Garmin Emap price and info?

  • taillfeathers
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3 8:23 PM
      Hey guys! I found a Garmin Emap new for 119.99 and since I have not
      used a gps what I want to know will it work with my TMD700a and my
      THD7a for arps. It must be a standard version since I didn't see
      anything about having more memory. I am totally new to this, so much
      so that since my move last July I haven't even been able to unpack my
      gear. I would just like to know if should pass this up and is it the
      right gps for ARPS and will it work with my radios, is it adequate,
      should I buy something, Will I wish I had bought a different gps,
      Etc, etc, I am kinda in a hurry so comments would be appreciated.

      Gary
      n8gsj
    • Juergen Frank
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3 11:37 PM
        Hello Gary,

        I'm using an eMap in my car and it's great! It works both ways: Position to
        TRX and waypoints to GPS.

        73 de Juergen, db2fm

        --
        DB2FM
        Juergen Frank
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4 1:58 AM
          Hi Gary,

          I believe you can also add the optional memory card to the eMap for expanded viewing over the built-in base map. The eMap display for me in the vehicle was much too small, otherwise it is a fine unit. I do not remember what I had paid, but I had purchased the deluxe package that included other stuff. I have had many different ones, so I not sure what all came with it. All in all the price sounds reasonable. Good luck with it and welcome to APRS.

          73,
          Larry Winward, N2IFP

          --
          DB2FM
          Juergen Frank

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: TMD700A@onelist.com
          Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A

        • tailfeathers@juno.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4 10:47 AM
            OK I now own an eMap gps and will have to take a few days for its abilities to soak in. I will need to know what and where to get the best price on cables and connectors, etc. This thing has already set its own time. Freaky...It was on sale at a Kmart that is going belly up for 119.99. Its a ver 2.63 and I have already downloaded the newest urgrade but will need a cable to install it. There may be a Kmart near you that has one. It seemed to be a good price from what I could tell in just a little while on the web. They have about 6 left in Billings MT....:>) Feel free to advise me on this gadget.

            Gary

            am 04.05.2002 5:23 Uhr schrieb taillfeathers unter tailfeathers@...:

            > Hey guys! I found a Garmin Emap new for 119.99 and since I have not
            > used a gps what I want to know will it work with my TMD700a and my
            > THD7a for arps. It must be a standard version since I didn't see
            > anything about having more memory. I am totally new to this, so much
            > so that since my move last July I haven't even been able to unpack my
            > gear. I would just like to know if should pass this up and is it the
            > right gps for ARPS and will it work with my radios, is it adequate,
            > should I buy something, Will I wish I had bought a different gps,
            > Etc, etc, I am kinda in a hurry so comments would be appreciated.
            >
            > Gary
            > n8gsj

          • Steven & Maria Peterson
            Message 5 of 14 , May 4 2:44 PM
              It uses the satellites to set the internal clock. Each GPS satellite has two atomic clocks on-board. Needless to say, the clocks are quite accurate - they have to be. In military GPS systems, it takes three satellites for Lat. and Long. calculations, four satellites for Z, or altitude, calculations and a fifth satellite for time. I believe consumer units are the same. So, as long as you can acquire five satellites, your time should be accurate. Oh, with SA (Selective Availability) turned off (set to 0), your GPS should be accurate to within about 60'.

              73,

              Steven

              tailfeathers@... wrote:

              This thing has already set its own time. Freaky...

            • Stephen Verbil
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4 8:38 PM
                On Saturday 04 May 2002 05:44 pm, you wrote:
                > It uses the satellites to set the internal clock. Each GPS satellite has
                > two atomic clocks on-board. Needless to say, the clocks are quite
                > accurate - they have to be. In military GPS systems, it takes three
                > satellites for Lat. and Long. calculations, four satellites for Z, or
                > altitude, calculations and a fifth satellite for time. I believe
                > consumer units are the same. So, as long as you can acquire five
                > satellites, your time should be accurate.

                Nope - you only need one satellite to set time - all the satellites boradcast
                time, as well as almanac information. While you're gathering the almanac,
                you've already got the time.

                ---Steve
              • Steven & Maria Peterson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4 8:54 PM
                  Stephen,

                  Yes. I know that all satellites broadcast the time. That's not what I was saying.
                  Let me try it again.

                  In order to compute a latitude and longitude fix, you need three satellites.
                  In order to compute your Z axis, or altitude information, you need one more
                  satellite, for a total of four.
                  In order to obtain time information, you must acquire a total of five satellites
                  - three for X and Y, one for Z and the last is for time.

                  In other words, if you only have three satellites acquired, you only get X and Y
                  computation. If you can acquire four satellites, you can compute X, Y and Z. If
                  you can acquire five satellites, you get the whole enchilada - X, Y, Z and time.
                  A satellite whose data is being used to compute, for example, Y data, cannot be
                  used for time. Satellites being used for X and Y data cannot be used for Z and
                  time - you get the idea. As a 17-year Guidance & Control Technician working on
                  heavy aircraft, plus having spent the last seven years as a lead technician on
                  commercial flight simulators, I can say this with a certain level of confidence.
                  Not only that, the manual for my GPS repeats the same information. You are
                  correct that all satellites broadcast time and almanac data.

