Kenwood TM-D700A - Don't use a telephone cable as an extension cable

  • Walt

      I've installed my TM-D700A in four different vehicles using the same basic layout:

      1. 2002 GMC Envoy
      2. 2006 GMC Envoy
      3. 2010 GMC Acadia SLT
      4. 2014 GMC Acadia Denali

      The radio is located in the back of the vehicle – 12V power is supplied by a power plug located in the back of the vehicle which is always on and a Charge-Guard is used to turn power off to all the equipment after about 15 Minutes.
      A small cube sized GPS is located on the rear driver's side window.
      The MIC, Speaker & Control Head cables are snaked under the vehicles' side panels and carpet and come up into the center console using the approved Kenwood Extension kit (except for the last vehicle). .
      Antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna (~ 12") mounted through the roof using a an NMO mount and the other end fed to the radio in the rear with a PL259 connector.

      On all of these installations, except the last (2014 Acadia), there were NO Problems at all. I usually leave the old antenna cable and extension cables in the old vehicle and buy new ones for the new vehicle. However, the extension kit for the Kenwood TM-D700 are no longer available, so I tried to use a normal telephone cable in place of the extension cable for the control head. This was a mistake and the telephone cable was nothing but grief:
      • Sometimes the control head would power up and sometimes not.
      • Sometimes the power to the control head would go off when transmitting.
      • Many reboots of the control head, etc.
      • Tried putting ferrite beads on the cable, but this did not help.

      Fortunately, my friend Charlie, WB2SNN was replacing a TM-D700A with a TM-D710A in his vehicle and did not need his extension cable for the TM-D700A because he was going to use that radio in the house. I replaced the telephone cable with the right extension cable and everything is now working perfectly again. So the bottom line is use the right cables for the job and there is no grief. If I ever intend to get another vehicle, I'm going to spend the time retrieving the extension cable since they're no longer available.

      Walt WA2NXK
    • Brian Beuershausen
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 1:14 PM
        If you have the RJ connectors laying around and a crimper, all you have to
        do is cut one end off and put a new connector on but upside down relative
        to the one you cut off.

        When I made mine, I couldn't find my crimper, but with an Xacto knife, a
        small screwdriver to use as a punch and a small brass hammer, I was able to
        drive each of the IDC terminals and the strain relief tab down. Not the
        best method, but where there's a will . . . :-)

        On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Walt <wkapica@...> wrote:

        > **

        > Kenwood TM-D700A Control Head.
        >
        > I've installed my TM-D700A in four different vehicles using the same basic
        > layout:
        >
        > 1. 2002 GMC Envoy
        > 2. 2006 GMC Envoy
        > 3. 2010 GMC Acadia SLT
        > 4. 2014 GMC Acadia Denali
        >
        > The radio is located in the back of the vehicle � 12V power is supplied by
        > a power plug located in the back of the vehicle which is always on and a
        > Charge-Guard is used to turn power off to all the equipment after about 15
        > Minutes.
        > A small cube sized GPS is located on the rear driver's side window.
        > The MIC, Speaker & Control Head cables are snaked under the vehicles' side
        > panels and carpet and come up into the center console using the approved
        > Kenwood Extension kit (except for the last vehicle). .
        > Antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna (~ 12") mounted through the roof using a an
        > NMO mount and the other end fed to the radio in the rear with a PL259
        > connector.
        >
        > On all of these installations, except the last (2014 Acadia), there were
        > NO Problems at all. I usually leave the old antenna cable and extension
        > cables in the old vehicle and buy new ones for the new vehicle. However,
        > the extension kit for the Kenwood TM-D700 are no longer available, so I
        > tried to use a normal telephone cable in place of the extension cable for
        > the control head. This was a mistake and the telephone cable was nothing
        > but grief:
        > � Sometimes the control head would power up and sometimes not.
        > � Sometimes the power to the control head would go off when transmitting.
        > � Many reboots of the control head, etc.
        > � Tried putting ferrite beads on the cable, but this did not help.
        >
        > Fortunately, my friend Charlie, WB2SNN was replacing a TM-D700A with a
        > TM-D710A in his vehicle and did not need his extension cable for the
        > TM-D700A because he was going to use that radio in the house. I replaced
        > the telephone cable with the right extension cable and everything is now
        > working perfectly again. So the bottom line is use the right cables for the
        > job and there is no grief. If I ever intend to get another vehicle, I'm
        > going to spend the time retrieving the extension cable since they're no
        > longer available.
        >
        > Walt WA2NXK

