[Blog/Commentary] [USA] Mel Wymore for NYC City Council

  • Stephanie Stevens
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      Daily Kos, USA

      Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 04:00 PM PDT

      Mel Wymore for NYC City Council

      by rserven <http://www.dailykos.com/user/rserven> for TransAction
      <http://www.dailykos.com/blog/TransAction>

      I first brought Mel Wymore to your attention…or tried to do so…in
      December of 2011
      <http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/30/1050013/-Meet-Mel-Wymore-Transman-runs-for-New-York-City-Council>
      , when he announced he was going to run for the New York City District
      6 City Council seat to succeed retiring Councilwoman Gale Brewer.

      District 6 is also known as Upper Clinton, Lincoln Square, and the
      Upper West Side.

      As I wrote at the time:

      He's well qualified, having served on Community Board 7 for over a
      decade. Mel ran for Chair of CB7 in the 90s and lost, but didn't give
      up, running for Chair again in 2009 and winning.

      Mel has lived in the neighborhood for 24 years, moving to The City
      from Arizona at the age of 26.

      Wymore is now 51.

      I apologize for the fact that I do not know how to stop this video
      from playing automatically:

      [VIDEO available at
      http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1102ih_transgender-candidate-running-in-nyc_news%5d

      Now that the election is nearing, Wymore is starting to become more
      apparent in the news
      <http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/18/2852314/transgender-candidate-could-become.html>
      . And his status as a transman in what is starting to stand out in
      those articles. If he wins, he will become the first ever openly
      transgender person elected to public office in New York City and one
      of only a handful of transpeople ever elected in the country.

      [Photo: Mel with Leah Gunn Barrett, executive director of New Yorkers
      Against Gun Violence at gun law rally]

      I want to create the inclusive community, and it goes beyond my
      personal identity. But it actually lends a lot to my story and my
      credibility as a candidate. I'm honest, I'm brave, I'm forthright,
      and I'm willing to stand up for change.

      --Wymore

      Wymore is a Democrat, running on a message of "inclusion and care for
      the EArth and care for each other." He has several opponents.

      Mel is a systems engineer, specializing in structuring and managing
      complex projects.

      During 17 years on a city-appointed community board, two as
      chairman, Wymore raised money to renovate a run-down city recreation
      center that reopened Monday after facing a shaky future for years,
      among other projects. Colleagues say he's eagerly consultative but
      focused on finding resolution.

      [Photo: Mel at the opening of the Gertrude Ederle Recreation Center
      <http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/recreationcenters/M063> ]

      Wymore earned a master's degree at the University of Arizona and
      worked for an aerospace company before moving to New York to further a
      relationship which became a marriage. Mel bore two children in that
      marriage. When Mel turned 35, Mel noticed something was wrong and
      came out as a lesbian. A decade later, still missing the joy in life,
      Mel witnessed an interview with a transgender boy at an anti-bullying
      event.

      [Photo: Mel with his children, Riley and Rowyn Paul]

      It suddenly hit me that it was gender that was at the core. And,
      of course, it terrified me at the same moment because I'd already been
      through this family-disrupting, life-changing transition.

      --Mel Wymore

      A Community Board member at the time, Mel's colleagues were accepting.

      People knew him before and knew what kind of person he was.

      --Madge Rosenberg

      Not everything went smoothly during his transition. He says he
      experienced some alienating moments. The experience made him more
      determined to advocate for the disabled, the elderly, and others who
      feel overlooked.

      [E]veryone feels excluded some time or another, for some thing or another.

      --Wymore

      Wymore's opponents include Green Party candidate Tom Siracuse and
      several Democrats: restaurant executive Ken Biberaj; Democratic
      Committeewoman Debra Cooper; Noah Gotbaum, founder of the volunteer
      group New York Cares and a son of a prominent labor leader and stepson
      of a former city public advocate; Democratic district leader Marc
      Landis; and former community board chairwoman Helen Rosenthal.

      The Democratic primary is in September. The general election is in November.

      Transwoman Melissa Sklarz, president of the Stonewall Democrat Club of
      New York City, has said that her position precludes her from endorsing
      Wymore, but described Mel's candidacy as "an opportunity for
      transgender people everywhere."

      He’s a great representative. Many people only know of
      transgender, I guess, from watching Chaz Bono on ‘Dancing With the
      Stars.’ Mel Wymore brings a much different, broader experience.

      --Melissa Sklarz
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/nyregion/mel-wymore-transgender-man-runs-for-new-york-council.html>

      Wymore does have the endorsement of the Victory Fund
      <http://www.victoryfund.org/endorsed_candidates/profile/candidate:773>
      , which selected him as one of their focus races. You can contribute
      at that link.

      You can follow Mel on Twitter: @melwymore. And he's on Facebook:
      VoteMelWymore <https://www.facebook.com/votemelwymore> .

      I got an email from Mel two days ago asking for volunteers for phone
      banking, etc…which I accidentally deleted (There are some things I
      dislike about my iPad). But if you have the time and inclination, I'm
      sure he'd love to have your assistance.

      © Kos Media, LLC

      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/22/1218011/-Mel-Wymore-for-NYC-City-Council