                  73,

                  Steven

                • tailfeathers@juno.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5 1:04 AM
                      Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 5:38 AM

                      How many sat's are there? Whats their height above earth? Are there more above certain parts of the US? How many above Montana? I'm familiar with C band Sat's but thats about it. :>) Is there a web page that splains all of my questions? Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm a carpenter not a guidance & control technician..

                      How about http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/ -- about halfway down it reveals that there are 24 sats about 12,000 miles up travelling at about 7,000 mph. There's even an "artist's impression" of their orbits.

                      You might also find their "GPS Guide for Beginners" a good read.

                      Hope this helps
                      Regards
                      Andy, G8TQH

                    • Steven & Maria Peterson
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 5 10:37 AM
                        Gary,

                        Here are a couple of interesting sites you might find interesting.

                        http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/gpsinfo.html

                        Interestingly enough, here's what they have to say on the topic of time:

                        GPS is at the present time the most competent system for time transfer ,
                        the distribution of Precise Time and Time Interval (PTTI). The system
                        uses time of arrival (TOA) measurements for the determination of user
                        position. A precisely timed clock is not essential for the user because
                        time is obtained in addition to position by the measurement of TOA of
                        FOUR satellites simultaneously in view. If altitude is known (i.e. for a
                        surface user), then THREE satellites are sufficient. If time is being
                        kept by a stable clock (say, since the last complete coverage), then TWO
                        satellites in view are sufficient for a fix at known altitude. If the
                        user is, in addition, stationary or has a known speed then, in
                        principle, the position can be obtained by the observation of a complete
                        pass of a SINGLE satellite. This could be called the "transit" mode,
                        because the old TRANSIT system uses this method. In the case of GPS,
                        however, the apparent motion of the satellite is much slower, requiring
                        much more stability of the user clock.

                        This isn't exactly what I was taught, so I'll have to delve into this
                        some more.

                        Another interesting site I've used for Oscar work, is the one below:

                        http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/RealTime/JPass/20/

                        It doesn't appear to have the GPS birds, but it does have several other
                        satellites.

                        73,

                        Steven

                      • kc4kgu@enterzone.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6 1:57 PM
                          On Sat, 4 May 2002, Steven & Maria Peterson wrote:

                          > Stephen,
                          >
                          > Yes. I know that all satellites broadcast the time. That's not what I was saying.
                          > Let me try it again.
                          >
                          > In order to compute a latitude and longitude fix, you need three satellites.
                          > In order to compute your Z axis, or altitude information, you need one more
                          > satellite, for a total of four.
                          > In order to obtain time information, you must acquire a total of five satellites
                          > - three for X and Y, one for Z and the last is for time.
                          >
                          > In other words, if you only have three satellites acquired, you only get X and Y
                          > computation. If you can acquire four satellites, you can compute X, Y and Z. If
                          > you can acquire five satellites, you get the whole enchilada - X, Y, Z and time.
                          > A satellite whose data is being used to compute, for example, Y data, cannot be
                          > used for time. Satellites being used for X and Y data cannot be used for Z and
                          > time - you get the idea. As a 17-year Guidance & Control Technician working on
                          > heavy aircraft, plus having spent the last seven years as a lead technician on
                          > commercial flight simulators, I can say this with a certain level of confidence.
                          > Not only that, the manual for my GPS repeats the same information. You are
                          > correct that all satellites broadcast time and almanac data.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          >
                          > Steven

                          Steven,

                          You are mistaken. As soon as you see the first bird, you have
                          time. Your particular GPS may not act on the information but, you've got
                          the time. We have several stratum-1 time sync devices that use the GPS
                          birds to aquire time. A *single* bird is all that is needed to aquire
                          time.

                          The reason you need four birds to compute Z is a function on the
                          calculation method. Without having the fix information from the fourth
                          bird, you don't have enough information to solve the equation for Z. Your
                          notion that birds take on fixed tasks, IE the first 3 for X/Y, one more
                          for Z and one more for time is wrong though.

                          *ALL* of the birds aquired provide the SAME information. The differential
                          of these sources is used for calculation X, Y and Z. Time is *always*
                          there though.

                          73 de John - KC4KGU
                        • ttolhurst
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 6 2:17 PM
                            --- In TMD700A@y..., kc4kgu@e... wrote:
                            > You are mistaken. As soon as you see the first bird, you have
                            > time. Your particular GPS may not act on the information but,
                            you've got
                            > the time. We have several stratum-1 time sync devices that use the
                            GPS
                            > birds to aquire time. A *single* bird is all that is needed to
                            aquire
                            > time.

                            Well, yes... and no. A single satellite won't tell you what time
                            it is, but only what time it *was* when the signal was transmitted
                            from the bird. Your receiver hears that signal at some later time;
                            how much time depends on the distance between you and the satellite
                            (something you can't know until you have a 3-D position).

                            Now, if your needs don't require great precision, the time you get
                            from a single bird may be just fine.

                            73,
                            Todd Tolhurst, WA1M
                          • Steven & Maria Peterson
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 6 5:40 PM
                              Jon,

                              I don't know where you got the idea I said that each satellite was dedicated to a
                              certain function. I never said, nor inferred that. Any satellite can be used to compute
                              X, Y or Z.

                              Steven

                            • KG4PYX@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 7 5:38 AM