RE: [TOS_thinkscript] Mr. Richard Houser

  • Richard Houser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013

      Not really, you could specify a price level, but on which bar? So for instance let's take IBM and you wanted a price level of say 201, on a daily chart there's nine bars in last sixteen bars that hit 201. Perhaps you want a recent low, again with IBM say the low of 11/15. Without a date input the script would have to look back the price level, something that would seriously complicate the script.

      So you can see a date is necessary to simplify the script. The one I posted allowed you choose one of the TOS supported price types, close, high, low, etc. Are you saying you want to specify a price other than that offered? Perhaps if you could provide an illustration of exactly what you're thinking. Go onto a chart that is relevant to you and use the TOS drawing tool to put in the line that you want (you can't specify an angle so just wing it, it's not important anyway as the angle of attack can be set in the properties of the script), it would be really helpful if you could provide annotation right on the chart if what you're doing is obvious (you can use the TOS drawing tool to add text), and then take a screen shot of it.

      A while back you provided the group with a script to draw a 45 degree angle.

      Would it be possible for you to modify it so that the angle is drawn not from a specific date, but rather from a specific price level?

      Thanks in advance.

    • faustocalzone
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
        I was just wondering if, in addition to inputting a date, you could also specify a price level along with it. I need the trend line to start at a point other than the high or the low on that date.

        --- In TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Houser" <rhouser@...> wrote:

        > Not really, you could specify a price level, but on which bar? So for
        > instance let's take IBM and you wanted a price level of say 201, on a daily
        > chart there's nine bars in last sixteen bars that hit 201. Perhaps you want
        > a recent low, again with IBM say the low of 11/15. Without a date input the
        > script would have to look back the price level, something that would
        > seriously complicate the script.
        >
        > So you can see a date is necessary to simplify the script. The one I posted
        > allowed you choose one of the TOS supported price types, close, high, low,
        > etc. Are you saying you want to specify a price other than that offered?
        > Perhaps if you could provide an illustration of exactly what you're
        > thinking. Go onto a chart that is relevant to you and use the TOS drawing
        > tool to put in the line that you want (you can't specify an angle so just
        > wing it, it's not important anyway as the angle of attack can be set in the
        > properties of the script), it would be really helpful if you could provide
        > annotation right on the chart if what you're doing is obvious (you can use
        > the TOS drawing tool to add text), and then take a screen shot of it.

      • Richard Houser
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013

          You can optionally use built-in prices or specify a price level. To use a specific price set "usePriceLevel = yes" in the properties, and set "priceLevel" to something meaningful for the equity under study. The default is to use built-in prices.

          declare upper;

          input usePriceLevel = no;
          input priceLevel    = 200.0;
          input tosPrice      = low;
          input angleDate     = 20121115;
          input angle         = 45.0;

          def barDate         = GetYYYYMMDD();
          def startPrice      = if usePriceLevel then priceLevel else tosPrice;

          rec _angleLine      = if barDate == angleDate then startPrice else if barDate > angleDate then _angleLine[1] + Tan( angle * Double.Pi / 180  ) else Double.NaN;

          plot AngleLine      = _angleLine;

          --- In TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Houser" wrote:

          > Not really, you could specify a price level, but on which bar? So for
          > instance let's take IBM and you wanted a price level of say 201, on a daily
          > chart there's nine bars in last sixteen bars that hit 201. Perhaps you want
          > a recent low, again with IBM say the low of 11/15. Without a date input the
          > script would have to look back the price level, something that would
          > seriously complicate the script.
          >
          > So you can see a date is necessary to simplify the script. The one I posted
          > allowed you choose one of the TOS supported price types, close, high, low,
          > etc. Are you saying you want to specify a price other than that offered?
          > Perhaps if you could provide an illustration of exactly what you're
          > thinking. Go onto a chart that is relevant to you and use the TOS drawing
          > tool to put in the line that you want (you can't specify an angle so just
          > wing it, it's not important anyway as the angle of attack can be set in the
          > properties of the script), it would be really helpful if you could provide
          > annotation right on the chart if what you're doing is obvious (you can use
          > the TOS drawing tool to add text), and then take a screen shot of it.

        • faustocalzone
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
            This is exactly what I was looking for.

            I don't even know how to express my appreciation!