      • Brian Clark
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 1:15 PM
          I have had 100% success in two different vehicles using CAT5e cabling and
          good quality punch-down jacks on each end /w short jumper into the radio.
          It makes for easy, rapid change-out of any RJ-11 or RJ-45 based radios and
          heads. I would image that CAT6 would make for even better shielded and
          problem-free extensions.

          Brian C.
          K4TUX

          On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Walt <wkapica@...> wrote:

          > **

          > Kenwood TM-D700A Control Head.
          >
          > I've installed my TM-D700A in four different vehicles using the same basic
          > layout:
          >
          > 1. 2002 GMC Envoy
          > 2. 2006 GMC Envoy
          > 3. 2010 GMC Acadia SLT
          > 4. 2014 GMC Acadia Denali
          >
          > The radio is located in the back of the vehicle � 12V power is supplied by
          > a power plug located in the back of the vehicle which is always on and a
          > Charge-Guard is used to turn power off to all the equipment after about 15
          > Minutes.
          > A small cube sized GPS is located on the rear driver's side window.
          > The MIC, Speaker & Control Head cables are snaked under the vehicles' side
          > panels and carpet and come up into the center console using the approved
          > Kenwood Extension kit (except for the last vehicle). .
          > Antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna (~ 12") mounted through the roof using a an
          > NMO mount and the other end fed to the radio in the rear with a PL259
          > connector.
          >
          > On all of these installations, except the last (2014 Acadia), there were
          > NO Problems at all. I usually leave the old antenna cable and extension
          > cables in the old vehicle and buy new ones for the new vehicle. However,
          > the extension kit for the Kenwood TM-D700 are no longer available, so I
          > tried to use a normal telephone cable in place of the extension cable for
          > the control head. This was a mistake and the telephone cable was nothing
          > but grief:
          > � Sometimes the control head would power up and sometimes not.
          > � Sometimes the power to the control head would go off when transmitting.
          > � Many reboots of the control head, etc.
          > � Tried putting ferrite beads on the cable, but this did not help.
          >
          > Fortunately, my friend Charlie, WB2SNN was replacing a TM-D700A with a
          > TM-D710A in his vehicle and did not need his extension cable for the
          > TM-D700A because he was going to use that radio in the house. I replaced
          > the telephone cable with the right extension cable and everything is now
          > working perfectly again. So the bottom line is use the right cables for the
          > job and there is no grief. If I ever intend to get another vehicle, I'm
          > going to spend the time retrieving the extension cable since they're no
          > longer available.
          >
          > Walt WA2NXK

        • WD8ARZ
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1 1:23 PM
            Thank you so much for your posting on this subject Walt. Have said for
            years not to use regular phone cable on this and other forums, but you
            always have those that say it is ok because 'they had no problems'. Bad
            practice with no 'known' effects doesnt make it good practice.

            Having installed a TS-480HX, TM-D700A and a Navigation system in a Trail
            Blazer with all remote mounted heads, I too have experienced the RFI
            issues. ESPECIALLY with telephone cable and poor quality HDMI cables.
            Not only getting RF in to the radios, especially control heads, but also
            into the transmitted audio. Even RF getting in to the vehicle electronics.

            Those issues went away in 98% of the cases using the correct cable. Even
            with the correct cable, long runs some times still need ferrite beads
            installed on each end to fully resolve the issues. Ferrites on the
            incorrect cables dont seem to work as well either.

            In my home I ran 100' plus of cable for the mic and control head for a
            TS-480HX from the basement ham station to an upstairs location with
            plenty of spare cable top side for operation from more than one room. I
            made it work, but had to use shielded cable and ferrites on each end of
            the cables. Especially ferriets at the control heads end of the cable.
            For those that say why dont I use this or that wireless or internet
            option, its simple: I want no lag in control response or rx / tx audio,
            and I didnt want complexity that leads to failure at some point. Keep It
            Simple Stupid can keep you up and running longer ....

