Garmin iQue-3600

  • Burt N Sammis
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
      I have the Kenwood TM-D700a with the built-in TNC along with the Garmin iQue-3600 GPS.

      The 700a has included in the package a 2.5 mm (1/10") 3-conductor plug with a length of very small cable. Instructions on page 10 of the Specialized Communications manual of the 700a say to connect the 3 conductor cable from the radio GPS jack to the GPS.

      I find no place to make this connection on the Garmin 3600. Has anyone done this connection? If so, where and how was the cable connected to the 3600?

      Burt

    • Jim Templeton
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Burt N Sammis" <kango03@m...> wrote:
        > I have the Kenwood TM-D700a with the built-in TNC along with the
        Garmin iQue-3600 GPS.

        > I find no place to make this connection on the Garmin 3600. Has
        anyone done this connection? If so, where and how was the cable
        connected to the 3600?

        Burt,

        The Garmin website points out that the 3600 does not output NMEA
        data. :( Only GPS recievers with an NMEA serial port can connect
        directly to the TM-D700.

        I have used a Garmin GPS-V and a Streetpilot III on the D700 with
        great success.

        Jim NØPTN
      • Tim Kilbride
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
          While going out to North Platte,NE over the weekend my GPS unit would shut
          down when my radio TXed a packet. So then I would have to restart my GPS
          unit after every TX. Finally I just left it off and then a few hours later I
          turned it on and it has worked fine since. I have the Magellan 310. What
          would cause this?

          Thanks,
          Tim K.
        • Burt N Sammis
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
            Thanks Jim. I guess I miss that when I was trying to figure out how to connect it to the D700.
            I guess I will have to go another route.

            Burt
            > I have the Kenwood TM-D700a with the built-in TNC along with the
            Garmin iQue-3600 GPS.

            > I find no place to make this connection on the Garmin 3600. Has
            anyone done this connection? If so, where and how was the cable
            connected to the 3600?

            Burt,

            The Garmin website points out that the 3600 does not output NMEA
            data. :( Only GPS recievers with an NMEA serial port can connect
            directly to the TM-D700.

            I have used a Garmin GPS-V and a Streetpilot III on the D700 with
            great success.

            Jim NØPTN

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com