RE: [TMD700A] Radio lockup when power removed

  • Herb Gerhardt
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      No, I have not seen this particular problem, but then again, I have never
      performed the sequence you describe. I would recommend that you do NOT
      perform this sequence again!

      When the D700 is connected to power, at times you will notice a spark at the
      connection point. This spark is caused by the radio drawing power at the
      moment you plug the power connector to a 12 VDC sources even though the
      control head power button has not been depressed and the control head is
      OFF. The radio body has to be partially energized in order to be able to
      turn the power ON/OFF on the remote control head. So this radio is always
      drawing some power from the source! No, I have never measured this power
      but have never had it be the cause for depleting my car battery even after
      not starting it for a couple of weeks.

      So by your sequence, you shut the Control Head power switch off and then
      your Astron power supply OFF. Then when you turn your Astron power supply
      back ON, you notice problems with your D700. I would suspect that when you
      shut the power supply OFF, the power decays at some weird rate until it goes
      to zero. Then when you turn the power supply back ON, the power supply
      generates some weird transients until it stabilizes. DON'T DO THAT TO YOUR
      RADIO! The radio was designed to either have 12 VDC connected to the radio
      or to have the 12 VDC disconnected from your radio after the control head
      power switch is shut OFF.

      Also, once you install your radio in your car, DO NOT start your engine
      while the radio is turned ON. Shut it OFF first, start your engine and then
      turn it back ON. Otherwise, anything might happen! When you start your
      engine, depending on your vehicle, the battery voltage drops way down and if
      your radio is already ON (lit control head), the display may go OFF or blink
      momentarily. Again this is dropping the supply voltage to your radio and
      creating transients that your radio does not like. On mine I have had all
      sorts of strange things happen during those transients including turning one
      of the bands off or changing the display settings. You might even have to
      reprogram your radio. So again, DON'T DO THAT!

      Keep in mind that these weird transients will be different depending on the
      condition of your car battery, the inrush currents of your starter or
      whatever other devices are cycled in your particular vehicle during the
      starting cycle. I drive only diesel vehicles and these have a much greater
      voltage drop during starting than gas vehicles but to play it save, shut the
      radio OFF every time, before you turn that ignition key.

      Also, NEVER unplug the control head while the radio is turned ON. That
      transient may blow a fuse in the control head.

      Other than these quirks, you bought a fantastic mobile radio! I sure love
      mine and highly recommend to others who play APRS to get a D700.

      Herb, KB7UVC
      NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
      Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

    • John (and Brenda) Kintz
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
        Trevor -

        I have had a TMD700 installed in one of my cars since 2003. The power to
        the radio is controlled by an ignition relay, which means that the radio
        can not see any voltage when the ignition is off, but it still comes on
        reliably (without any need to push the power button) whenever the ignition
        is switched on.

        How old is your TMD700?? If it has an internal memory battery (and I'm not
        sure if it does or not), a low or depleted memory battery might cause this
        behavior.

        Good luck.

        John
        K1NTZ

        At 06:06 AM 4/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hellos,
        >
        >I bought a D700 a month or so ago and have had it on the bench powered
        >by a Astron SS-30 (until it goes in the car).
        >
        >A couple of times I have had the radio on, but have had to unplug the
        >power supply for one reason or another. I turn the radio off, turn the
        >power supply off, unplug the power supply and do whatever I need to do.
        >
        >Sometimes when I plug the power supply back in, and turn it on, the
        >radio won't power on. Or the screen will light up and do nothing. I
        >have had to press and hold the reset button, unplug the power cord
        >from the radio, and unplug the head and let it sit for a day.
        >
        >When I plug it all back in, the radio comes back on (reset to factory
        >of course) and have had to re-upload the config to it.
        >
        >I have tried just unplugging it all without the reset button but it
        >still doesn't turn on.
        >

        >Has anyone had this problem? I don't think there will be a problem in
        >the car, unless the battery dies of course, but if there is a fix, i'd
        >love to do it before I install it.
        >
        >Trevor Raty
        >KG6MDW
      • mashenfelter
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
          Ditto. I have had two installed for four years with relay coil wired to
          ignition switch. Power direct from battery.
          No problems. No low voltages that way. Never use the power button when
          turning off. Just let the relay do the work.
          Mike

          I have had a TMD700 installed in one of my cars since 2003. The power to
          the radio is controlled by an ignition relay, which means that the radio
          can not see any voltage when the ignition is off, but it still comes on
          reliably (without any need to push the power button) whenever the ignition
          is switched on.

          How old is your TMD700?? If it has an internal memory battery (and I'm not
          sure if it does or not), a low or depleted memory battery might cause this
          behavior.

          Good luck.

          John
          K1NTZ

          At 06:06 AM 4/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hellos,
          >
          >I bought a D700 a month or so ago and have had it on the bench powered
          >by a Astron SS-30 (until it goes in the car).
          >
          >A couple of times I have had the radio on, but have had to unplug the
          >power supply for one reason or another. I turn the radio off, turn the
          >power supply off, unplug the power supply and do whatever I need to do.
          >
          >Sometimes when I plug the power supply back in, and turn it on, the
          >radio won't power on. Or the screen will light up and do nothing. I
          >have had to press and hold the reset button, unplug the power cord
          >from the radio, and unplug the head and let it sit for a day.
          >
          >When I plug it all back in, the radio comes back on (reset to factory
          >of course) and have had to re-upload the config to it.
          >
          >I have tried just unplugging it all without the reset button but it
          >still doesn't turn on.
          >

          >Has anyone had this problem? I don't think there will be a problem in
          >the car, unless the battery dies of course, but if there is a fix, i'd
          >love to do it before I install it.
          >
          >Trevor Raty
          >KG6MDW

          Community email addresses: