Re: newbie questions

  • Scott KF4NDQ
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1 2:46 AM
      --- In TMD700A@egroups.com, ik7565@e... wrote:
      > Installing a TM-D700A in my Crown Vic this weekend. Can't find a
      good
      > location to go through the firewall for power. Any problems taking
      > 12vdc power off one of the seat motors?

      I have a 99 Crown Vic and I used the feed to the lighter on the
      pullout drawer as the power source. Here is the rest of the
      installation...

      I installed the mobile mount to the radio and put wide strips of the
      hook side of Velcro on it so it would stick to the carpet. The radio
      was then mounted (placed) on the hump. This was because I wanted to
      be able to move the radio quickly into the house. Deinstallation
      requires no tools.

      I also used a piece of a mounting bracket set you can buy from RS and
      drilled a hole on the ashtray itself. I bolted this piece to the
      ashtray and then bolted the head base to the mount. I did this
      because the dash design of this model Vic doesn't leave many places
      the drill holes and then have them be unseen at trade-in time

      I then used a 7 foot handset cord and replaced one end with a 6
      conductor end. This is left in place when I remove the radio.

      The GPS (modified tripmate) is placed in the rear deck again using
      Velcro. The cabling for the GPS and power ran thru the wiring channel
      near the passenger side doors.

      I have dark tinted windows, you see I live in Arizona and it is
      required by law :)(just kidding), so you really can't see the install
      of any of the goodies until you open the door. With the antenna
      mounted on the back and the dark windows, the car really slows
      speeders down on thier way by as the s-l-o-w-l-y pass. The car gets a
      whole lot more repect on the road than the pickup truck does ;)

      Scott
      KF4NDQ
    • ik7565@erols.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8 2:26 PM
        Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I did the hump installation
        described below and found my way through the firewall via a soft black
        rubber gasket just above the gas pedal. The cruise control? vacuum line
        passes through this gasket and there's plenty of room so I punched 2
        holes with a awl and went directly to the battery - tight seal and no
        ignition noise or alternator whine reported (2000 Crown Vic). GPS and
        control head velcro'd on the dash - no screws anywhere - wires go to
        either side and down the door jams to up under the dash. Used velcro to
        hold down the wires - looks nice and quick to remove if necessary.

        73 de Ian, KG4JLK-9

        Scott KF4NDQ wrote:

        > --- In TMD700A@egroups.com, ik7565@e... wrote:
        > > Installing a TM-D700A in my Crown Vic this weekend. Can't find a
        > good
        > > location to go through the firewall for power. Any problems taking
        > > 12vdc power off one of the seat motors?
        >
        > I have a 99 Crown Vic and I used the feed to the lighter on the
        > pullout drawer as the power source. Here is the rest of the
        > installation...
        >
        > I installed the mobile mount to the radio and put wide strips of the
        > hook side of Velcro on it so it would stick to the carpet. The radio
        > was then mounted (placed) on the hump. This was because I wanted to
        > be able to move the radio quickly into the house. Deinstallation
        > requires no tools.
        >
        > I also used a piece of a mounting bracket set you can buy from RS and
        > drilled a hole on the ashtray itself. I bolted this piece to the
        > ashtray and then bolted the head base to the mount. I did this
        > because the dash design of this model Vic doesn't leave many places
        > the drill holes and then have them be unseen at trade-in time
        >
        > I then used a 7 foot handset cord and replaced one end with a 6
        > conductor end. This is left in place when I remove the radio.
        >
        > The GPS (modified tripmate) is placed in the rear deck again using
        > Velcro. The cabling for the GPS and power ran thru the wiring channel
        > near the passenger side doors.
        >
        > I have dark tinted windows, you see I live in Arizona and it is
        > required by law :)(just kidding), so you really can't see the install
        > of any of the goodies until you open the door. With the antenna
        > mounted on the back and the dark windows, the car really slows
        > speeders down on thier way by as the s-l-o-w-l-y pass. The car gets a
        > whole lot more repect on the road than the pickup truck does ;)
        >
        > Scott
        > KF4NDQ
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A
      • philip yanov
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9 1:47 PM
          > Is RELAY,WIDE the appropriate path? Recommended TX interval? What
          > about using the rig as a digipeater while mobile? TIA.

          The primary considerations of the path issue are "Am I getting my
          packet where I want it to go?" and "Am I minimizing my contribution
          to the channel load on my local APRS network." Those considerations
          mean that the correct path for any particular station will depend
          upon their objectives and digipeater environment.

          In my area, RELAY, WIDE might be the correct path if I want to make
          sure that most other APRS stations within a 15 mile radius can hear
          me. In my particular application, I would like to make sure my
          packet is heard by the closest IGATE. To accomplish this I use a
          path of RELAY, WIDE3-3. If I didn't have such terrain issues, I might
          try WIDE3-3 without the Relay. My problem is that sometimes my
          packet actually depends on a RELAY digi (a home station) to lift it
          high enough to hit a WIDE digi and then it is 3 hops to the IGate.

          My example is probably not a lot of help to you, but it might serve
          as illustration on how you go about determining the correct path for
          your needs.

          Since you mentioned that you are new, I might suggestions on a couple
          of things NOT to do. Never use more than one RELAY. Never put RELAY
          after WIDE, and never use more than two WIDEs.

          Also, It might be safe to suggest that WIDE2-2 is always better than
          WIDE, WIDE.

          On the TX interval, it also depends upon your objectives but 5 min
          for moving and 10-30 minutes for stationary are good starting
          places. I use the PM function in my D700 to set up different sets of
          parameters for when I am moving or stationary.

          Hope this helps.