gps data feed thru to laptop

  • worf1956
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      I'm running a Garmin GPS III Plus with my D700A, works great on Aprs.
      I have been told that I can hook a laptop to the data port of the
      D700 and while running one of the street type software track my
      movements on the display. Can anyone tell me how to make this work.
      I'm new to the board.

      Thanks
      Jeff
      kb5nmb
    • richard_ashton@i2.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        I've tried it with Street Atlas. I hooked D700 up to the laptop serial
        port. The mapping software communicates with the D700 in TNC mode, not
        APRS mode, so you can't track yourself and xmit/rcv in APRS at the same
        time. APRSMapPoint solves that problem and lets you do both.

        Rick
        W5RAA

        "worf1956" <worf1956@...>
        05/01/03 15:04
        Please respond to TMD700A

        To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [TMD700A] gps data feed thru to laptop

        I'm running a Garmin GPS III Plus with my D700A, works great on Aprs.
        I have been told that I can hook a laptop to the data port of the
        D700 and while running one of the street type software track my
        movements on the display. Can anyone tell me how to make this work.
        I'm new to the board.

        Thanks
        Jeff
        kb5nmb

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
        Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

      • Haynie, Bruce
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2003
          Hi Rick! Is their an online resource describing APRSMapPoint??

          Thanks!

          Bruce/N5WRA

          I've tried it with Street Atlas. I hooked D700 up to the laptop serial
          port. The mapping software communicates with the D700 in TNC mode, not
          APRS mode, so you can't track yourself and xmit/rcv in APRS at the same
          time. APRSMapPoint solves that problem and lets you do both.

          Rick
          W5RAA

          "worf1956" <worf1956@...>
          05/01/03 15:04
          Please respond to TMD700A

          To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com
          cc:

          I'm running a Garmin GPS III Plus with my D700A, works great on Aprs.
          I have been told that I can hook a laptop to the data port of the
          D700 and while running one of the street type software track my
          movements on the display. Can anyone tell me how to make this work.
          I'm new to the board.

          Thanks
          Jeff
          kb5nmb

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
          Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
          Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

        • lampasasrepeater(DW)
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2003
            I have to same setup but was unable to get it to work either?
            I can do Packet with the laptop but not aprs tracking with street atlas, I ended up buying a 2nd gps just for the laptop.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2003
              Hi Bruce:

              Check out http://www.aprspoint.com/

              Regards,

              Rick
              W5RAA

            • Juergen Frank
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2003
                A simple Y-adapter splitting the signal from GPS to D-700 and to Notebook
                would have been easier and cheaper... (at least the last ;)

                73 de Juergen

                P.S. You could also use UI-View with D700 in PKT-mode and use it'S mapping
                capabilities or use the GPS-out function of UI-View to forward the
                GPS-signal to an unused Com-port (or a com-port bridge application).

                --
                DB2FM
                Juergen Frank

                "lampasasrepeater\(DW\)" <lampasasrepeater@...> wrote:

                > I have to same setup but was unable to get it to work either?
                > I can do Packet with the laptop but not aprs tracking with street atlas, I
                > ended up buying a 2nd gps just for the laptop.

              • Terry Neth N3XBO
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2003
                  WinAPRS will do the same.!!!

                  Terry Neth
                  N3XBO
                • Terry Neth N3XBO
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2003
                    APRSpoint Needs some work. I have it and dont like it.

                    Terry neth
                    N3XBO
                  • Lampasasrepeater
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7, 2003
                      Where do you find the APRSMapPoint Software?
                      Thanks