Re: igate setup?

  • kd5qyv
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Theron Becker" <tjbecker@...> wrote:

      > Apparently there is not an igate for APRS in my area but as soon as I
      > travel to another community, my position will pop up on findu. How can
      > I set up my own igate with a D700 setup at my office for the local
      > folks? I've done a quick search and haven't found much info, could
      > someone point me in the correct direction, please?
      >
      > Theron Becker
      > KA5YTH

      I am currently using an old e-machines, a ICOM 2AT Handi-Talkie and a
      Kantronics KPC3. The e-machine powers both the 2AT and the KPC3. It
      is currently running RIMiGate which is basically aprsd and a linux
      kernel on a floppy.
      (http://www.rimboy.com/rimdistro/rimigate/rimigate002/README) That's
      right folks, a simple config file and a floppy drive is all you need.
      It's a bit old as far as I-Gate software is concerned. What we
      really need is some linux guru out there to come up with a thumbdrive
      version of javaprsd.

      In any case it works for me and has a good record of uptime. (1300
      hours at the moment which is 54 days.) It also gates NWS and NHC
      traffic as well as some local wx that I have generated on another
      linux box.

      have fun.

      kw
      KD5QYV
    • KB1LCS
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
        I just wanted to add a note to Jason's reply...using UI-VIEW32 will
        allow you to be an effective digipeater as well as a potential
        IGate. There are several software programs that have an independant
        digipeater but I use UI-VIEW32 because of the intricate maps using
        Precision Mapping. UI-VIEW32 has an independant digipeater function
        which is nice because now you have a portable digipeater and
        potential IGate. I say potential because you would need Internet
        access. If commercial power goes out, at least with a "digi", you
        can switch to emergency power and still have a digipeater on the air.

        I know you stated that you would like to be an IGate, but without
        internet access during a disaster situation, your IGate would be an
        in-service to fellow hams. But by adding a portable digipeater that
        you can take to any disaster scene or exercise drill would be
        invaluable.

        I use UI-VIEW32, a KPC3+, and a Yaesu VX-7R for my portable low power
        digipeater. I bring it with me to all demonstrations and
        presentations that I do locally here in Northeastern Ohio. For "real
        situation" scenerio, I use the FT-8100 on low power to conserve
        energy. Besides, most of the time I use a 3KW generator.

        I thought the same thing, though. I live in a community with no
        digipeater or IGate. My mobile D700 could not make it the 40 miles
        needed to the IGate even on high power. I thought well, maybe I'll
        develop an IGate. Then I thought that if the power goes out? I
        would not be an asset but an inservice.

        I have developed a Digipeater Proposal for my local amateur radio
        club. I have hams who are donating equipment for the County
        Digipeater. Perhaps you may find someone to do the same.

        I hope this helps.

        73 de Matt KB1LCS@...
        Radio Officer
        Lake County Amateur Radio Association
        www.lcara.org

        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Theron Becker" <tjbecker@...> wrote:

        > Apparently there is not an igate for APRS in my area but as soon as
        > travel to another community, my position will pop up on findu. How
        can
        > I set up my own igate with a D700 setup at my office for the local
        > folks? I've done a quick search and haven't found much info, could
        > someone point me in the correct direction, please?
        >
        > Theron Becker
        > KA5YTH

      • ROBERT HILL
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
          What's an 'in-service'?

          KB1LCS <KB1LCS@...> wrote: I just wanted to add a note to Jason's reply...using UI-VIEW32 will
          allow you to be an effective digipeater as well as a potential
          IGate. There are several software programs that have an independant
          digipeater but I use UI-VIEW32 because of the intricate maps using
          Precision Mapping. UI-VIEW32 has an independant digipeater function
          which is nice because now you have a portable digipeater and
          potential IGate. I say potential because you would need Internet
          access. If commercial power goes out, at least with a "digi", you
          can switch to emergency power and still have a digipeater on the air.

          I know you stated that you would like to be an IGate, but without
          internet access during a disaster situation, your IGate would be an
          in-service to fellow hams. But by adding a portable digipeater that
          you can take to any disaster scene or exercise drill would be
          invaluable.

