kenwood 599d twins

  • yash@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
      Just put the twins on the air,what a pair. Have a coupla of questions.
      the r-599d has a aux position on the band switch. the manual talks about putting in a crystal for WWV and peaking it with the aux trimmer. Why couldn't I put a crystal for 17 meters in ,peak it and listen to 17? just listen ,no transmit.
      73
      dale wt4t

    • Terry Wagoner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
        Hi Dale:

        I bought a TS-830 from you maybe 2 years ago now. Still have it as a spare rig. Do you still have your Hex beam? I spend winters at Fort Myers Beach and remember coming to your canal home in Cape Coral.

        Will let the 599 experts help you. Just wanted to say hello.

        73s Terry
        K9TW

      • yash@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
          Terry
          Hello, been a long time. stop and say hello if you get back one of these days.
          dale wt4t

          I bought a TS-830 from you maybe 2 years ago now. Still have it as a spare rig. Do you still have your Hex beam? I spend winters at Fort Myers Beach and remember coming to your canal home in Cape Coral.

          Will let the 599 experts help you. Just wanted to say hello.

          73s Terry
          K9TW

          --- In TS-520_820_530_830@yahoogroups.com, "yash@..." <yash@...> wrote:

          > Just put the twins on the air,what a pair. Have a coupla of questions.
          > the r-599d has a aux position on the band switch. the manual talks about putting in a crystal for WWV and peaking it with the aux trimmer. Why couldn't I put a crystal for 17 meters in ,peak it and listen to 17? just listen ,no transmit.
          > 73
          > dale wt4t

        • Jim Showker
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
            The problem is that you need the associated tuned circuitry for that
            band to work, ant coil/cap etc and mix coil/cap etc. You might be able
            to change the cap that goes with the ant coil and mix coil in WWV
            position so as to get them to resonate in the 17 band. Sounds like a
            lot of work though.

            Jm

            On 7/18/2013 7:19 AM, yash@... wrote:

            > Just put the twins on the air,what a pair. Have a coupla of questions.
            > the r-599d has a aux position on the band switch. the manual talks
            > about putting in a crystal for WWV and peaking it with the aux
            > trimmer. Why couldn't I put a crystal for 17 meters in ,peak it and
            > listen to 17? just listen ,no transmit.
            > 73
            > dale wt4t

          • W5RKL
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
              Dale,

              You will need the appropriate 17 meter AUX "ANT, RF, and OSC" coil plus
              the correct crystal frequency to listen to 17 Meters. The R599D manual
              shows the ANT, RF, and OSC coil part numbers plus the crystal frequency
              to listen to 15Mhz WWV in the aux position. I can't say with any
              certainty but you may be able to modify or adjust the 15Mhz WWV coils
              plus install the appropriate crystal to listen on 18 meters.

              73
              Mike W5RKL

              On 7/18/2013 9:19 AM, yash@... wrote:

              > Just put the twins on the air,what a pair. Have a coupla of questions.
              > the r-599d has a aux position on the band switch. the manual talks
              > about putting in a crystal for WWV and peaking it with the aux
              > trimmer. Why couldn't I put a crystal for 17 meters in ,peak it and
              > listen to 17? just listen ,no transmit.
              > 73
              > dale wt4t

            • Terry Wagoner
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
                Dale:

                OK hope to get back this winter, but we are helping my daughter by watching our 5 year old grand daughter. We normally come down in early Nov and go back by 2nd week of April. I went to Tampa hamfest and the local club has a regular swap meet in a park not too far from you as I recall.

                We rented our place out this past season for the first time and I dont enjoy being an absentee landlord. Dont want to have to do that again.

                If we get down plan to visit Ken Kempski at Sarasota and will give you a call.

                Best 73s

              • yash@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
                  Mike
                  thats what I was asking, if she will do 15mhz, maybe do 18mhz.
                  dale wt4t

                  On 7/18/2013 9:19 AM, yash@... wrote:

                  > Just put the twins on the air,what a pair. Have a coupla of questions.
                  > the r-599d has a aux position on the band switch. the manual talks
                  > about putting in a crystal for WWV and peaking it with the aux
                  > trimmer. Why couldn't I put a crystal for 17 meters in ,peak it and
                  > listen to 17? just listen ,no transmit.
                  > 73
                  > dale wt4t

                • Dale Parfitt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
                    I guess the place to start Dale is to put in the crystal and see if you can get the oscillator to take off w/o modifying the 15MHz coil.

                    Dale W4OP

                    On 7/18/2013 9:19 AM, yash@... wrote:

                    > Just put the twins on the air,what a pair. Have a coupla of questions.
                    > the r-599d has a aux position on the band switch. the manual talks
                    > about putting in a crystal for WWV and peaking it with the aux
                    > trimmer. Why couldn't I put a crystal for 17 meters in ,peak it and
                    > listen to 17? just listen ,no transmit.
                    > 73
                    > dale wt4t

                    No virus found in this message.