      >configure some routers.

      Basically, you link /dev/modem to whichever port your modem is attached
      to, and then run minicom.
      Then, you do

      atdt6195638

      to connect to TSTT.

      You should see some kind of login prompt. Enter username, passwd. It
      should start PPP on that end automatically, which
      looks like garbage characters coming across the line. Then, you hit
      Ctrl-A,Q to quit with reset.
      Then run 'pppd'.

      Buss it to another terminal and check with

      ps axf | grep ppp

      ifconfig ppp0

      route add default gw etc.

      NB: linux does not support 'ps -aux'. Yeah, I know. It caught after
      years of using UNIX too.

      >>Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
      >>I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them
      >>

      >manually.
      >

      >there are no pppX lines cause I can't establish a connection?

      Yeah, usually there aren't but one problem I came up against, was that
      ppp connections were forming, but not
      correctly. I ended up with several before I thought to run 'ifconfig'
      and realised what was happening.

      If you can get through with the minicom thing, then I suggest it's due
      to some parameter being passed to ppp on its command line.

      Richard
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic