Re: [TS-520_820_530_830] Digest Number 535

  • Aaron B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi Bill,
      It is hard to believe but my TS 830 healed itself. The problem that I had of low output on SSB went away. The radio now works as good as before with about 100 watts output. I run about 50 watts on RTTY now though having learned my lesson. This is a 1987 radio and the tubes were never changed either the driver or finals.
      Thanks again,
      Aaron - WC2C

    • Bill K0ZL
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        Well PTL for that! hi..

        Suspect dirty relay contacts or bad solder joint
        somewhere. If it comes back, you will know which one
        it is.

        Vy 73 and enjoy! Sounds like ten meters is open again
        today (Monday) but everyone is at work. Except us.

        --- "Aaron B." <abroges@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bill,
        > It is hard to believe but my TS 830 healed
        > itself. The problem that I had of low output on SSB
        > went away. The radio now works as good as before
        > with about 100 watts output. I run about 50 watts on
        > RTTY now though having learned my lesson. This is a
        > 1987 radio and the tubes were never changed either
        > the driver or finals.
        > Thanks again,
        > Aaron - WC2C

        > removed]

        =====

        "If in doubt, MODIFY" --k0zl

        Need a tech? See our website www.amateur-repairs.com

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • keith hanks
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hello again all,

          I itroduced myself way back at message 1603 and have read everything since. I still do not have many minutes at a time to play with the radio but my sons and I just managed to get 12 radial wires into the ground for my vertical antenna, 4 each on three of the four directions, the house is in the way on the fourth. The yard is small enough that we had to bend them a bit to work but hopefully now I have them in for 10-40M. 80M was just too long of a wire to even think about doing.

          Today I am taking the day off and will be working on my antenna again. In order to tune it I need to clamp a tap onto the base loading coil. Since this is a nuisance I have rigged a box with switches and am going to be soldering permanent switched connections, so hopefully, all I will have to do is to flip the right switch and then use my tuner to fine tune.

          To update on my setup -

          I started with a 520 SE (that came with a Kenwood MC-50 microphone) that I could not convince myself was working. Even though I could hear I was not able to get anyone to respond to me. I bought a second radio, a 520S that I wanted to use for field day, but it turned out that the SE worked great with a long wire dipole in our church parking lot. I was able to contact from Sacramento to the North to San Diego to the South and Arizona to the East, on 40 M. Right now both radios are sitting side by side, but the RF ground is hooked to the 520S. I was able to make one contact on 20M the other day so I at least know that something is getting out. I bought one of the (BOYB??? antenna analysers) and use that to tune the antenna. I just picked up an old B&W protax coax switch that I hope to use to connect both radios to the tuner/antenna without having to dig around on the back of the boxes to unhook the antenna wire. I just came up with a roll of braided wire that I am going to redo all of my grounding with.

          I wanted to get a second microphone so that I won't be switching back and forth and decided from all of the discussions about Astatic D-104 and Hiel elements to try that route. The mike was a cheap as is and is turning into a project. Right now it's component pieces are all over my table and I am trying to figure out if the board is any good. The microphone element that came in it is trash, so it is just as well that I bought the Hiel element. (What do people use for filling up the extra space inside the microphone head?)

          This was a very long winded way of saying that if I can get my box connected to my loading coil before about 2 pm PST I may try to make some 10 M contacts if the band stays open.

          Keith,

          KG6TPU

          (I was trying to listen for Sean the other day when he was trying to get his station on the air but we missed on the timing, It sounds like he has been succesful though.)

          =====

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
            HI Keith,

            well the band is open, but hardly any users.. all at
            work in this hemisphere I guess!

            Congrats on the ant work.

            =====

            "If in doubt, MODIFY" --k0zl