EN [USA] ENDA Vote Again Delayed

  • Autumn Sandeen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      ENDA Vote Again Delayed

      by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

      http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/10/103107enda.htm

      (Washington) For the second time in two weeks a vote has been put
      off on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

      The vote originally was to have been taken last week, but was moved
      to today because of other pressing business in the House.

      "We're hoping it comes up next week," Steve Adamske, Congressman
      Barney Frank's press aide told 365Gay.com Wednesday.

      The delays have resulted in increased lobbying on both sides of the
      issue.

      "We're making sure we have the votes in line," Adamske said.

      The vote delays are are the latest in a series of problems ENDA has
      encountered.

      It originally included all members of the LGBT community, but Frank
      (D-Mass), the bill's author, removed gender identity fearing the
      legislation might not get out of committee.

      The move angered most LGBT rights groups, many of whom accused Frank
      of selling out transsexuals.

      Nevertheless, the revised bill passed the House Education and Labor
      Committee last week on a 27 - 21 vote. (story) Several committee
      Democrats, including presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich refused
      to support the measure without the inclusion of protections for
      trans people.

      Following the vote Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) proposed an amendment
      that would reinstate gender identity and secured the support of
      House leadership to introduce it Wednesday when ENDA reaches the
      floor. (story)

      Frank and Baldwin are the only two out members of Congress.

      Frank has said he would support the amendment and has been lobbying
      for its passage. (story)

      ENDA, as currently worded, would make it illegal for employers to
      discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in hiring, firing,
      promoting or paying an employee.

      There are, however, some notable exceptions. It does not cover
      small businesses, churches and the uniformed members of the armed
      forces.

      A Senate version has yet to be introduced.

      Last week the White House said the bill is likely unconstitutional
      and that if it passes in Congress the president's senior aides would
      recommend vetoing it. (story)

      "[The bill] is inconsistent with the right to the free exercise of
      religion as codified by Congress in the Religious Freedom
      Restoration Act (RFRA)," the White House said in a statement.

      The threatened veto is the second against LGBT legislation before
      Congress. The other is the Matthew Shepard Hate Crime Act.

      That legislation has passed the House. The Senate version passed as
      an amendment to a military spending bill. The two versions are now
      in conference.

      C365Gay.com 2007

      -----------

      Copyright Statement: Material appearing in this e-mail is
      distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have
      expressed an interest in receiving the article material for research
      and educational purposes. This is in accordance with Title 17 U. S.
      C. section 107. Please note that distribution of articles doesn't
      constitute endorsement of the articles' content; "opposition"
      articles are distributed to educate interested readership about
      contrary and unfavorable standpoints.

      -----

      ~~Autumn Sandeen~~
      Transgender Advocacy And Services Center (TASC) of San Diego
      Planning Group Member
      transgendernews YahooGroup News Archivist/Moderator

      On the web:
      - The View From (Ab)Normal Heights (http://abnormalheights.org)
      - Ex-Gay Watch (http://www.exgaywatch.com)

      -----
      "[T]he job of the gay community is not to deal with extremists who
      would castigate us or put us on an island and drop an H-bomb on us.
      The fact of the matter is that there is a small percentage of people
      in America who understand the true nature of the homosexual
      community. There is another small percentage who will never
      understand us. Our job is not to get those people who dislike us to
      love us. Nor was our aim in the civil rights movement to get
      prejudiced white people to love us. Our aim was to try to create the
      kind of America, legislatively, morally, and psychologically, such
      that even though some whites continued to hate us, they could not
      openly manifest that hate. That's our job today: to control the
      extent to which people can publicly manifest antigay sentiment."
      --Bayard Rustin; From Montgomery to Stonewall (1986)