Re: Interesting Information from a KENWOOD engineer

  • Scott KF4NDQ
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      --- In TMD700A@egroups.com, Alan B Schulman <n4lbl@a...> wrote:
      > As a lover of conspiracy theories I would first presume
      > that the 6 connector to 4 connector cable was concocted
      > to increase the likelihood that we would buy their cable
      > rather than making one ourselves.

      I cheat! I use a handset cord and cut off one end and then crimp a
      regular 6 or 4 conn. modular end on it. Just be careful of polarity
      if you do it yourself. DO NOT PLUG IN ONE END WHILE CRIMPING THE
      OTHER. I read where someone let the smoke out of thier radio while
      making a console cable. KEEP THE SMOKE IN THE RIG!!!! :)

      Scott
      KF4NDQ
    • Dave Hadler
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001

        I made my own cable as well and took special care to use screened cable making sure that the screen went to the same pin as it does in the original. I'm suprised that other "homemade" cables work without noise or RF problems I'd be very suprised if Kenwood have not connected some signal to the spare two pins but until I can get hold of a circuit diagram I guess I'll just have to beleive their responce. Does anyone know if the spare "unused" pin on the Mic connector has receive audio on it like older Kenwood rigs? It would be useful for headsets and so on.

        Cheers Dave`ZL3TRX