Quadrature encoder interface with HET?

  • hancicimen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31 1:29 PM
      I asked this question some time ago, but got no reply. I am
      interested in TMS470, but I need quadrature encoder interface. I am
      not familiar with HET, so if any body experienced reply my question, I
      would be very gratefull.

      Regards,

      HAN
    • donkicad
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
        I would suggest that you look under the Application notes on the TI
        website and look at the "Using the HET as a UART" pdf. It is very
        instructional. Also read chapter 4 (at the very least) in the HET
        reference available in the same area of the TMS470 site. It will take
        you a day or two of reading. Print out the flowcharts and the HET
        assembly code for the UART and go line for line and try to understand
        what is going on.

        A couple of things:
        * note that each HET ram "word" is 96 bytes and has several fields,
        probably the two most confusing are the "remote" (which is basically
        associated with the data that the next line that the HET will go to)
        and that there is a data area in each "word" that can be used much
        like a variable.

        * Make sure you understand what a loop resolution time is, as well as
        how the two divide-by counters work to time this aspect of the HET
        processor

        * be patient, I am still learning the HET and it is a new way of
        thinking (at least to me) about a dedicated processor architecture,
        but it is very capable for the types of jobs it was designed to do,
        and I bet the transmit portion of the UART note will be particularly
        interesting to you.

        good luck!

        --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "hancicimen" <han@...> wrote:

        > I asked this question some time ago, but got no reply. I am
        > interested in TMS470, but I need quadrature encoder interface. I am
        > not familiar with HET, so if any body experienced reply my question, I
        > would be very gratefull.
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > HAN

      • hancicimen
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2006
          Hi,

          Thanks for the answer. I think I should use external logic to decode
          quadrature encoder and use the HET for counting.

          Regards,

          HAN
        • tms470man
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2006
            I have a quadrature encoder for the HET. I will put it in the files
            section. In the next day or two. 470man