RE: [TOS_thinkscript] Re: Custom Scan

  • Robert M Bernard
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012

      Well, not knowing what you’ve done and not knowing your familiarization with the platform, let’s start from the beginning.  There are probably many ways to do what you want, and this is only one method.  I have never seen the error you referenced so I don’t know what you might have done wrong.

      TOS will not allow you to save the scan unless you name it.

      1. Open any TOS chart and then click on the ‘Studies’ drop down, then ‘Edit Studies’.  That will open the Edit Studies and Strategies window.
      2. Click on New in the lower left corner to open a new study window.
      3. In the window will be one statement, plot Data = close;  Delete that line and paste in the following lines:

      # usage: scan_newhigh()==1

      def newhigh = close>highest(close[1],10);

      def avg = average(volume,90);

      plot trigger = if newhigh && avg>100000 && close>.01 && close < 3 then 1 else 0;

      Save this study, I named mine ‘scan_newhigh’.  You’ll need to name yours the same to get the scan to work.

      (Note: I use the word ‘scan’ in the name to make it easier to find my custom scans)

      1. The study will show up on your chart but you don’t want it there, so remove it from the chart. And close the ‘Edit Studies and Strategies’ window.
      2. Now go to the Scan tab, then Stock Hacker.  In the ‘load scan query’ dropdown select ‘Create New Scan Query’ to get the following window:

      1. Click on each of the 3 red x’s to delete those parameters. Then click on Add Study Filter.  Under ‘Criteria’ you will see ADXCrossover in the selection box.  Click on that box (it is a dropdown as well) and select ‘Custom’ at the bottom of that dropdown and you get this window:

      Delete the only line of code in the window and paste this into it: scan_newhigh() == 1 you’ll now see this:

      Click OK, name the scan whatever you like and click Save. Then click the ‘Scan’ button.  A list of stocks will appear after a short delay.

      1. You should now have the scan you want.  A note will probably pop up telling you that if you change the study, the change won’t be referenced by the scan.

      I hope this helps,

      Bob

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hello Robert!

        Great job...very clear and easy to follow...thank you very much!

        Best regards,
        Susan

        Thank you very much for your help Robert!

        I have followed everything but get an error on the last step when I copy and paste "scan_newhigh()==1"

        It says "calcValue:missing parameter"

        it does not allow me to hit 'ok' and 'save'

        Any suggestions?

        --- In TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M Bernard" <robertmbernard@...> wrote:

        > One last thing. When you first create the study, TOS charts will think you
        > want the study on the chart. You don't. Remove it from the chart but don't
        > delete it.
        >

        > _____

      • Ashif
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
          Thank you Bob!!

          Everything worked out for me this time. I really appreciate your help. Your instructions were extremely clear and concise!

          Thanks again!

          Ash

          --- In TOS_thinkscript@yahoogroups.com, Susan Sherrard <SLSTW@...> wrote:

          > Hello Robert!
          >

          > Great job...very clear and easy to follow...thank you very much!
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Susan

        • Robert M Bernard
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012

            Yes, I like the idea behind your search.  I’m allocating a small portion to these stocks.  I was in TASR long ago and took a 66% gain only to miss out on several thousand percent gain.  Same with NutriSystem.

            I figure you can buy 5 or 10 of these, make money on only 1 and still be way up.  I’m up nicely in one that I bought at the close yesterday.  But be careful.

            I believe that if you modify the study you’ll have to modify the scan as well in order for it to pick up on your study modifications.

            Anyway, glad you like it.