High end timer

  • hammond_sp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2008
      Hello,

      I've been working with the TMS470R1B1M with IAR for a few months now
      and have been having a good time playing with all the different
      mini-gizmos on the chip. That is, until I came across the HET, which
      seems to be a great big road block in my progress. My end goal would
      be to understand just how it works and after looking through
      documentation and poking at code examples I still can't get the darn
      thing to do what I want it to do. As a last hope I've been looking
      for a good step-by-step idiot's guide to making a small HET program
      similar to the PWM example with IAR. Any ideas as to where I could
      look would be appreciated.

      Specifically, I've been writing the assembly code but have been having
      no luck using the HET470.exe to create the desired output, and I have
      been having trouble with the home brewed HET assmebler (thanks for the
      cool little program, Sandy). One part that was confusing me was the
      request the HET470 made for a .asm file but the example code was in a
      .het file. Any pointers or tips or constructive criticism would be
      appreciated as well.

      -hammond
    • Sandy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2008
        The HET Is the main reason why I looked at the TI part, It was
        similar to the motorola TPU in some ways, which is another
        interesting subsystem, but at least available over the counter.

        The Het470 docs are pretty much non-existant as I recall. One thing
        to do is go to TI and download the HET manuals, I don't have the
        names handy but I think you can download the PDF's on the site
        somewhere. I don't recall about the names or where I found them, but
        they do have them with some internal description of each HET
        instruction. The .asm file that the TI Het470 made may be one of the
        command line options. I think the basic idea of the way it works is
        to create a block of memory that gets loaded to the HET area in the
        processor. It is likley the same block of data that might be
        generated as a C program, just an asm. The only other thing it might
        be is the small program that actually moves the HET code from general
        memory to the het area. My machine is at home with all the stuff I
        was messing with, but I can take a look if you can't figure out what
        it is.

        Then also poke around the site I think you can download some example
        code and library, some use the HET for trivial things. That is what I
        played with when I had some time. I think it may have been for other
        development boards based on the HET enabled part, but can't remember.

        For my home grown HET assembler, it may have be bit better error
        diagnostics but it generates all the files I think you need to make
        it work. If you have any trouble with it let me know I can take a
        look as well, of additions to the docs. At least you should be able
        to see what the code is being generated and how it should work from
        the standpoint of integrating into your application.

        Again poke around the TI site and download anything with HET or
        Samples, Examples, I can't remember where I found some of the stuff
        but I think more HET sample code exists.

        Sandy

        --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "hammond_sp" <hammond_sp@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been working with the TMS470R1B1M with IAR for a few months now
        > and have been having a good time playing with all the different
        > mini-gizmos on the chip. That is, until I came across the HET,
        which
        > seems to be a great big road block in my progress. My end goal
        would
        > be to understand just how it works and after looking through
        > documentation and poking at code examples I still can't get the darn
        > thing to do what I want it to do. As a last hope I've been looking
        > for a good step-by-step idiot's guide to making a small HET program
        > similar to the PWM example with IAR. Any ideas as to where I could
        > look would be appreciated.
        >
        > Specifically, I've been writing the assembly code but have been
        having
        > no luck using the HET470.exe to create the desired output, and I
        have
        > been having trouble with the home brewed HET assmebler (thanks for
        the
        > cool little program, Sandy). One part that was confusing me was the
        > request the HET470 made for a .asm file but the example code was in
        > .het file. Any pointers or tips or constructive criticism would be
        > appreciated as well.
        >
        > -hammond

      • Sandy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2008
          Here is one link with some examples

          http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mcuprodcodeexamples.tsp?
          sectionId=96&tabId=1469

          Also look at the command line options for how IAR's environment is
          calling the TI's Het compiler, I think you can also snoop the binay to
          see all the command line options as I recall if you feel adventurous.

          Sandy
        • hammond_sp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2008
            --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy" <sganz@...> wrote:

            > Here is one link with some examples
            >
            > http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mcuprodcodeexamples.tsp?
            > sectionId=96&tabId=1469
            >
            > Also look at the command line options for how IAR's environment is
            > calling the TI's Het compiler, I think you can also snoop the binay to
            > see all the command line options as I recall if you feel adventurous.
            >
            > Sandy

            Thanks for the help! Alas, it ended up my specific problem was being
            caused by access restrictions on the computer, which disallowed most
            interaction with the C: drive (what a pain to find such a silly
            problem). This means the het470.exe could not even be called, but
            with the help of your software I'm able to get usable results.

            As an aside, it seems that the HET is indeed a very powerful tool on
            this chip, I'll definitely be making use of it in later projects.

            -hammond