Re: Low Noise on group

  • marjan_hanc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
      --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "rickatedge" <rderman@...> wrote:

      > I agree. This is a very nice general purpose ARM chip with an
      > excellent peripheral set. Apparently it has a lot of support on the
      > automotive side, but the "catalog" parts just don't get that level
      of
      > attention.

      Agree. It's sad to learn that company designs very useful and superior
      device, but then focuses only on the high volume customers, leaving
      the small volume customers and developers at the side.

      It's a short term benefit thinking :-(

      But that's because marketing people decide, not tehnicians and all
      what they care about are the numbers that benefit to their salary.
      If the numbers don't fit they leave for another job.
      However, they don't understand that small volume customers,
      independent developers and students are those who can drive with
      their ideas the high-volume sales up ...

      M.
    • Rick Collins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
        --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "marjan_hanc" <marjan.hanc@...> wrote:

        > Agree. It's sad to learn that company designs very useful and superior
        > device, but then focuses only on the high volume customers, leaving
        > the small volume customers and developers at the side.
        >
        > It's a short term benefit thinking :-(
        >
        > But that's because marketing people decide, not tehnicians and all
        > what they care about are the numbers that benefit to their salary.
        > If the numbers don't fit they leave for another job.
        > However, they don't understand that small volume customers,
        > independent developers and students are those who can drive with
        > their ideas the high-volume sales up ...

        It's not "marketing people" vs. technicians. Company management knows
        that they can design chips for the largest markets and make the most
        money by focusing on those large customers. In fact, some years ago
        when cell phones were just starting to take off, TI realized the full
        potential of the cell phone DSP market and decided to orient the
        ***entire*** company towards serving that market. They bought and
        sold divisions just to optimize their position in that market. In
        addition all new development in the entire DSP line was realigned to
        two lines, the chips that go in the cell phones and the chips that go
        into cell base stations. The rest is history...

        It is actually a diversion from their main focus for them to be
        selling to *any* other market. But auto is close to the size of the
        cell market and they already had ARM processors in their IP because of
        cell phones.

        If this group is too quiet for you, how about some posts on *why* the
        TMS470 chips are so good? Most of my applications require a low power
        device and low power was not a design goal of the TMS470 because of
        the target market. So I have not looked as hard at them as other
        brands. However, my understanding is that the auto market is starting
        to ask for lower power devices because there are so many now appearing
        in cars that they are reaching the point where they drain the battery
        when the key is off. So they are asking for low power standby modes.

        I understand that there is a ultra-programmable timer in the TI ARMs
        that is actually a mini-CPU. I can imagine this is very useful for
        some apps.

        I have heard that TI is coming out with Cortex-M3 and A8 flavors of
        CPUs. I will be very interested in learning more about these.
      • marjan_hanc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
          --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Collins" <gnuarm.2006@...>
          > If this group is too quiet for you, how about some posts on *why* the
          > TMS470 chips are so good?

          I don't say that TMS470 chips are not good. Just the opposite. They are
          excellent! The ARM core in the combination with powerful I/O rounded
          up with low power consumption is the best what developer can have.

          Just from the developer's point of view, device is not much of use
          if you need to bang your head for hours in order to figure out how
          it works. Mostly because of poor technical documentation.

          M.
        • wickdastic
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
            I have been working with this part now for just under 2 years. In
            general, I have found the TMS470R1B1M to be a great part. The HET is
            very powerful (but difficult to program). You can do a lot with this
            chip without having to jump through hoops (Microchip). It just works.

            As for support; I had problems with the memory security module and the
            IAR toolset. A real live engineer from TI helped me through it, and
            even sent me some sample parts when he realized I had bricked my
            development board! Way to go TI!

            My biggest issue is the documentation. There is so much of it for this
            part and the way it reads makes it difficult to follow. The example
            code and app notes help out though.