  • rudypinal
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21 11:50 AM
      I am new to programming microcontrollers and have a question about an
      error I get loading my software. When I download, the workbench debug
      log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. However,
      when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading
      every address that is created in the linked file. It will give
      messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". Does anybody
      know what could be causing this? I have heard that maybe I need to
      invoke a macro to set up my registers for the TMS470 first, but I am
      not sure why I would have to do this if all of my source code invokes
      the proper addresses, according to TIs documentation.

      Thanks,
      Rudy
    • JohnStosh
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22 8:30 PM
        Dear Rudy,

        The TMS470 can locate it's RAM and FLASH memories at various addresses.  Further, the development system supports dozens of processors and fully a dozen ARM processors.
        So you need to clue in not just the linker but the FLASH utility as well.
        In order to burn the FLASH memory, the development system needs to load a flash loader into the RAM of the target system, and then feed it the bytes to program into FLASH.
        It is quite involved -- take a look at the source code that comes with IAR for ARM.
        I've personally found the PDF manuals to be illuminating, but it does take quite some time to sit down and read them; so I tend to read only the pieces I need at the moment.
        As many things, it is most helpful to start with example code and then modify it until it meets your needs.  IAR provides very nice examples.

        Kind Regards,
        -Stosh

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23 7:49 AM
          --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, JohnStosh <johnstosh@...> wrote:

          > Dear Rudy,
          >
          > The TMS470 can locate it's RAM and FLASH memories at various
          addresses. Further, the development system supports dozens of
          processors and fully a dozen ARM processors.
          > So you need to clue in not just the linker but the FLASH utility as
          well.
          > In order to burn the FLASH memory, the development system needs to
          load a flash loader into the RAM of the target system, and then feed
          it the bytes to program into FLASH.
          > It is quite involved -- take a look at the source code that comes
          with IAR for ARM.
          > I've personally found the PDF manuals to be illuminating, but it
          does take quite some time to sit down and read them; so I tend to read
          only the pieces I need at the moment.
          > As many things, it is most helpful to start with example code and
          then modify it until it meets your needs. IAR provides very nice
          examples.

          > Kind Regards,
          > -Stosh

          JTAG

          > I am new to programming microcontrollers and have a question about an
          > error I get loading my software. When I download, the workbench debug
          > log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. However,
          > when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading
          > every address that is created in the linked file. It will give
          > messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". Does anybody
          > know what could be causing this? I have heard that maybe I need to
          > invoke a macro to set up my registers for the TMS470 first, but I am
          > not sure why I would have to do this if all of my source code invokes
          > the proper addresses, according to TIs documentation.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rudy

          Thank You for your help. I did manage to talk to somebody about this
          and they said the exact same thing that you did. I did not know this
          and will keep this in mind for the next time.

          Thanks again,
          Rudy