            Please note that testing on a few frequencies is not good enough. You
            have to test at full power, full modulation, on each end of all bands.
            Some bands may be 100% clear of issues, but I am willing to bet you will
            not find that the case on all bands.

            Each installation will vary.

            Not to mention mobile station setups in quiet areas may operate 'ok' in
            many locations But get in to a ham active area with other stations,
            local to TV and Radio towers running kilowatts, and cbers running dirty
            amps with over modulation, you could find your system inoperable during
            a time of need.

            73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

            On 8/1/2013 3:46 PM, Walt wrote:

            > I've installed my TM-D700A in four different vehicles using the same basic layout:
            >
            > 1. 2002 GMC Envoy
            > 2. 2006 GMC Envoy
            > 3. 2010 GMC Acadia SLT
            > 4. 2014 GMC Acadia Denali
            >
            > The radio is located in the back of the vehicle – 12V power is supplied by a power plug located in the back of the vehicle which is always on and a Charge-Guard is used to turn power off to all the equipment after about 15 Minutes.
            > A small cube sized GPS is located on the rear driver's side window.
            > The MIC, Speaker & Control Head cables are snaked under the vehicles' side panels and carpet and come up into the center console using the approved Kenwood Extension kit (except for the last vehicle). .
            > Antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna (~ 12") mounted through the roof using a an NMO mount and the other end fed to the radio in the rear with a PL259 connector.
            >
            > On all of these installations, except the last (2014 Acadia), there were NO Problems at all. I usually leave the old antenna cable and extension cables in the old vehicle and buy new ones for the new vehicle. However, the extension kit for the Kenwood TM-D700 are no longer available, so I tried to use a normal telephone cable in place of the extension cable for the control head. This was a mistake and the telephone cable was nothing but grief:
            > • Sometimes the control head would power up and sometimes not.
            > • Sometimes the power to the control head would go off when transmitting.
            > • Many reboots of the control head, etc.
            > • Tried putting ferrite beads on the cable, but this did not help.
            >
            > Fortunately, my friend Charlie, WB2SNN was replacing a TM-D700A with a TM-D710A in his vehicle and did not need his extension cable for the TM-D700A because he was going to use that radio in the house. I replaced the telephone cable with the right extension cable and everything is now working perfectly again. So the bottom line is use the right cables for the job and there is no grief. If I ever intend to get another vehicle, I'm going to spend the time retrieving the extension cable since they're no longer available.
            >
            > Walt WA2NXK
          • Brian Beuershausen
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1 1:52 PM
              Cat 6 is made to a higher standard than Cat 5, 5e, etc. But that's
              inconsequential to the Kenwood. Cat 3 (telephone cable) can handle the
              signals just fine. If you need shielding (like in a high RF situation),
              you have to specifically get shielded cable. Shielding is not part of the
              basic specs.

              suited to the purpose about the cable supplied by Kenwood. It's just
              ordinary small diameter, round cable with RJ connectors on the ends. Cat 3
              cable is perfectly up to the task. I find that the flat phone cable works
              fine even in RF-dense environments as long as the length isn't excessive
              and the connecters are installed correctly.

            • Brian Beuershausen
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1 1:54 PM
                Ahhhh, correction to myself: What I mentioned about the upside down
                connector actually applies to Yaesu remote heads. Sorry for the
                misstatement.

                But I am using Cat 3 flat cable with no problem for the Kenwood. Just make
                sure the conductor placement into the RJ connectors is correct. Use the
                manual and verify with a meter.

              • GK
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1 1:56 PM
                  I guess it would go without saying that you like GMC SUV's!

[...]

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Thomas Schaefer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1 1:57 PM
                    I have to add something to this (I hope). First, to clarify, I presume when one says "telephone cable" we are not talking about a simple silver satin cable, but something of at least CAT5 quality (its common to use CAT3 for POTS lines). My experience is standard CAT5 can definitely fail, BUT, I switched to a cable that was both shielded and made for mobile installations. Regular CAT5 cable and connections are not supposed to be moved much (either plugged and unplugged or subject to vibration). Using a shielded cable and a cable made for mobility, I see no issues with regular CAT5e cable and very nice stress relief connectors. I do use them for all the inter-connects from the trunk to the radios and microphones.

