Dead TMD700 - need help!

  • Letcher Ross
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      I killed my TMD700. I think it was due to my attempt to build a control
      cable extension. It worked fine until I plugged in the homemade cable I
      built using modular telephone cable and plugs. Now it won't power up at
      all. My old eyes aren't what they used to be.

      Does anyone know of a repair service in the Seattle area that can
      replace the surface mounted fuse I have probably blown? I don't want to
      wait for the round trip shipment to Kenwood. I need my radio back!

      Letcher Ross, KD7YOH
    • Charlie Rahe
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        Letcher-
        I had the same problem on two units and like you my eyes haven't gotten
        any better with age. I sent the radios to Kenwood's East Coast shop &
        was very pleased with the turnaround time & the cost was less then I
        expected. One of the units failed to operate when it was received back.
        When I contacted them they said to return it. They not only replaced the
        parts they had changed before, but also another part & included a new
        control head cable all at no additional cost. I can't speak for the West
        Coast shop, but I was impressed with the service I got. Here's the URL:

        http://www.avsl.net/

        There is also a transistor that was replaced in addition to the fuse.

        Charlie, AI3L

        Letcher Ross wrote:

        > I killed my TMD700. I think it was due to my attempt to build a control
        > cable extension. It worked fine until I plugged in the homemade cable I
        > built using modular telephone cable and plugs. Now it won't power up at
        > all. My old eyes aren't what they used to be.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a repair service in the Seattle area that can
        > replace the surface mounted fuse I have probably blown? I don't want to
        > wait for the round trip shipment to Kenwood. I need my radio back!
        >
        > Letcher Ross, KD7YOH
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Carlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          good news - your radio is probably not damaged!!!

          My cat chewed through the control head cable one night when I was sleeping. The next day I turned on the radio and nothing happened. I then noticed the cat damage and figured out that some of the wires had the insulation removed which caused a short.

          I took the radio to a friend who works on commercial gear and he removed a very little bus fuse, then the radio worked again. The problem now is that if the cable suffers more cat damage, the internal protection is removed. The radio is installed in my vehicle, I do not think the cat is going to bother the radio anymore.

          -- James KF4OUI

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
            What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?

            Thanks,

            Jim KB0OIJ

          • whensley11@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
              I've had all positive experiences with this facility!
              Very friendly - and service oriented!

              73,
              ...Kim - WG8S
            • Charlie Rahe
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2004
                I can't find my paperwork right now, but as I remember it was about $50
                for each radio.

              • James Carlin
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2004
                  I had a similar problem, only my issue was caused not by a home made control cable, but by an adopted alley cat with a fetish for chewing on inappropriate objects.

                  I took my D700 to friend who works on commercial radios. He discovered a little internal fuse that was blown. He was able to fix the blown fuse by umpiring it with a very thin wire. The radio has worked fine since then.

                  I am going to order another fuse and have it replaced. The cost will be only what I have to spend for the fuses.

                  -- James KF4OUI

                  Jim Oleson wrote:
                  > What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Jim KB0OIJ
                  >

                  > --- Charlie Rahe <crahe@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>Letcher-
                  >>I had the same problem on two units and like you my
                  >>eyes haven't gotten
                  >>any better with age. I sent the radios to Kenwood's
                  >>East Coast shop &
                  >>was very pleased with the turnaround time & the cost
                  >>was less then I
                  >>expected. One of the units failed to operate when it
                  >>was received back.
                  >>When I contacted them they said to return it. They
                  >>not only replaced the
                  >>parts they had changed before, but also another part
                  >>& included a new
                  >>control head cable all at no additional cost. I
                  >>can't speak for the West
                  >>Coast shop, but I was impressed with the service I
                  >>got. Here's the URL:
                  >>
                  >>http://www.avsl.net/
                  >>
                  >>There is also a transistor that was replaced in
                  >>addition to the fuse.
                  >>
                  >>Charlie, AI3L
                  >>
                  >>Letcher Ross wrote:
                  >>

                  >>>I killed my TMD700. I think it was due to my
                  >>
                  >>attempt to build a control
                  >>
                  >>>cable extension. It worked fine until I plugged
                  >>
                  >>in the homemade cable I
                  >>
                  >>>built using modular telephone cable and plugs.
                  >>
                  >>Now it won't power up at
                  >>
                  >>>all. My old eyes aren't what they used to be.
                  >>>
                  >>>Does anyone know of a repair service in the
                  >>
                  >>Seattle area that can
                  >>
                  >>>replace the surface mounted fuse I have probably
                  >>
                  >>blown? I don't want to
                  >>
                  >>>wait for the round trip shipment to Kenwood. I
                  >>
                  >>need my radio back!
                  >>
                  >>>Letcher Ross, KD7YOH
                  >>>

                  >>>Community email addresses:
                  >>> Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
                  >>> Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
                  >>>
                  >>>Shortcut URL to this page:
                  >>> http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A
                  >>>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Community email addresses:
                  > Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
                  > Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com
                  >
                  > Shortcut URL to this page:
                  > http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
                  Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com

                  Shortcut URL to this page:
                  http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Charlie Rahe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2004
                    I considered a similar repair, but deceided against it. The shop also
                    replaced a transistor. I'm not sure that was necessary. When they
                    returned the radios they included a note about diconnecting the head
                    cable with power applied. I'm not sure if they mean the radio turned on
                    or just "plugged in", but I'm not going to take ant chances. This
                    problem can still occur in the absence of cats and homemade cables as it
                    did in my case.
                    Charlie, AI3L