HELP! Getting cat-meow /whine noise on transmit on stock unit...

  • steve410pe
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi all! Got a new D700A, completely stock, no add-ons, no mods
      *and* no GPS unit. But I was in a QSO with someone and 4 transmit
      times out of a total of approx 20 transmit times, I transmited
      the infamous *rising* sound that sounds like a siren or a cat's
      meow.

      Again, it only happened 4 out of the 20 transmits. I did
      not have the TNC on. I was driving, so the car was running.
      The rest of the time it was fine. I was on Band B, set to a 449MHz
      repeater. The radio is in the back of the car (below the
      *grounded-to-the-chassis* antenna located on top of the trunk). Since
      I operate from the front of the car, I have an external speaker, the
      mic cable, and the face/control head cable running from the back of
      the car to the front. I also have the power running from the back of
      the car (where the radio is) to the front and out to the car battery.

      Several of you have written in the past about different theories
      regarding this noise. Many included mentions of the TNC and/or GPS,
      but I have the same problem without the TNC on and I don't have
      a GPS.

      Has anybody heard of a solution for this? Any news from Kenwood
      regarding this? I have a new G2 (I guess that means "2nd
      Generation"?) unit, brand new, and yet it gets the same TX noise as my
      friend's older unit, and as I've read about in several posts. It's
      intermittent, but still a drag to have someone complain about your
      audio on a new radio.

      Any ideas? Solutions?

      On a different note, last week a weird *UNRELATED* incident happened
      while using the radio. I was in TNC mode to listen to APRS, and then
      switched TNC completely off (BAND A). I then went on 2m on BAND A and
      a 440 Freq on BAND B. While chatting on 2m, I was told that a noise,
      almost like an alternator, but did not rise or fall, was on my TX
      audio. Switching freqs did not help. Switching to the other band did
      not help. Same audio. Same volume. Same pitch (someone recorded me
      and played my QSO back for me to hear. I got rid of *that* noise by
      rebooting the rig (shutting it off and turning it back on. I haven't
      heard that noise again. Any thoughts on that one? I assume it was
      because I *was* in TNC mode (just watching APRS messages -- no GPS),
      switched TNC off, and then used the regular bands *without* rebooting
      the rig. Others experience this one?

      Anyway, the scary problem is the cat's meow/siren whine described
      earlier, as that's the one I'm hearing others with the 700 have as
      well.

      I really would love a solution to this problem, so that I can decide
      to keep the radio. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly
      appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any more info, however, I
      pretty much gave you as much info that currently have.

      Thanks in advance!

      Steve Rifkin
      KA3ZMN
      steve410@...
    • Patrick Domack
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
        Well, I can't really help you much, but. No one has ever complained about
        my audio, I am using a D700 with voice chip. Have an extention cable on
        the mic and head display, and garmin 17N with 20feet of gps cable. The
        radio power is being filtered to clean up noise, gps is not. The only real
        problem I have found is sometimes in the mornings the radio seems to lock
        up, and I turn the power off and back on, and it fixs it right up. The
        other thing I have to say is, are you using the kenwood extention kit, or
        cat5 for the mic. I have noticed if I use cat5 cable (even as short as 2
        foot peice) it picks up noise on that cable onto the mic audio, cause the
        cat5 isn't shielded, where as kenwoods cable is.

      • steve410pe
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
          > I have noticed if I use cat5 cable (even as short as 2
          > foot peice) it picks up noise on that cable onto the mic audio,
          cause the
          > cat5 isn't shielded, where as kenwoods cable is.

          I'm using Kenwood's mic ext cable (from my old V7A extension kit.

          Funny thing is, all this started happening around 3-4 days ago, and
          I've had the unit (and have run it through its paces) for 10 days.

          I checked the antenna... good SWR. This morning, I got the meow sound
          once. Then I got to work and sat in the parking lot. I was on low
          power. The reports were clear. I switch to high, and almost every
          transmission was squealing with the meow whine.

          Is the noise that you're referring to in your reply to me that you
          would get with a cat5 cable, the same rising siren/cat-meow-like
          noise?

          Thanks!

          Steve

          Steve

> [...]
          haven't
          > > heard that noise again. Any thoughts on that one? I assume it
          was
          > > because I *was* in TNC mode (just watching APRS messages -- no
          GPS),
          > > switched TNC off, and then used the regular bands *without*
          rebooting
          > > the rig. Others experience this one?
          > >
          > > Anyway, the scary problem is the cat's meow/siren whine described
          > > earlier, as that's the one I'm hearing others with the 700 have as
          > > well.
          > >
          > > I really would love a solution to this problem, so that I can
          decide
          > > to keep the radio. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly
          > > appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any more info, however,
          > > pretty much gave you as much info that currently have.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Patrick Domack
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
            Hmm, sorry, I'm not sure exactly what it sounded like, just when I did use
            it for testing inside the house. I got complaints. Once I got them, and
            eleminated different possibilities, and took it out, everything returned
            to normal, so they never really told me what it sounded like. I also would
            think if cat5 interference is the problem, the sound would change
            depending on what is injecting noise into it. In my house it would of been
            the computer and other radio's.