177Re: Use J-link to download gcc compiled code?

  • john
    Feb 18, 2008
      Swapping the ELF file might work for debugging (I haven't tried it
      yet).
      It looks like to actually program the flash you need IAR's debug
      output file [ .dxx ] and IAR's simple binary format [ .sim ] which
      allows you to use their flash loader to program the flash. The flash
      loader is a RAM resident program that downloads the code but to use
      IAR's I would need to convert the output from GCC to the two formats
      used by IAR.
      I haven't found any simple solutions yet. I think using the jlink-GDB
      server to download
      A flash loader to RAM would work but then I would either need to know
      the USB/JLINK interface or have the flash loader download from the
      UART. I haven't looked in to it yet but OpenOCD looks like it has
      potential since there is supposed to be a patch so the JLINK works
      with it.

      --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "johnstosh" <johnstosh@...> wrote:

      > You might be able to, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm VERY
      > interested in hearing what you find out. Have you considered
      getting
      > IAR to generate a binary file format and then "swapping in" you gcc
      > created data in place of the original?
      >
      > I think IAR will do ELF format. Does gcc? Even if it does, is it
      the
      > SAME elf format and a close enough varient to actually work?
      >
      > Although IAR will generate a 2nd output file from the linker, will
      it
      > only burn its primary output file?
      >
      > --- In TMS470_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "john" <j_w_myers@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I have the TMS470 KickStart kit.
      > > I want to start programming with gcc.
      > > Is it possible to use the J-link to download a program compiled
      with
      > > gcc to the TMS470?

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic