Re: Question on Tones

  • ae5au
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
      You can set different tones for T and CT modes, but they only are used when you are in that mode. When in CT mode, I'm 99.9% certain that the CT tone will be transmitted. I actually found this out by changing one of my memory that was set as T with 114.8 to CT and wondering why I couldn't hear nor access the repeater. I hit T.SEL and found that the tone was set to 88.5.

      We have a local repeater that has split tones and I'd love to be able to do this. I've not yet found a ham rig that would. It's common on most all commercial radios, though.

      73,
      Luke - AE5AU

      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Noel Seeley" <noeleo@...> wrote:

      > I believe the OP was referring to a repeater that has different tones for
      > TX/RX if I understand correctly. The TX tone frequency CAN be set
      > separately from the CTCSS frequency. I use the Kenwood software, and just
      > looked to be sure that this is possible.
      >
      > Noel Seeley
      > K5NES

    • noskosteve
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2013
        Mike,

        Unfortunately, no.

        A single memory location can indeed store one parameter for the Tx "Tone" frequency and a second parameter for the "CT" frequency. Then there is a parameter that sets whether it is in the "T" or "CT" mode.
        HOWEVER, when in CT mode the CT (Rx) frequency is used for both the Transmit Tone frequency and the Receive squelch frequency.
        Setting aside two memories is the only way to get the effect you need.

        If you have Excel 97 or later, on my site (below) I have a workbook that is very user friendly, that programs the D700 memories as well as other stuff. You will also see the two frequencies held in each memory, but in CT mode, the Receive one is used also for the transmit Tone.

        Shame on Kenwood.

        Sent from my KnightKit Crystal Set.
        --
        73, Steve, K9DCI USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)

        I served during the cold war, so you can continue to be served a cold one.

        Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Oct-2011
        http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
        Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact

        Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
        Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
        All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
        For:
        TM-D700 | TH-F6A & F7 | TS-2000 | Icom 706MkIIG
        All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
        NOT D710|Also Kenwood.fx Files|TS-480 in Beta|

        Laser Light show concepts coming in 2013.

        Home Page:
        http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/