Re: Gauging how big players are leaning

  • csw20020101
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
      Thanks. I am aware of the active trader capability to display recent Time and Sale data (as well some sort of market profile chart). I am more in need of directly charting number of contracts hitting bids vs offers and sizes of these contracts.

      --- In TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com, Options Vic <optionsvic@...> wrote:

      > In the ActiveTrader, there's a option to view 'Trade Cnt' which is the Trade
      > count, smaller this count and bigger the volume is a good indicator that
      > it's the big players calling the shots. A simple ratio of Volume to TradeCnt
      > is not available in ActiveTrader; I've put the request in via support,
      > hopefully they'll get to it in one of these releases.
      >

      > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM, paul messerschmidt
      > <financepaul@...>wrote:
      >

      > > tos has been offering time and sales data for quite some time.
      > >
      > > you can access it two ways
      > >
      > > > when in 'trade' 'active trader' mode, click the vertically-aligned 'time
      > > and sales' tab in the upper right of the screen
      > >
      > > > use 'gadgets' tool then select the 'time and sales' radio-button.
      > >
      > > each allows you to create a custom filter for trade size.
      > >
      > > these applications can be used for futures, stocks, and options
      > >
      > > just remember, with the increased use of high-speed trading, the 'big
      > > players' are doing lots of small trades that will slip past your filter.
      > > recent reports confirm this, with more trading volume, but average trade
      > > size is considerably smaller.
      > >

      > > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM, csw20020101 <receive.files@...>wrote:
      > >

      > >> One way to find out which way market is heading is looking at how big
      > >> players are leaning (in the context of ES trading, I typically define those
      > >> as trading 100 lots).
      > >>
      > >> Ideally, one should look at how many contracts are being bought/sold on
      > >> bids/offers by big players vs those of smaller players. This would allow one
      > >> to trade divergence set-up quite nicely (say big guys leaning hard on bid
      > >> and small players leaning on offer - I'd fade any move-up) or momentum
      > >> trading (when both big and smaller players are in the same direction)
      > >>
      > >> However, to do this sort of study, one needs to be able to access time and
      > >> sales data and as yet, I don't believe TOS has implemented this
      > >> functionalities. Does anyone have got any suggestions on how we may be able
      > >> to approximate it using existing data set (perhaps using tick chart)?
      > >>

      > > --
      > > Paul Messerschmidt
      > > paul.messerschmidt (skype)
      > > +1-813-334-8682 (mobile)

    • Dr.S. Dorairaj
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010

        Hi Options Vic:

        Can you help me where to find the  'Trade Cnt' button in the AT tab?

        Thanks,

        Raj

        To: TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com
        From: receive.files@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 05:57:14 +0000
        Subject: [TOS_thinkscript] Re: Gauging how big players are leaning

        Thanks. I am aware of the active trader capability to display recent Time and Sale data (as well some sort of market profile chart). I am more in need of directly charting number of contracts hitting bids vs offers and sizes of these contracts.

        --- In TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com, Options Vic <optionsvic@...> wrote:

        > In the ActiveTrader, there's a option to view 'Trade Cnt' which is the Trade
        > count, smaller this count and bigger the volume is a good indicator that
        > it's the big players calling the shots. A simple ratio of Volume to TradeCnt
        > is not available in ActiveTrader; I've put the request in via support,
        > hopefully they'll get to it in one of these releases.
        >

        > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM, paul messerschmidt
        > <financepaul@...>wrote:
        >

        > > tos has been offering time and sales data for quite some time.
        > >
        > > you can access it two ways
        > >
        > > > when in 'trade' 'active trader' mode, click the vertically-aligned 'time
        > > and sales' tab in the upper right of the screen
        > >
        > > > use 'gadgets' tool then select the 'time and sales' radio-button.
        > >
        > > each allows you to create a custom filter for trade size.
        > >
        > > these applications can be used for futures, stocks, and options
        > >
        > > just remember, with the increased use of high-speed trading, the 'big
        > > players' are doing lots of small trades that will slip past your filter.
        > > recent reports confirm this, with more trading volume, but average trade
        > > size is considerably smaller.
        > >

        > > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM, csw20020101 <receive.files@...>wrote:
        > >

