Re: [TMD700A] GPS info

  • Craig Gagner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
      I was using an inexpensive Garmin 12 but changed to a Tripmate after I
      figured out how to mod it. Either one works nicely and you can get the
      tripmate for about $50 refurbed from delorme.

      Craig
      W1MED

      > I am wanting to buy a GPS of some kind but I know diddly about them. I
      > have access to Garmin, eTREX, and Magellan. I don't want to spend any
      > more money than I have to.
      > Suggestions?
      >
      > Gary
      > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      >
      > Community email addresses:
      > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
      > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
      >
      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

    • Tim Shephard
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
        Garmin Emap. The only way to go. Try www.tvnav.com they have great
        service and prices.

        Just a happy customer ..yadda yadda yadda....

        -Tim

        > I am wanting to buy a GPS of some kind but I know diddly about them. I
        > have access to Garmin, eTREX, and Magellan. I don't want to spend any
        > more money than I have to.
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > Gary
        > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        >
        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

      • Tom Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
          Go with ANY Garmin product that fits your wallet. Garmin is by far the best
          there is.!!
          Oh, disclaimer huh, well, ok, ...the above statement is strictly my opinion
          and does not necessarily represent the opinion of management who happens to
          own this computer. hahaha

          > I am wanting to buy a GPS of some kind but I know diddly about them. I
          > have access to Garmin, eTREX, and Magellan. I don't want to spend any
          > more money than I have to.
          > Suggestions?
          >
          > Gary
          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          >
          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
          > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

        • Eric J Foster
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
            I'll back you up. Garmin IS the only gps for personal use. Buy another
            brand, and then wish you had the Garmin after.......

            Tom Johnson wrote:

            > Go with ANY Garmin product that fits your wallet. Garmin is by far the
            > best
            > there is.!!
            > Oh, disclaimer huh, well, ok, ...the above statement is strictly my
            > opinion
            > and does not necessarily represent the opinion of management who
            > happens to
            > own this computer. hahaha

            [Check out great fares at Orbitz!]

            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
            > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
            >
            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

            Ban Tree-Huggers, too much bullshit is bad for our rivers and lakes!
          • ik7565@erols.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
              The Garmin III+ is FB with a TM-D700!

              tailfeathers@... wrote:

              > I am wanting to buy a GPS of some kind but I know diddly about them. I
              > have access to Garmin, eTREX, and Magellan. I don't want to spend any
              > more money than I have to.
              > Suggestions?
              >
              > Gary
              > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              >
              > Community email addresses:
              > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
              > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
              >
              > Shortcut URL to this page:
              > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

            • philip yanov
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                As you can tell from the replies to the group, there is a good bit of
                personal preference involved in picking your GPS. The key feature
                for me is whether the GPS accepts NMEA in. The D700A is capable of
                sending NMEA waypoints to a connected GPS. This means that as
                stations are heard by the radio, their positions can be plotted on
                the map within the GPS. This is handy because using just the radio
                and a GPS you can actually navigate to another station, and you can
                scroll around the GPS map to see the relative locations of other
                stations.

                If this feature is important to you, the Garmin models III+, eMap,
                and GPS 162 all support NMEA in. My eTrex does not and I don't
                believe any of the eTrex models do.

                If you do not care about having the maps and waypoint display then
                probably any GPS will do. You probably want to limit yourself to
                models which have adapters to run from your car battery. Constantly
                replacing dry cells would eventually be an expensive aggravation.

                -philip, K4PJY

                --- In TMD700A@y..., tailfeathers@j... wrote:
                > I am wanting to buy a GPS of some kind....
                > Suggestions?
              • AE5PL Lists
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                  I use the eTrex with great success. My dad just got the eTrex Legend.
                  With setting the D700A to send waypoints (9 digit NMEA), you have a
                  compact, rugged, mapping GPS. Go with what your wallet can handle :-)

                  73,

                  Pete Loveall AE5PL
                  http://www.ae5pl.net
                  mailto:pete@...

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                    Like we said...... Garmin GPS III+! And for plugs, go to
                    http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/g45_idx.htm

                    philip yanov wrote:

                    > As you can tell from the replies to the group, there is a good bit of
                    > personal preference involved in picking your GPS. The key feature
                    > for me is whether the GPS accepts NMEA in. The D700A is capable of
                    > sending NMEA waypoints to a connected GPS. This means that as
                    > stations are heard by the radio, their positions can be plotted on
                    > the map within the GPS. This is handy because using just the radio
                    > and a GPS you can actually navigate to another station, and you can
                    > scroll around the GPS map to see the relative locations of other
                    > stations.
                    >
                    > If this feature is important to you, the Garmin models III+, eMap,
                    > and GPS 162 all support NMEA in. My eTrex does not and I don't
                    > believe any of the eTrex models do.
                    >
                    > If you do not care about having the maps and waypoint display then
                    > probably any GPS will do. You probably want to limit yourself to
                    > models which have adapters to run from your car battery. Constantly
                    > replacing dry cells would eventually be an expensive aggravation.
                    >
                    > -philip, K4PJY
                    >
                    > --- In TMD700A@y..., tailfeathers@j... wrote:
                    > > I am wanting to buy a GPS of some kind....
                    > > Suggestions?
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    [Check out great fares at Orbitz!]

                    > Community email addresses:
                    > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
                    > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
                    >
                    > Shortcut URL to this page:
                    > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

                    Ban Tree-Huggers, too much bullshit is bad for our rivers and lakes!
                  • Stan Slonkosky
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                      > personal preference involved in picking your GPS. The key feature
                      > for me is whether the GPS accepts NMEA in. The D700A is capable of
                      > sending NMEA waypoints to a connected GPS. This means that as
                      > If this feature is important to you, the Garmin models III+, eMap,
                      > and GPS 162 all support NMEA in. My eTrex does not and I don't
                      > believe any of the eTrex models do.

                      I can't speak for the other eTrex models, but I have a Vista and I can
                      confirm that it does receive and display waypoints sent to it from the D700.

                      Stan Slonkosky
                    • Alan Morris, G4ENS
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                        > Go with ANY Garmin product that fits your wallet. Garmin is by far
                        the best
                        > there is.!!
                        > Oh, disclaimer huh, well, ok, ...the above statement is strictly my
                        opinion
                        > and does not necessarily represent the opinion of management who
                        happens to
                        > own this computer. hahaha

                        I'd support Tom Johnson's comments about Garmin and I own my computer.
                        My Garmin 75 has seved me very well over the years. What's a 75? a
                        very old one!
                        --
                        Alan Morris, G4ENS.
                        Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. UK.

                        No HTML used above as I connect at 9.6 Kb. with Nokia 6210e.
                      • tailfeathers@juno.com