EN [FL,USA] Transgender Rights Gain in Florida

  • Meryl Sizemore
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      Gay City News - New York City, NY, USA

      Transgender Rights Gain in Florida

      By: ANDY HUMM

      01/31/2008

      The city commissioners in Gainesville, Florida voted 4-3 on January 29
      to amend the human rights ordinance to ban discrimination on the basis
      of gender identity and expression.

      During the debate, Commissioner Ed Braddy argued, "When you boil it
      down, the issue is that because some people who have some sort of
      emotional or psychological issue, others have to change." Most of the
      those who testified spoke against the bill.

      Michelle Phillips, a transgendered woman from the University of
      Florida, told the Gainesville Sun, "I disagree with us being diagnosed
      as 'mental cases.' I just wish that people would understand that we
      are not predators."

      http://gaycitynews.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19252017&BRD=2729&PAG=461&dept_id=568857&rfi=6