RE: [TMD700A] Sporatic "bee-doop's"

  • Herb Gerhardt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      No Doug, that is not bizarre. It has nothing to do with your WinAPRS
      program or any other APRS client program.

      I would suspect that the digi owners in your specific area have not updated
      their digi's to the new paradigm settings which have been recommended nation
      wide for several months now. Their digi's might be set to only respond to a
      simple WIDE and not the WIDEn-N path!

      I would suggest you contact your local digi owner and request that he
      upgrade to the new settings.

      Under the new settings, here in the North West, we recommend that home
      stations use a simple WIDE2-2 and mobile stations use a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
      Using the WIDE1-1 as the first path spot (WIDE1-1 must never be used in any
      other spot), will get the home stations set for digipeating a WIDE1-1, to
      digipeat you once and help get you into your local APRS network. This works
      the same as the old RELAY path used to do. The old RELAY path has been
      abandoned, so if your area digi's and home relays have upgraded to the new
      settings, they will no longer respond to a path of RELAY. You can check out
      our recommended settings on our web site below.

      Herb, KB7UVC
      NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
      Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.org

    • Doug Ferrell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        On Tue, 31 May 2005, Doug Alderdice wrote:

        > At 01:51 PM 5/31/2005, Jon M. Hanson wrote:
        > >On Tuesday 31 May 2005 10:20 am, kf4orw wrote:
        > > > Ok, my TM-D700 has gotten tempermental and sends out its location very
        > > > sporatically (once in a blue moon!!!!) Any ideas ???
        >
        > Are you using the new vias? (WIDE2-2) I had the same problem here when I
        > started using the new vias that everyone is screaming about. In talking
        > with the local digipeater owner it apparently had something to do with the
        > software upgrade in the digi that handles the new vias that either hadn't
        > been done or hadn't gone right. I got no bee-doops for quite a while after
        > changing to the new via (I used to get them almost all the time with the
        > old way when traversing the local area) but noticed in the last few days
        > they have started again. Must be the fixed the digi or something.
        >
        > My car running the D700 with the WIDE2-2 via still doesn't plot in my
        > WinAPRS, however, as well as other stations running WIDE2. Still trying to
        > figure that one out. Change the via back to WIDE, WIDE and I plot in
        > WinAPRS. Bizarre.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Doug, KA2WFT

        All I can figure is that the digis are not configured correctly. I
        converted the two Tallahassee area digi's to the new paradigm and all is
        well as before the switch. I run two D700's and I get the audio
        notices as before.

        Might want to check with the digi owners to see how they set things up.

        The only thing that I have noticed (and I maybe reading it
        incorrectly) is that WIDE 4+ still come though as before. They are not
        trapped but I was told they are only trapped on the originating digi. So
        I guess until everyone is switched over, it dosen't help those 4+ hops
        that much.

        --

        ...DOUG, KD4MOJ
        http://www.kd4moj.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          At 08:52 AM 6/1/05 -0700, Herb Gerhardt wrote:
          >I would suspect that the digi owners in your specific area have not updated
          >their digi's to the new paradigm settings which have been recommended nation
          >wide for several months now. Their digi's might be set to only respond to a
          >simple WIDE and not the WIDEn-N path!
          >
          >I would suggest you contact your local digi owner and request that he
          >upgrade to the new settings.

          Supposedly our local digi has been updated -- correctly -- and I am now
          getting "My Pos" bee-dopps again as of a few days ago. My D700 mobile
          doesn't map on my WinAPRS screen when it is sitting in my driveway, so I am
          hearing direct, so the digi shouldn't be an issue in that
          scenario. Indeed, if I change the via back to something like RELAY or just
          plain old WIDE when it's in the driveway there I am on the screen.

          >Under the new settings, here in the North West, we recommend that home
          >stations use a simple WIDE2-2 and mobile stations use a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
          >Using the WIDE1-1 as the first path spot (WIDE1-1 must never be used in any
          >other spot), will get the home stations set for digipeating a WIDE1-1, to
          >digipeat you once and help get you into your local APRS network.

          Well, I just got an email that the local digi owner is contacting local
          operators and telling mobiles (and me specifically) that I SHOULDN'T be
          using WIDE2-2 in my D700 mobile, which is what
          http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html says mobiles (and
          fixed stations) are supposed to use, I should be using WIDE1-1 ONLY.

          I am getting pretty fed up about the whole thing. And we have also strayed
          too far off the D700 topic so now the list police will be after us, too.

          73.

          Doug, KA2WFT