                    I disagree with using one case as a cautionary tale just as I would disagree with using only one case of it working as confirmation bias. I believe if polled, most folks on this list would say they had positive experiences with good CAT5 connections (including CAT5e rated double females jacks to connect the Mic and control head. I cannot stress enough how you have to use strain-relief on the connectors just like a LAN patch panel.

                    Tom Schaefer, NY4I

                    PS A note on the horror of silver satin is that you have to make sure it is not crossed-over. I have just as many of those that are crossed over as straight-through, but I picked those up from the trash back in my Harris Digital Telephone Systems days (those are the industry equivalent of Tribbles :) ).

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1 1:58 PM
                      Frys electronics has some of the bets prices on Cat 6 Shielded Network cable
                      as well as Cat 7 Shielded.. I always grab several sizes when there.. If
                      memory serves 100' is around the $20 range?

> [...]

                      > > mistake and the telephone cable was nothing but grief:
                      > > . Sometimes the control head would power up and sometimes not.
                      > > . Sometimes the power to the control head would go off when
                      transmitting.
                      > > . Many reboots of the control head, etc.
                      > > . Tried putting ferrite beads on the cable, but this did not help.
                      > >
                      > > Fortunately, my friend Charlie, WB2SNN was replacing a TM-D700A with
                      > > a TM-D710A in his vehicle and did not need his extension cable for
                      > > the TM-D700A because he was going to use that radio in the house. I
                      > > replaced the telephone cable with the right extension cable and
                      > > everything is now working perfectly again. So the bottom line is use
                      > > the right cables for
                      > the
                      > > job and there is no grief. If I ever intend to get another vehicle,
                      > > I'm going to spend the time retrieving the extension cable since

                      Shortcut URL to this page:
                    • Jim K5JG
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1 2:23 PM
                        I have recently had the same experience with telephone cable not
                        working. I made three or four cables myself, using the correct crimp
                        tool, and they would not work. Even though the cable is supposed to be
                        wired straight through, I made one with the two data lines reversed on
                        one end. Naturally, that didn't work either. Bottom line, I could never
                        get the radio to turn on with the home brew cables.

                        Then I found a guy on eBay selling TM-D700A aftermarket extension kits
                        and took a chance on one. Turns out that it, too, is made from telephone
                        cable (apparently a better grade of cable) and it does not work
                        properly. The radio will turn on, but only about 25% of the time.

                        I don't know what the magic is, however...

                        Kenwood still sells the cable. The part number listed in the manual is
                        no longer valid, but Kenwood Customer Service gave me the new one. It is
                        E30-3409-05 and can be ordered from PacParts (used to be Pacific Coast
                        Parts) who handles replacement part sales for Kenwood. The downside is
                        that it costs $25.76, and that probably doesn't include shipping.

                        73, Jim K5JG

                        Thomas Schaefer wrote:
                        > I have to add something to this (I hope). First, to clarify, I presume when one says "telephone cable" we are not talking about a simple silver satin cable, but something of at least CAT5 quality (its common to use CAT3 for POTS lines). My experience is standard CAT5 can definitely fail, BUT, I switched to a cable that was both shielded and made for mobile installations. Regular CAT5 cable and connections are not supposed to be moved much (either plugged and unplugged or subject to vibration). Using a shielded cable and a cable made for mobility, I see no issues with regular CAT5e cable and very nice stress relief connectors. I do use them for all the inter-connects from the trunk to the radios and microphones.
                        >
                        > I disagree with using one case as a cautionary tale just as I would disagree with using only one case of it working as confirmation bias. I believe if polled, most folks on this list would say they had positive experiences with good CAT5 connections (including CAT5e rated double females jacks to connect the Mic and control head. I cannot stress enough how you have to use strain-relief on the connectors just like a LAN patch panel.
                        >
                        > Tom Schaefer, NY4I
                        >
                        > PS A note on the horror of silver satin is that you have to make sure it is not crossed-over. I have just as many of those that are crossed over as straight-through, but I picked those up from the trash back in my Harris Digital Telephone Systems days (those are the industry equivalent of Tribbles :) ).

