TM-D700A software problem

  • B.R.
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      I got a cable and adapter today for my laptop to program my D700 with
      the software.The first problem I had was when I went to read the
      radio it said to Check the Comport which I did and finally got that
      right.When I started to read it again it said "Communication Timeout
      Error". I changed comports again and speed with no change.Anyone have
      any ideas what this might mean? My laptop only has a 25 and 15 pin
      female ports and 3 USB ports but I was told that with the 25 pin
      male/9 pin male adaptor that the software would work.Any help would
      be appreciated.--Thanks
    • Brad Heaton
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        The 25 pin female (place for pins to stick in) port is a parallel
        printer port. Serial ports are 9 or 25 pin male ports (pins sticking
        out).

        The TM D700 requires a serial port. If you computer does not have a
        serial port (many newer computers do not, especially laptops) then
        you will need a USB to Serial port adapter. I have very little
        experience with them but have heard mixed reports as to which brands
        work and which cause grief.

        -Brad

        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "B.R." <motastro1@y...> wrote:

        > I got a cable and adapter today for my laptop to program my D700
        with
        > the software.The first problem I had was when I went to read the
        > radio it said to Check the Comport which I did and finally got that
        > right.When I started to read it again it said "Communication
        Timeout
        > Error". I changed comports again and speed with no change.Anyone
        have
        > any ideas what this might mean? My laptop only has a 25 and 15 pin
        > female ports and 3 USB ports but I was told that with the 25 pin
        > male/9 pin male adaptor that the software would work.Any help would
        > be appreciated.--Thanks
      • Allen Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
          Also make sure that the cable IS NOT A CROSS OVER CABLE where pins 2 and 3
          are reversed on either end.

          Al

          At 06:49 PM 12/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:

          >The 25 pin female (place for pins to stick in) port is a parallel
          >printer port. Serial ports are 9 or 25 pin male ports (pins sticking
          >out).
          >
          >The TM D700 requires a serial port. If you computer does not have a
          >serial port (many newer computers do not, especially laptops) then
          >you will need a USB to Serial port adapter. I have very little
          >experience with them but have heard mixed reports as to which brands
          >work and which cause grief.
          >
          >-Brad
          >

          >--- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "B.R." <motastro1@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I got a cable and adapter today for my laptop to program my D700
          >with
          > > the software.The first problem I had was when I went to read the
          > > radio it said to Check the Comport which I did and finally got that
          > > right.When I started to read it again it said "Communication
          >Timeout
          > > Error". I changed comports again and speed with no change.Anyone
          >have
          > > any ideas what this might mean? My laptop only has a 25 and 15 pin
          > > female ports and 3 USB ports but I was told that with the 25 pin
          > > male/9 pin male adaptor that the software would work.Any help would
          > > be appreciated.--Thanks
          >

          >Community email addresses:
          > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
          > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
          >
          >Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Brad Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            I've never seen a notebook with a 25-pin serial port. The more likely scenario is that you're looking at the printer port, which will never work. Check Device Manager (via Control Panel|System) and see what COM ports Windows thinks you actually have. I'm betting none (except maybe one associated with the built-in modem if you have one).
            That being the case, you'll want to try one of the various USB->Serial converters that are available.

            I got a cable and adapter today for my laptop to program my D700 with
            the software.The first problem I had was when I went to read the
            radio it said to Check the Comport which I did and finally got that
            right.When I started to read it again it said "Communication Timeout
            Error". I changed comports again and speed with no change.Anyone have
            any ideas what this might mean? My laptop only has a 25 and 15 pin
            female ports and 3 USB ports but I was told that with the 25 pin
            male/9 pin male adaptor that the software would work.Any help would
            be appreciated.--Thanks

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
            Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com

            Shortcut URL to this page:
            http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Bob Ower
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
              At 02:10 PM 12/1/2004, you wrote:
              >That being the case, you'll want to try one of the various USB->Serial
              >converters that are available.

              FYI, I have been using a Belkin USB>Serial converter with my Kenwood
              TS-B2000 and my PC. Have had no problems.

              ----------
              Bob Ower
              Prescott, AZ
              All outgoing email virus-checked by ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus.

              ----------
              Leather Craftsman
              dba The Leather Horseshoe
              http://owerr.tripod.com
              Member: International Internet Leathercrafters Guild
              http://iilg.org

              ----------
              Amateur Radio Operator: WA7YUL (Advanced class license)
              Life Member: ARRL
              http://www.arrl.org
              Member: Yavapai Amateur Radio Club
              http://www.w7yrc.org
              Lat: 34 35 58
              Lon: -112 27 43
              Grid Square: DM34so

              Arizona real estate broker
              Associate Broker with Professional Education Services, Inc., Sedona, Arizona
              www.bestschoolofrealestate.com