Re: HWAG - Hardware Angle Generator User' Guide (SPNU203)

  • Sandy
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 13, 2008
      I think if you going to do Engine angle detection I think you can do
      it with the HET as I recall seeing an application note or something
      like that a while ago (Not sure where). I was looking at doing an ECU
      with the TMS part as well, very nice underated chip series, but not
      much activity around here. Motorola has similar parts that are for
      the Automotive sector with similar co-processors (TPU) that do it
      all. I think you can get some of them with dual TPU's in the ARM
      cores, but they are similarly hard to get as designed for large
      volume Automotive customers.

      Sandy

      --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "aruiz_tms470" <aruiz_tms470@...>
      wrote:

      > Hallo,
      >
      > Had anyone already worked with the HWAG ( Hardware Angle
      Generator )
      > feature of TMS470?
      >
      > After contacting TI I was able to download SPNU203 ( you won't find
      > that file over the TI's web site ) but now I'm not sure if any
      TMS470
      > will come up with HWAG.
      >
      > I'm willing to use TMS470R1B512PGET, but not sure if this variant
      comes
      > with HWAG.
      >
      > I would appreciate if someone could clarify about what devices
      comes
      > with this feature and if TMS470R1B512 comes with it or not.
      >
      > Appreciated.
      >
      > Alex

    • ljupco75
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2008
        It is possible to use the HET in SWAG mode (Software Angle Generator)
        to track the engine angle. I'm also developing a ECU for racing
        applications, and have been asking TI about HWAG many times without
        any luck. They allways answer that they cannot help me and that all
        information about the TMS470 is on their web page. Please if someone
        knows anything about the HWAG, let me know.

        Regards
        Ljupco Trajkovski
        --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy" <sganz@...> wrote:

        > I think if you going to do Engine angle detection I think you can
        do
        > it with the HET as I recall seeing an application note or something
        > like that a while ago (Not sure where). I was looking at doing an
        ECU
        > with the TMS part as well, very nice underated chip series, but not
        > much activity around here. Motorola has similar parts that are for
        > the Automotive sector with similar co-processors (TPU) that do it
        > all. I think you can get some of them with dual TPU's in the ARM
        > cores, but they are similarly hard to get as designed for large
        > volume Automotive customers.
        >
        > Sandy
        >
        > --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "aruiz_tms470" <aruiz_tms470@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hallo,
        > >
        > > Had anyone already worked with the HWAG ( Hardware Angle
        > Generator )
        > > feature of TMS470?
        > >
        > > After contacting TI I was able to download SPNU203 ( you won't
        find
        > > that file over the TI's web site ) but now I'm not sure if any
        > TMS470
        > > will come up with HWAG.
        > >
        > > I'm willing to use TMS470R1B512PGET, but not sure if this variant
        > comes
        > > with HWAG.
        > >
        > > I would appreciate if someone could clarify about what devices
        > comes
        > > with this feature and if TMS470R1B512 comes with it or not.
        > >
        > > Appreciated.
        > >
        > > Alex

      • aruiz_tms470
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2008
          Is it possible to implement Windowing Filter for Toothed Wheel Input
          like HWAG does, using standard HET?

          Noise on toothwheel input is my main concern. Right now I'm able to
          use standard timer available on most microcontrolles and apply a
          prediction algorithm in order to make this windowing filter.

          I don't have experience with HET, if someone knows that it's possible
          to do this feature, please let me know, then I'll step back and
          finish my PCB using TMS470 even knowing I will get ZERO support from
          TI, even knowing that I´ll delay my time-to-market by several months
          because of TI's hard-to-read documentation. Any datasheet, source
          code, should be read as easy to read as a romance.

          Without having any experience with HET, I think it might be possible
          to program HET to generate an interrupt on any tooth. Then the
          interrupt handler will extract all information from HET's registers
          in order to decide for how long to disable interrupts, but it's just
          a guess.

          I may be wrong but it sounds scary to move on without this kind of
          feature on a ECU.

          Here is the description about what HWAG does to implement this
          windowing filter.:

          "
          Input Noise Filtering

          The toothed wheel input comes out from an analog part and is very
          sensitive to external noise. Therefore, some glitches could be
          inserted in the signal and the input might need to be filtered.
          The HWAG provides a digital filter on the toothed wheel input signal
          before its use inside the core. The filter behaves like a window on
          the input signal, meaning that the signal is blocked and has no
          effect inside of the HWAG during the window. The HWAG provides two
          filter registers which behave the same in term of filtering.
          The filters allow the input signal to be valid after n angle ticks.
          The n angle ticks could be seen by the user as X% of the tick
          counter. Since the tick counter is a down counter, the values to be
          set are the remaining percentage of the tick counter (1- X%). The
          user calculates the value to be put into the filter registers from
          the step width value (or angle ticks value per tooth). The toothed
          wheel input behaves like a low pass filter with a cut-off frequency
          that is a function of the toothed wheel speed, and without
          acceleration and decelerations side effect.

          Note: At any time the CPU can modify the filter values to fine tune
          with the application.
          "

          Alex