Re: Low Noise on group

  • rickatedge
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
      I agree. This is a very nice general purpose ARM chip with an
      excellent peripheral set. Apparently it has a lot of support on the
      automotive side, but the "catalog" parts just don't get that level of
      attention.
    • marjan_hanc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
        --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "rickatedge" <rderman@...> wrote:

        > I agree. This is a very nice general purpose ARM chip with an
        > excellent peripheral set. Apparently it has a lot of support on the
        > automotive side, but the "catalog" parts just don't get that level
        of
        > attention.

        Agree. It's sad to learn that company designs very useful and superior
        device, but then focuses only on the high volume customers, leaving
        the small volume customers and developers at the side.

        It's a short term benefit thinking :-(

        But that's because marketing people decide, not tehnicians and all
        what they care about are the numbers that benefit to their salary.
        If the numbers don't fit they leave for another job.
        However, they don't understand that small volume customers,
        independent developers and students are those who can drive with
        their ideas the high-volume sales up ...

        M.
      • Rick Collins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
          --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "marjan_hanc" <marjan.hanc@...> wrote:

          > Agree. It's sad to learn that company designs very useful and superior
          > device, but then focuses only on the high volume customers, leaving
          > the small volume customers and developers at the side.
          >
          > It's a short term benefit thinking :-(
          >
          > But that's because marketing people decide, not tehnicians and all
          > what they care about are the numbers that benefit to their salary.
          > If the numbers don't fit they leave for another job.
          > However, they don't understand that small volume customers,
          > independent developers and students are those who can drive with
          > their ideas the high-volume sales up ...

          It's not "marketing people" vs. technicians. Company management knows
          that they can design chips for the largest markets and make the most
          money by focusing on those large customers. In fact, some years ago
          when cell phones were just starting to take off, TI realized the full
          potential of the cell phone DSP market and decided to orient the
          ***entire*** company towards serving that market. They bought and
          sold divisions just to optimize their position in that market. In
          addition all new development in the entire DSP line was realigned to
          two lines, the chips that go in the cell phones and the chips that go
          into cell base stations. The rest is history...

          It is actually a diversion from their main focus for them to be
          selling to *any* other market. But auto is close to the size of the
          cell market and they already had ARM processors in their IP because of
          cell phones.

          If this group is too quiet for you, how about some posts on *why* the
          TMS470 chips are so good? Most of my applications require a low power
          device and low power was not a design goal of the TMS470 because of
          the target market. So I have not looked as hard at them as other
          brands. However, my understanding is that the auto market is starting
          to ask for lower power devices because there are so many now appearing
          in cars that they are reaching the point where they drain the battery
          when the key is off. So they are asking for low power standby modes.

          I understand that there is a ultra-programmable timer in the TI ARMs
          that is actually a mini-CPU. I can imagine this is very useful for
          some apps.

          I have heard that TI is coming out with Cortex-M3 and A8 flavors of
          CPUs. I will be very interested in learning more about these.
        • marjan_hanc
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
            --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Collins" <gnuarm.2006@...>
            > If this group is too quiet for you, how about some posts on *why* the
            > TMS470 chips are so good?

            I don't say that TMS470 chips are not good. Just the opposite. They are
            excellent! The ARM core in the combination with powerful I/O rounded
            up with low power consumption is the best what developer can have.

            Just from the developer's point of view, device is not much of use
            if you need to bang your head for hours in order to figure out how
            it works. Mostly because of poor technical documentation.

            M.
          • wickdastic
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
              I have been working with this part now for just under 2 years. In
              general, I have found the TMS470R1B1M to be a great part. The HET is
              very powerful (but difficult to program). You can do a lot with this
              chip without having to jump through hoops (Microchip). It just works.

              As for support; I had problems with the memory security module and the
              IAR toolset. A real live engineer from TI helped me through it, and
              even sent me some sample parts when he realized I had bricked my
              development board! Way to go TI!

              My biggest issue is the documentation. There is so much of it for this
              part and the way it reads makes it difficult to follow. The example
              code and app notes help out though.