          I use UI-VIEW32, a KPC3+, and a Yaesu VX-7R for my portable low power
          digipeater. I bring it with me to all demonstrations and
          presentations that I do locally here in Northeastern Ohio. For "real
          situation" scenerio, I use the FT-8100 on low power to conserve
          energy. Besides, most of the time I use a 3KW generator.

          I thought the same thing, though. I live in a community with no
          digipeater or IGate. My mobile D700 could not make it the 40 miles
          needed to the IGate even on high power. I thought well, maybe I'll
          develop an IGate. Then I thought that if the power goes out? I
          would not be an asset but an inservice.

          I have developed a Digipeater Proposal for my local amateur radio
          club. I have hams who are donating equipment for the County
          Digipeater. Perhaps you may find someone to do the same.

          I hope this helps.

          73 de Matt KB1LCS@...
          Radio Officer
          Lake County Amateur Radio Association
          www.lcara.org

          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Theron Becker" <tjbecker@...> wrote:

          > Apparently there is not an igate for APRS in my area but as soon as
          > travel to another community, my position will pop up on findu. How
          can
          > I set up my own igate with a D700 setup at my office for the local
          > folks? I've done a quick search and haven't found much info, could
          > someone point me in the correct direction, please?
          >
          > Theron Becker
          > KA5YTH

        • KB1LCS
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
            I have no idea how the hyphen got in there. An "inservice" is
            another meaning for little or no value. Not to be confused with
            training or meeting.

            In the text I was trying to explain that if the IGate already
            exists. Why re-invent the wheel? The digipeater would be of much
            better solution because it would assist local hams in getting their
            beacon to the IGate. Especially low power stations like trackers and
            the Kenwood TH-D7A.

            73 de Matt KB1LCS@...

            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, ROBERT HILL <avcbob@...> wrote:

            > What's an 'in-service'?
            >
            > KB1LCS <KB1LCS@...> wrote: I just wanted to add a note to
            Jason's reply...using UI-VIEW32 will
            > allow you to be an effective digipeater as well as a potential
            > IGate. There are several software programs that have an independant
            > digipeater but I use UI-VIEW32 because of the intricate maps using
            > Precision Mapping. UI-VIEW32 has an independant digipeater function
            > which is nice because now you have a portable digipeater and
            > potential IGate. I say potential because you would need Internet
            > access. If commercial power goes out, at least with a "digi", you
            > can switch to emergency power and still have a digipeater on the
            air.

            > I know you stated that you would like to be an IGate, but without
            > internet access during a disaster situation, your IGate would be an
            > in-service to fellow hams. But by adding a portable digipeater that
            > you can take to any disaster scene or exercise drill would be
            > invaluable.
            >
            > I use UI-VIEW32, a KPC3+, and a Yaesu VX-7R for my portable low
            power
            > digipeater. I bring it with me to all demonstrations and
            > presentations that I do locally here in Northeastern Ohio.
            For "real
            > situation" scenerio, I use the FT-8100 on low power to conserve
            > energy. Besides, most of the time I use a 3KW generator.
            >
            > I thought the same thing, though. I live in a community with no
            > digipeater or IGate. My mobile D700 could not make it the 40 miles
            > needed to the IGate even on high power. I thought well, maybe I'll
            > develop an IGate. Then I thought that if the power goes out? I
            > would not be an asset but an inservice.
            >
            > I have developed a Digipeater Proposal for my local amateur radio
            > club. I have hams who are donating equipment for the County
            > Digipeater. Perhaps you may find someone to do the same.
            >
            > I hope this helps.
            >
            > 73 de Matt KB1LCS@...
            > Radio Officer
            > Lake County Amateur Radio Association
            > www.lcara.org
            >
            > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Theron Becker" <tjbecker@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Apparently there is not an igate for APRS in my area but as soon
            as
            > > travel to another community, my position will pop up on findu.
            How
            > can
            > > I set up my own igate with a D700 setup at my office for the
            local
            > > folks? I've done a quick search and haven't found much info,
            could
            > > someone point me in the correct direction, please?
            > >
            > > Theron Becker
            > > KA5YTH

