slight inferference while dual scanning

  • kg4rgn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 2:04 PM
      I had the D700A just s few weeks and was noting while in scan on the
      right side and left side, if the left side stops on a week station, I
      hear scan noise from the opposite side. Is this common with the
      transceiver. If the scan stops on a strong station, I here no scan
      noise from the oppisite side while still scanning.

      Still hoping to get into APRS, still looking for a GPS unit.

      Kg4rgn - Williamsburg VA
    • leobartnik
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 3:31 PM
        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kg4rgn" <kg4rgn@...> wrote:

        > I had the D700A just s few weeks and was noting while in scan on the
        > right side and left side, if the left side stops on a week station, I
        > hear scan noise from the opposite side. Is this common with the
        > transceiver. If the scan stops on a strong station, I here no scan
        > noise from the oppisite side while still scanning.

        I hear a steady clicking noise as the other band is scanning through
        memories. This is my second D700 and my other one did this as well.

        Leo KD7OHC

        > Still hoping to get into APRS, still looking for a GPS unit.
        >
        > Kg4rgn - Williamsburg VA

      • hazmatt1981
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 7:49 AM
          Do you have both VHF and UHF channels in memory?

          My VX-7R 'clicks' every time it goes between VHF and UHF.

          Alternately I've noticed clicking on each 'turn' of the tuning dial
          through memories. But only if there is currently audio coming out of
          the radio.

          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "leobartnik" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kg4rgn" <kg4rgn@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had the D700A just s few weeks and was noting while in scan on the
          > > right side and left side, if the left side stops on a week station, I
          > > hear scan noise from the opposite side. Is this common with the
          > > transceiver. If the scan stops on a strong station, I here no scan
          > > noise from the oppisite side while still scanning.
          > >

          > I hear a steady clicking noise as the other band is scanning through
          > memories. This is my second D700 and my other one did this as well.
          >
          > Leo KD7OHC
          >
          > > Still hoping to get into APRS, still looking for a GPS unit.
          > >
          > > Kg4rgn - Williamsburg VA

        • leobartnik
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 10:08 AM
            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "hazmatt1981" <hazmatt1981@...> wrote:

            > Do you have both VHF and UHF channels in memory?
            >
            > My VX-7R 'clicks' every time it goes between VHF and UHF.

            I do have both VHF and UHF in memory, but I think it is happening for
            every memory channel (could be wrong about this; I'll have to check it
            out later) because I tend to group VHF frequencies together and UHF
            frequencies together and I recall hearing the clicking for every
            memory channel that is scanned, not just at the breaks between groups.

            > Alternately I've noticed clicking on each 'turn' of the tuning dial
            > through memories. But only if there is currently audio coming out of
            > the radio.

            I have noticed that too.

            I just realized that I haven't noticed this lately because I run APRS
            on one band and scan on the other, and I don't listen to the audio for
            the data side (actually I have the data frequency toned so I only hear
            packets for people who are nearby and who have the same tone).

            Regards,

            Leo
            KD7OHC

            > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "leobartnik" <yahoo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kg4rgn" <kg4rgn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I had the D700A just s few weeks and was noting while in scan on
            the
            > > > right side and left side, if the left side stops on a week
            station, I
            > > > hear scan noise from the opposite side. Is this common with the
            > > > transceiver. If the scan stops on a strong station, I here no scan
            > > > noise from the oppisite side while still scanning.
            > > >

            > > I hear a steady clicking noise as the other band is scanning through
            > > memories. This is my second D700 and my other one did this as well.
            > >
            > > Leo KD7OHC
            > >
            > > > Still hoping to get into APRS, still looking for a GPS unit.
            > > >
            > > > Kg4rgn - Williamsburg VA

          • agcme2002
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2 6:48 PM
              The "ticking" you're hearing in the D700 is actually spurs from the
              VFO synthesizer and processor as it flips from channel to channel. I
              hear the exact same thing in my D700. It's not really a defect, it's
              just an internal bit of interference that leaks over into the audio
              circuitry when scanning.

              You'll notice that the clicking doesn't occur if you're doing a VFO
              scan which smoothly runs up the oscillator frequency. A memory scan
              causes the oscillator to jump around. The jumping in frequencies
              causes discontinuities in the oscillator waveform which results in the
              spurs.