        > >> One way to find out which way market is heading is looking at how big
        > >> players are leaning (in the context of ES trading, I typically define those
        > >> as trading 100 lots).
        > >>
        > >> Ideally, one should look at how many contracts are being bought/sold on
        > >> bids/offers by big players vs those of smaller players. This would allow one
        > >> to trade divergence set-up quite nicely (say big guys leaning hard on bid
        > >> and small players leaning on offer - I'd fade any move-up) or momentum
        > >> trading (when both big and smaller players are in the same direction)
        > >>
        > >> However, to do this sort of study, one needs to be able to access time and
        > >> sales data and as yet, I don't believe TOS has implemented this
        > >> functionalities. Does anyone have got any suggestions on how we may be able
        > >> to approximate it using existing data set (perhaps using tick chart)?
        > >>

        > > --
        > > Paul Messerschmidt
        > > paul.messerschmidt (skype)
        > > +1-813-334-8682 (mobile)

        Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!
      • Gmail Options

          From: receive.files@gmail.com
          Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 05:57:14 +0000

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
            Thanks Options Vic.

            I did get to see the volume and tick count numbers but the numbers don't seems to be dynamic and doesn't change . Am I missing something here?

            I am interested to see the minimum transactions with maximem volume to judge the turning points , say  a ratio of more than 20 (volume/# of transactions=20) .

            Appreciate your advise.

            Regards,

            Raj

            To: TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com
            CC: tos_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com

            From: receive.files@gmail.com
            Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 05:57:14 +0000

            Thanks. I am aware of the active trader capability to display recent Time and Sale data (as well some sort of market profile chart). I am more in need of directly charting number of contracts hitting bids vs offers and sizes of these contracts.

            --- In TOS_thinkscript@ yahoogroups. com, Options Vic <optionsvic@. ..> wrote:

            > In the ActiveTrader, there's a option to view 'Trade Cnt' which is the Trade
            > count, smaller this count and bigger the volume is a good indicator that
            > it's the big players calling the shots. A simple ratio of Volume to TradeCnt
            > is not available in ActiveTrader; I've put the request in via support,
            > hopefully they'll get to it in one of these releases.
            >

            > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM, paul messerschmidt
            > <financepaul@ ...>wrote:
            >

            > > tos has been offering time and sales data for quite some time.
            > >
            > > you can access it two ways
            > >
            > > > when in 'trade' 'active trader' mode, click the vertically-aligned 'time
            > > and sales' tab in the upper right of the screen
            > >
            > > > use 'gadgets' tool then select the 'time and sales' radio-button.
            > >
            > > each allows you to create a custom filter for trade size.
            > >
            > > these applications can be used for futures, stocks, and options
            > >
            > > just remember, with the increased use of high-speed trading, the 'big
            > > players' are doing lots of small trades that will slip past your filter.
            > > recent reports confirm this, with more trading volume, but average trade
            > > size is considerably smaller.
            > >

            > > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM, csw20020101 <receive.files@ ...>wrote:
            > >

            > >> One way to find out which way market is heading is looking at how big
            > >> players are leaning (in the context of ES trading, I typically define those
            > >> as trading 100 lots).
            > >>
            > >> Ideally, one should look at how many contracts are being bought/sold on
            > >> bids/offers by big players vs those of smaller players. This would allow one
            > >> to trade divergence set-up quite nicely (say big guys leaning hard on bid
            > >> and small players leaning on offer - I'd fade any move-up) or momentum
            > >> trading (when both big and smaller players are in the same direction)
            > >>
            > >> However, to do this sort of study, one needs to be able to access time and
            > >> sales data and as yet, I don't believe TOS has implemented this
            > >> functionalities. Does anyone have got any suggestions on how we may be able
            > >> to approximate it using existing data set (perhaps using tick chart)?
            > >>

            > > --
            > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --
            > > Paul Messerschmidt
            > > paul.messerschmidt (skype)
            > > +1-813-334-8682 (mobile)

            Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!

            Your Photo on Bing.ca: You Could WIN on Canada Day! Submit a Photo Now!
          • Options Vic
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
            Hi Dr Dorairaj,

            Apologies for delay in getting back to you. See enclosed image of the ActiveTrader with 'Trade Cnt' column - which is what I trust we are talking about.

            The numbers could be aggregated so not dynamically visible in sense that we can see the actual trades in going up/down every minute. I'm really not sure as to how it works, but use it as an very rough/approximate frame of reference.
            Also, I don't believe that one can do a ratio of Volume to Trade Cnt. I've asked TOS support and they've replied negative. If any member has work around to share, it'll be highly appreciated.

            Regards,
            -Vic

            From: receive.files@gmail.com
            Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 05:57:14 +0000