13222Re: [TTLUG] Re: cannot connect to the net - TSTT again?

  • Richard Hamel-Smith
    Jul 1, 2004
      C wrote:
      > All these are present(uncommented) in /boot/config-2.6.5-7.75-default
      >
      >>CONFIG_PPP=m
      >>CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
      >>CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
      >>CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
      >>CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
      >>

      > Interestingly enough, I did an update through yast2 (I got an hour on
      > a T1 to test :) ) and updated my kernel but theres no
      > /usr/src/linux/.config.

      The .config is generated if you do a 'make config'. It may or may not be
      present otherwise.

      > doing the lsmod after wvdial,
      >
      > SOL:/home/clay # lsmod
      > Module Size Used by
      > ppp_async 11904 0
      > ppp_generic 29332 1 ppp_async
      > slhc 7552 1 ppp_generic
      > ipv6 236800 6
      >
      > yours was
      >

      >>ppp_async 7520
      >>ppp_generic 15452
      >>slhc 5040
      >>

      > hmmm different values; what does it mean?

      Possibly, it's becoz we are running different versions of the kernel.

      Ok, so the modem connects, starts PPP and then it dies.

      While the connect attempt is happening, what does the output of

      # ps axf | grep ppp

      look like?

      Do you have an old lock file in /var/lock, by any strange chance?

      What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
      minicom?
      I used to do this once,
      1. connect using minicom
      2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
      3. launch pppd manually
      4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually

      Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
      I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them manually.

      Have you tried writing a ppp dialer program script? I have an old one
      somewhere that used to work for me
      when all else failed. I'm attaching it, in case you want to try it.

      C, bro, I'm stumped. I'm currently running Slackware and I haven't
      looked at 2.6 yet, so there's not much more
      I can suggest. Maybe you can run 'strace' against pppd and check the
      output for some file or device it's trying to open?

      Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
      Richard

      ----------

      #!/bin/sh
      #
      # Script to initiate a ppp connection. This is the first part of the
      # pair of scripts. This is not a secure pair of scripts as the codes
      # are visible with the 'ps' command. However, it is simple.
      #
      # These are the parameters. Change as needed.
      TELEPHONE=619-5638 # The telephone number for the connection
      ACCOUNT=myaccount # The account name for logon (as in 'George Burns')
      PASSWORD=mypassword # The password for this account (and 'Gracie Allen')
      LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0 # Local IP address if known. Dynamic = 0.0.0.0
      REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0 # Remote IP address if desired. Normally 0.0.0.0
      NETMASK=255.255.255.0 # The proper netmask if needed
      PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
      #
      # Export them so that they will be available at 'ppp-on-dialer' time.
      export TELEPHONE ACCOUNT PASSWORD PATH
      #
      # This is the location of the script which dials the phone and logs
      # in. Please use the absolute file name as the $PATH variable is not
      # used on the connect option. (To do so on a 'root' account would be
      # a security hole so don't ask.)
      #
      DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
      #
      # Initiate the connection
      #
      # I put most of the common options on this command. Please, don't
      # forget the 'lock' option or some programs such as mgetty will not
      # work. The asyncmap and escape will permit the PPP link to work with
      # a telnet or rlogin connection. You are welcome to make any changes
      # as desired. Don't use the 'defaultroute' option if you currently
      # have a default route to an ethernet gateway.
      #
      #exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem /dev/ttyS0 115200 \
      #asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
      #noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

      exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem /dev/ttyS0 115200 \
      asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
      noauth noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT &

      ----------

      #!/bin/sh
      #
      # This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
      # protocol for the desired connection.
      #
      exec chat -v \
      TIMEOUT 3 \