Elkhart G.A.M.E

  • Mykal Lakim
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hey all. Just letting everyone know there is a roleplaying game (LARP)
      in elkhart that isn't run by Rev n'company! It's actually run by
      Dragon's Eye Entertainment and Dark Phoenix Game Studio. The game
      system is simular to White Wolf's World of Darkness series but more
      advanced in ways that compete with Wizard's Dungeon & Dragons. The
      game allows character freedom and integrity without comprimising fun
      and enjoyability.
      The rules of the game are simple. No drugs (or being on them), no
      fighting (within 150 feet of the property), and no cheating. All
      characters begin human (or humanish) and begin at base (level 1). How
      your character progresses is entirely up to you (the player). You
      decide every factor in their lives.
      The game's Theme is Dark Mystery and it serves it very well.
      With over 300 Character Merits & Flaws, and 25+ playable creature
      types, no wonder this game is among the fastest growing in the market
      today! For more information e-mail dragons_eye_entertainment@...
      (please allow time for responses).
    • Jedediah Walls
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
        Hi Mykal,

        Can you explain what you mean by "fastest growing in
        the market"?

        I'm just curious...

        Jed

        --- Mykal Lakim <mykal_lakim@...> wrote:

        > Hey all. Just letting everyone know there is a
        > roleplaying game (LARP)
        > in elkhart that isn't run by Rev n'company! It's
        > actually run by
        > Dragon's Eye Entertainment and Dark Phoenix Game
        > Studio. The game
        > system is simular to White Wolf's World of Darkness
        > series but more
        > advanced in ways that compete with Wizard's Dungeon
        > & Dragons. The
        > game allows character freedom and integrity without
        > comprimising fun
        > and enjoyability.
        > The rules of the game are simple. No drugs (or
        > being on them), no
        > fighting (within 150 feet of the property), and no
        > cheating. All
        > characters begin human (or humanish) and begin at
        > base (level 1). How
        > your character progresses is entirely up to you (the
        > player). You
        > decide every factor in their lives.
        > The game's Theme is Dark Mystery and it serves
        > it very well.
        > With over 300 Character Merits & Flaws, and 25+
        > playable creature
        > types, no wonder this game is among the fastest
        > growing in the market
        > today! For more information e-mail
        > dragons_eye_entertainment@...
        > (please allow time for responses).

      • Erkki KochKetola
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
          Jedediah Walls wrote:

          > Hi Mykal,
          >
          > Can you explain what you mean by "fastest growing in
          > the market"?
          >
          > I'm just curious...

          Sounds like marketing hype to me.
        • Jedediah Walls
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
            I'm not trying to attack the man, I'm a marketing
            major, and game designer. If someone has an idea of
            the local area market, I'm curious to know their
            approach.

            --- Erkki KochKetola <vilkata@...> wrote:

            > Jedediah Walls wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Mykal,
            > >
            > > Can you explain what you mean by "fastest growing
            > in
            > > the market"?
            > >
            > > I'm just curious...
            >
            > Sounds like marketing hype to me.
            > --

          • mykal lakim
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
              Jed long time no see.... well i have a book publisher which has given me a ver generous offer for my LARP series. According to the contract information i recieved earlier in the year i should stand to make about $15 million just off of the first series. After the first edition books, we plan to market about 10 running series'. If you'd like to help i'd be more than greatful. I need the stuff playtested ASAP to find holes in the system, ect. The group i did have has since proven untrustworthy (in a word REV) and i was forced to move into South Bend (near Notre Dame campus). My publisher and i have been speaking and i would like to get these "kinks" out of the system asap before sending it out. The corebook alone is roughly 300 pages in a 6"x9" format.
              Oh and the bit about the market is basically marketing hype but the roleplaying industry is growing fast and is developing quiet well compared to recent years. I've done a lot of homework. If you can give any advice or help please let me know. Thanks for letting me speak at you.

            • Jedediah Walls
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
                Hey man,

                When I hear the words $15 million and RPG's in the
                same sentence, I'm already a bit cautious. I don't
                even think our industry is that big! (Comics are only
                a 18 mil industry and dropping). Who is this
                publisher, and do they have a website? What about a
                business plan? Do you have a business plan?

                Sorry, I do business consulting on a regular basis,
                so these are the first things that pop in my head.
                Yeah man, let me see your playtest stuff and let's go
                from there.

                jed

                --- mykal lakim <mykal_lakim@...> wrote:

                > Jed long time no see.... well i have a book
                > publisher which has given me a ver generous offer
                > for my LARP series. According to the contract
                > information i recieved earlier in the year i should
                > stand to make about $15 million just off of the
                > first series. After the first edition books, we plan
                > to market about 10 running series'. If you'd like to
                > help i'd be more than greatful. I need the stuff
                > playtested ASAP to find holes in the system, ect.
                > The group i did have has since proven untrustworthy
                > (in a word REV) and i was forced to move into South
                > Bend (near Notre Dame campus). My publisher and i
                > have been speaking and i would like to get these
                > "kinks" out of the system asap before sending it
                > out. The corebook alone is roughly 300 pages in a
                > 6"x9" format.
                > Oh and the bit about the market is
                > basically marketing hype but the roleplaying
                > industry is growing fast and is developing quiet
                > well compared to recent years. I've done a lot of
                > homework. If you can give any advice or help please
                > let me know. Thanks for letting me speak at you.

                > removed]

              • Derek Stoelting
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
                  That information sounds fishy to me. I'm not saying you can't make that
                  money, but I'd look further into it. I could see the $15m being in total
                  sales, but not in the money you'll be making. Most companies pay per word,
                  not with royalties, and pay anywhere from 2-8 cents per word.

                  I'm not saying your situation is a definite "no way that's going to happen."
                  However, I work in the industry and your information sounds very odd. I'd be
                  more than happy to trade thoughts and ideas on whether or not you're getting
                  the runaround from someone offlist as to not clutter this place up.

                  Just thoughts.

                  Derek Stoelting
                  Eden Studios, Inc.
                  www.edenstudios.net