          • Jim Templeton
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
              --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "KB1LCS" <KB1LCS@...> wrote:

              > I have no idea how the hyphen got in there. An "inservice" is
              > another meaning for little or no value. Not to be confused with
              > training or meeting.
              >
              > In the text I was trying to explain that if the IGate already
              > exists. Why re-invent the wheel? The digipeater would be of much
              > better solution because it would assist local hams in getting their
              > beacon to the IGate. Especially low power stations like trackers and
              > the Kenwood TH-D7A.
              >
              > 73 de Matt KB1LCS@...

              I don't see how adding an i-gate to cover a new area is akin to
              re-inventing the wheel. It sounds like a combo i-gate/digi would
              benefit his local APRS network.
              Jim N0PTN
            • Theron Becker
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                Thank you all for your responses. I was successful in setting up an I-
                Gate and Digipeater through UI-View32. I had not used UI-View before
                and am still learning how to use it, but with some trial-and-error and
                reading the well-done help files, I'm sure I'll get it.
              • Terry Palmer
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
                  Does anyone else have the Xmit/Rcv Relay sticking when you go from Xmit to Rcv; I have to momentarily click the PTT button to make the D700 go to Rcv.

                  I assume this is a Physical relay and not some sort of software switch.

                  Anyone else with this problem and a permanent solution?

                  Terry K1LCH

                • Eric J Foster
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
                    I'd suspect the ptt switch in the mic. Mine does this, it is an early
                    version mounted in a tractor trailer with about 500,000 miles on it. Odd
                    thing is that it comes and goes, doing it for an hour or so and then I
                    never see it again for months.

                    There are no relays in this solid state rig.

                    Terry Palmer wrote:

                    > Does anyone else have the Xmit/Rcv Relay sticking when you go from
                    > Xmit to Rcv; I have to momentarily click the PTT button to make the
                    > D700 go to Rcv.
                    >
                    > I assume this is a Physical relay and not some sort of software switch.
                    >
                    > Anyone else with this problem and a permanent solution?
                    >
                    > Terry K1LCH

                    Guns kill people like silverware made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

                    http://map.findu.com/ke1lb-14 Good Stuff, Trucks Bring It!!
                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
                      Mine did that back in the Winter at random, but I haven't noticed it
                      in a while. I thought mine was pertaining to the lightning tingle it
                      got back in 2005. The DB-9 connector hasn't worked since then. As of
                      lately, the D700a appears to be leaking RF pretty bad. When the APRS
                      beacons, it kills my GPS unit, even on low power. When the radio
                      transmits it squeals through the external (Kenwood) speaker too. Oh
                      well, had the rig since 2000, it's been good. Tnx.

                      Jeff/KU4WW

                      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Palmer" <terrypalmer2@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Does anyone else have the Xmit/Rcv Relay sticking when you go from
                      Xmit to Rcv; I have to momentarily click the PTT button to make the
                      D700 go to Rcv.

                      > I assume this is a Physical relay and not some sort of software
                      switch.

                      > Anyone else with this problem and a permanent solution?
                      >
                      > Terry K1LCH

                    • Terry Palmer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
                        Thanks, Eric.

                        Mine comes and goes, also; for a while I thought it was temperature related.

                        Terry

                      • Ron Pariseau
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                          Hi Terry,

                          Chances are very good that you have a bad mic, I had the same issue and it got to the point it would not return at all to receive, at 6 months old Kenwood replaced the mic free of charge.

                          It is the main board (there are 3 boards inside, 1 DTMF, 1 UP/DOWN, 1 POWER/TR/DEVIATION etc.) I tried buying the broad but they don't sell parts for it. So if you want, to buy a new mike is about $80.00 plus shipping, and if you squeak enough, they will send you one for zip. Be nice though, The guy I talked with was very good to deal with.

                          Ron K1VSC

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                            >>> I tried buying the >>broad<< but they don't sell parts for it.

                            Now that will get you into trouble every time!!! (LOL)

                            Mike (N5CEC)