JTAG problems

  • Harinarayanan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
      Hi
      Has anyone designed a PCB with TMS470 microcontroller.
      I have problems using IAR/OCD commander, to detect the device by
      making use of a wiggler.
      Please reply as soon as possible
      Regards
      Harinarayanan S
    • Partha Roy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006

        Hello Hari,

        I am using IAR Kickstart Edition with ARM-JTAG Parallel Port Wiggler from Olimex using H-JTAG Server without any problem.

        I don't know about ARM-USB-OCD Driver. May be if you can give me some more hints, I might try to simulate the same on my bench.

        Thank you.

        Regards

        Partha

        From: "Harinarayanan" <harinarayanan.33@...>
        To: TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [TMS470_ARM] JTAG problems
        Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:14:40 -0000

        Hi
        Has anyone designed a PCB with TMS470 microcontroller.
        I have problems using IAR/OCD commander, to detect the device by
        making use of a wiggler.
        Please reply as soon as possible
        Regards
        Harinarayanan S

        Eat well and eat right. Get tips on nutrition from Naini Setalvad
      • harinarayanan s
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2006
          hi Partha
          thank u for the help.
          H-JTAG does not support Texas instruments TMS470 ICs.
          I designed my own wiggler and TMS470 IC PCBs.
          But connecting it to IAR tool for debugging is still not possible.
          I dont know the reason for the error
          The IAR states the processor is running and that it cannot go into debug mode.
          Can u suggest any possible errors.

          Regards
          Hari.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
            Hari,

            Regarding your problem:
            1. Can you detect the target using H-JTAG? I'm sure that at least the
            latest version of H-JTAG does indeed support the TMS470. When properly
            detected, the TMS470 will show up with the IDCODE 0x3100E02F
            (ARM7TDMI) in the main window of H-JTAG. If your H-JTAG is unable to
            detect the target, ensure that you've properly connected the jtag
            signals, including SRST (pin 2 of parallel port, inverted), and TRST
            (pin 6 of parallel port, not inverted). Generally DIY wiggler
            schematics omit one of the two reset signals. Also ensure that you've
            connected appropriate pull-ups/downs on the TMS470 board as stated in
            the datasheet.

            2. If you can detect the target, but IAR complains that it is unable
            to enter debug state, then chances are you've not done justice to the
            PORRST pin of the TMS470. A 10K pull-up from PORRST to 3.3V would do.

            3. If you can detect the target, and IAR can load the flashloader, but
            afterwards complains about a memory read/write error (unable to
            re-enter debug mode), or gives target inconsistency errors, you've not
            configured the memory map of the TMS470 correctly. If you're trying
            the example programs, ensure you've correctly setup the RAM / Flash
            settings. For RAM debugging (select from the dropdown list in the
            workspace window in IAR), do not use any flashloader, but use the
            appropriate setup macro file (project properties->debugger settings).
            If you've chosen FLASH debugging, use the default flashloader, but
            don't use any setup macro.

            -Joydeep.

            --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "harinarayanan s"
            <harinarayanan.33@...> wrote:

            > hi Partha
            > thank u for the help.
            > H-JTAG does not support Texas instruments TMS470 ICs.
            > I designed my own wiggler and TMS470 IC PCBs.
            > But connecting it to IAR tool for debugging is still not possible.
            > I dont know the reason for the error
            > The IAR states the processor is running and that it cannot go into debug
            > mode.
            > Can u suggest any possible errors.
            >
            > Regards
            > Hari.
            >
            > On 12/9/06, Partha Roy <baexps_pr1@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Hari,
            > >
            > > I am using IAR Kickstart Edition with ARM-JTAG Parallel Port
            Wiggler from
            > > Olimex using H-JTAG Server without any problem.
            > >
            > > I don't know about ARM-USB-OCD Driver. May be if you can give me
            some more
            > > hints, I might try to simulate the same on my bench.
            > >
            > > Thank you.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > >
            > > Partha
            > >

            > > ------------------------------
            > > From: *"Harinarayanan" <harinarayanan.33@...>*
            > > To: *TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com*
            > > Subject: *[TMS470_ARM] JTAG problems*
            > > Date: *Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:14:40 -0000*
            > >
            > > Hi
            > > Has anyone designed a PCB with TMS470 microcontroller.
            > > I have problems using IAR/OCD commander, to detect the device by
            > > making use of a wiggler.
            > > Please reply as soon as possible
            > > Regards
            > > Harinarayanan S
            > >

            > > ------------------------------
            > > Eat well and eat right. Get tips on nutrition from Naini
            Setalvad<http://g.msn.com/8HMBENIN/2731??PS=47575>

          • harinarayanan s
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2007
              Hello Joydeep,
              Thank you for your help, but i mailed the groups 8 to 9 months ago.
              I was able to sort out all the problems long ago and use the TMS470 microcontroller.
              And i also changed my microcontroller.
              And i'm using HJTAG only and am programming it through IAR with ease.

              Regards
              Harinarayanan S