New D700 Owner, with APRS/GPS question

  • absenth76
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
      I recently purchased a D700 from R&L Electronics. I also purchased a
      Garmin etrex Legend GPS. I've wired the 2.5mm plug to a male serial
      cable, and confirmed that I have a solid electrical connection between
      the GPS connector and the 2.5mm jack. However when I connect the gps
      to the radio I don't ever get a flashing GPS display on the radio.

      The radio is configured for NMEA, as is the GPS. I've confirmed that
      the GPS does send signals out by connecting it to my computer. Is
      there a maximum resistance that can be between the GPS and the Radio
      before the signal is lost? I'm only showing 1ohm of resistance
      through the whole length of the cable.

      Any help is welcome.

      Lars W9ZEB
    • Herb Gerhardt
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
        You stated that the GPS puts out data because it sends it to the computer.
        To what program on the computer?

        If you are running the Garmin MapSource program the GPS will only work if it
        is set to GARMIN data out/in. The default of all Garmin GPS units is to put
        out GARMIN strings. These will not work! Both the GPS and the D700 must be
        set to NMEA.

        I know you said that both the radio and GPS are configured to NMEA, but go
        check the GPS again. I have seen my Garmin III+ and V default back to
        GARMIN from NMEA on a number of occasions. I think it is just do to RF but
        don't know, but adding a ferrite bead to the cable reduced the number of
        time this problem occurs. Not too concerned about it.

        If that is not the problem, then I would check the data cable you made
        again. A common error is that the Tip and Ring are swapped. The write up
        Garmin gives are correct, however, it is confusing the way it is described
        and lots of people make a mistake connecting these two wires. I would
        suggest swapping the Tip and Ring wires and see it that solves your problem.
        It will not hurt the radio or GPS to have those wires swapped, it will just
        not work one way and will work the other way.

        Good luck,

        Herb, KB7UVC
        NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
        Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

      • Bob Burns K4RXR
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
          At 05:29 PM 9/4/2006, absenth76 wrote:
          >I've wired the 2.5mm plug to a male serial cable, and confirmed that
          >I have a solid electrical connection between
          >the GPS connector and the 2.5mm jack. However when I connect the
          >gps to the radio I don't ever get a flashing GPS display on the radio.

          If you have solid electrical connection between the two ends of the
          cable, then it's possible that you've mis-wired the cable. Confirm
          that DATA OUT from the GPS is connected the ring of the 2.5mm phone
          connector and GROUND is connected to the sleeve of the connector.
          Check page 10 of the D700 Specialized Communications manual and check
          your GPS manual to make sure you have the correct connections at the GPS.

          Your GPS should be set to output NMEA data at either 4800 or 9600
          baud. The D700 should be set for NMEA (4800 baud) or NMEA96 depending
          on how the GPS is set using menu 3-2. The radio has to be in TNC APRS
          or TNC PACKET mode for it to read the GPS.

          Bob...
        • lothar.harris@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
            Hi - I also have a D700 and the problem I have is that my GPS unit derives its power from the USB port while the D700 wants signal only - it will provide no power. My plan is to provide a separate 4.8-5.2 VDC supply to my GPS and just run the data lines to the D700. Let me know if this helps - I'm very curious about the D700 and GPS (since it seems to be about worthless for every other TNC related function).
            KE5JXS

          • KE5IRL
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
              Make sure you have your radio set to Beacon

              _____

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                  Hi there!

                  I've a similar setup in my shack and works fine. Assuming all settings on the tranceiver are ok, and you transfer GPS data to your PC, I'm wondering if maybe the data transmit/receive wires are backwards. I had a similar problem and thought resistance may have been a problem but not so. I'd try 2 things..... Since you got pc data from the GPS, when connecting to your dm700, use a 9 pin null modem to swap the data transmit/receive wires. You can get that from Radio Shack. If things don't fly look at your settings again.... the GPS has 2 setting (at least my eTrex mariner does) for data. If the GPS set for 4800 baud, assure the d700's setting is NEMA. 9600 baud settings on the GPS require NEMA96. You probably have that ok since you get data to your pc. Assure beacon is set as well as other APRS settings. I remember if you didn't have the full complement set in the firmware, you wouldn't transmit data at all.

                  Also be aware.... if you use the SAME D700 cable successfully to program your D700 with your PC, you MUST use a null modem using that same cable to the GPS especially when using the Garmin Cable. I suspect that is the problem. Think of your PC as device A, it talks to Device B be it a GPS (using the Garmin data cable) or the D700 (using the PG-4W cable). Using the same cables to have device B talk to another device B, the NULL MODEM is required and "flips" the wiring to change a device to a "A".

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                    At 09:07 PM 9/9/2006, Ken Zielinski wrote:
                    >Assuming all settings on the tranceiver are ok, and you transfer GPS
                    >data to your PC, I'm wondering if maybe the data transmit/receive
                    >wires are backwards.

                    For what it's worth, I met up with Lars today and we tried a couple
                    of things. My GPS and cable that I use to connect to my D700 were
                    connected to his D700--no joy. His GPS and cable connected to my
                    D700--works fine. We checked the GPS settings on his D700 and they
                    match mine. We conclude that the problem is his D700.

                    Bob...
                  • K8DNE
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 10, 2006
                      Bob Burns K4RXR wrote:

                      > At 09:07 PM 9/9/2006, Ken Zielinski wrote:
                      > >Assuming all settings on the tranceiver are ok, and you transfer GPS
                      > >data to your PC, I'm wondering if maybe the data transmit/receive
                      > >wires are backwards.
                      >
                      > For what it's worth, I met up with Lars today and we tried a couple
                      > of things. My GPS and cable that I use to connect to my D700 were
                      > connected to his D700--no joy. His GPS and cable connected to my
                      > D700--works fine. We checked the GPS settings on his D700 and they
                      > match mine. We conclude that the problem is his D700.

                      Ah ha, he said. Would seem (from this symptom) that the constant 9.6
                      voltage line has gone bye-bye. The fix uses four SMT parts and requires
                      a trip to Kenwood (about a week turnaround from Kenwood East). It is
                      about $9.00 (for $2.00 worth of parts) plus the Kenwood (1 hour) bench
                      charge. They will also upgrade the radio to today's specifications.

                      Now, again I reiterate, be sure to turn the power "OFF" to plug/unplug
                      any/all cables from this radio and it's associated contriol head and
                      serial port. I know that there are "nah sayers" out there to what I
                      post here. However, I have been working on these radios since they came
                      on the market.

                      my $0.125 worth.

                      Be safe y'all.

                      whr
                      --
                      W H Reynolds, K8DNE
                      Rowlett, TX RACES Radio Officer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 10, 2006
                        What 9.6 Volts are you talking about? Does the D700 provide voltage to the GPS and if so, on which line? I was under the impression that the D700 accepted only data in and data out lines - no voltage. Is this wrong??

                        Thanks,
                        KE5JXS

                      • K8DNE
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 10, 2006
                          lothar.harris@... wrote:

                          > What 9.6 Volts are you talking about? Does the D700 provide voltage to
                          > the GPS and if so, on which line? I was under the impression that the
                          > D700 accepted only data in and data out lines - no voltage. Is this wrong??

                          Way back when the question was asked, I thought that the poster
                          mentioned that his setup somehow used the I/O port for his GPS and said
                          I/O port does derive its voltage from the 9.6 power buss. If my I/O
                          port use assumption is incorrect for him,,,,,all of my answer (to this
                          question and poster) was incorrect. My bad......

                          To avoid any further confusion from me, I will not post any more to this
                          list.

                          Be safe y'all.

                          whr
                          --