                        > Shortcut URL to this page:

                      • Thomas Schaefer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1 2:57 PM
                          I'm not sure how to answer that except to say that the cables of course need to be wired correctly. I use the CAT5e cables and stress relief connectors I mentioned. I also make sure I use couplers that are rated for CAT5e. The cheap ones that happen to fit an RJ45 are not good for anything other than real telephones. Since I switched to the cable I mentioned earlier and good connections, I have had no issues. I will also say that the only time I did have a failure was when I just terminated the Mic extension cable in a cable I stuck next to the seat. Keep he cable from moving and life is much better.

                          Platinum Tools makes some nice RJ45s that make it quite easy to make good connections. You slide the wires through the connector so it is easy to sort them in the right order. I threw out all my other plugs for these as my eyes are not as good as they used to be for close-up stuff. http://amzn.com/B001AZLS6Y . I have no interest in the company—just a satisfied customer with more money than time (they do cost more).

                          Regards,

                          Tom Schaefer

                          727-437-2771

                          On Aug 1, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Jim K5JG <k5jg@...> wrote:

                          > I have recently had the same experience with telephone cable not
                          > working. I made three or four cables myself, using the correct crimp
                          > tool, and they would not work. Even though the cable is supposed to be
                          > wired straight through, I made one with the two data lines reversed on
                          > one end. Naturally, that didn't work either. Bottom line, I could never
                          > get the radio to turn on with the home brew cables.
                          >
                          > Then I found a guy on eBay selling TM-D700A aftermarket extension kits
                          > and took a chance on one. Turns out that it, too, is made from telephone
                          > cable (apparently a better grade of cable) and it does not work
                          > properly. The radio will turn on, but only about 25% of the time.
                          >
                          > I don't know what the magic is, however...
                          >
                          > Kenwood still sells the cable. The part number listed in the manual is
                          > no longer valid, but Kenwood Customer Service gave me the new one. It is
                          > E30-3409-05 and can be ordered from PacParts (used to be Pacific Coast
                          > Parts) who handles replacement part sales for Kenwood. The downside is
                          > that it costs $25.76, and that probably doesn't include shipping.
                          >
                          > 73, Jim K5JG
                          >
                          > Thomas Schaefer wrote:
                          >> I have to add something to this (I hope). First, to clarify, I presume when one says "telephone cable" we are not talking about a simple silver satin cable, but something of at least CAT5 quality (its common to use CAT3 for POTS lines). My experience is standard CAT5 can definitely fail, BUT, I switched to a cable that was both shielded and made for mobile installations. Regular CAT5 cable and connections are not supposed to be moved much (either plugged and unplugged or subject to vibration). Using a shielded cable and a cable made for mobility, I see no issues with regular CAT5e cable and very nice stress relief connectors. I do use them for all the inter-connects from the trunk to the radios and microphones.
                          >>
                          >> I disagree with using one case as a cautionary tale just as I would disagree with using only one case of it working as confirmation bias. I believe if polled, most folks on this list would say they had positive experiences with good CAT5 connections (including CAT5e rated double females jacks to connect the Mic and control head. I cannot stress enough how you have to use strain-relief on the connectors just like a LAN patch panel.
                          >>
                          >> Tom Schaefer, NY4I
                          >>
                          >> PS A note on the horror of silver satin is that you have to make sure it is not crossed-over. I have just as many of those that are crossed over as straight-through, but I picked those up from the trash back in my Harris Digital Telephone Systems days (those are the industry equivalent of Tribbles :) ).

                          >> Shortcut URL to this page:

                          > Shortcut URL to this page:

                        • Tim Hardy AF1G
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1 7:15 PM
                            I think I would use a shielded Ethernet cable instead of phone line and see
                            what happens.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 1 7:50 PM
                              I have use Cat 5 on my D700 and D710 in Cars, House and Golf cart

                              Just make sure when you put the end on to have the colors line up then crimp

                              The twits in the wires give great cancelation of any noise picked up

                              Tom

                              KC0VII

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 2 1:49 AM
                                OK, go get a 15' network cable and a coupling. It is very easy to do, just do not get a cross connected coupling. I did it on my wife's car and it works great. I did use cat6 though.