HTML Messages

  • Roger D. Rines
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      Christian D,

      Any subscriber sending HTML messages to an ad based mailing list like
      this mailing list is asking for and promoting Spam.

      To stop the constant impact of the HTML messages on this and other
      list, I have elected to only receive messages in DIGEST format on
      TMD700A.

      I wish I didn't need to get my messages in DIGEST format, but until
      everyone on this list turns off HTML messages by changing their
      message format to TEXT only, it is a very important security measure.

      Changing you setting to DIGEST is a simple fix that keeps ads from
      appearing and it also keeps those HTML message from leaving
      third-party cookies that cause us to leave tracks all across the
      Internet. While I've also got other devices to keep this activity
      under control, this is the simplest and easiest approach.

      Roger...
      W1RDR

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        Message
        Personally, I think it'd be good for the list owner to set the list such that only plain text parts are sent over the list. It eliminates many opportunities for possibly malicious attachments, and would also soothe those who use plain text by not allowing any kinds of attachments on the email messages.

        Those of us who like to use HTML would still be part of the list since plain text versions of our emails are sent along with the HTML versions, except only the plain text version would be sent and a note saying something to the effect of [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] is appended to the end of the message.

        No big loss for anyone, security for all, and an end to any worries and complaints about binary attachments, harmful or harmless.

        As far as third party cookies, IE6 has a wonderful privacy setting that blocks all third party cookies. Just check the privacy tab of the Internet Options control panel. Heck, you can block ALL cookies if you want. (IE6 options propagate to any email program that uses IE6 components to display HTML emails, i.e. Outlook Express, Outlook 98/2000/XP, etc.) Don't know about Netscape...

        My two cents on this topic...

          - Mike, KG4JNA

        >  > Hi Tony It should work fine that way. I do it all the time. The
        other
        way
        >  > do it is with Winaprs or APRSpoint Witch I think is the best. A
        little
        > price'y
        >  > But worth it.
        >
        >  I'm wondering in you would consider dropping the HTML and attached
        graphics
        >  when posting to this public list. Many of us use text based
        readers, and
        all
        >  we see is a giant binary file, with junk in it.

        Amen to that...

        More and more, when a msg has html stuff in it, I hit delete before
        reading
        it...

        Anybody knows if there is a way to go a step further: have a system
        where
        html-loaded messages can just be ignored and left on the server,
        saving me
        the bother of downloading them?

        Christian D

        Community email addresses: