Lost 2 meter Receive on Band B

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 10, 2013
      Can anyone help on this one? I have the TM-D700A. I can transmit but not receive on band B for 2 meter. Tried a VFO reset and a master reset. UHF transmits and receives fine on B and UHF and VHF both work fine on band A
    • Patrick Ryan KC6VVT
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 10, 2013
        Just a thought - Select Menu:
        Access Menu 1-7-6 (REPEATER) and de-select Locked band Repeater or
        Cross-band Repeater. The default is "OFF".

        On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Mike <w2swr@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help on this one? I have the TM-D700A. I can transmit but not
        > receive on band B for 2 meter. Tried a VFO reset and a master reset. UHF
        > transmits and receives fine on B and UHF and VHF both work fine on band A
        >

        > --
        R. Patrick Ryan
        ARS: KC6VVT Grid: EN51lf
        email: kc6vvt@...
        Facebook for ham related: http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 10, 2013
          That didn't help. Keep in mind that I did a Master Reset so everything has been defaulted. Thanks for your thought.

          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Ryan KC6VVT <kc6vvt@...> wrote:

          > Just a thought - Select Menu:
          > Access Menu 1-7-6 (REPEATER) and de-select Locked band Repeater or
          > Cross-band Repeater. The default is "OFF".
          >
          > > 73 de Pat KC6VVT
          >

          > On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Mike <w2swr@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Can anyone help on this one? I have the TM-D700A. I can transmit but not
          > > receive on band B for 2 meter. Tried a VFO reset and a master reset. UHF
          > > transmits and receives fine on B and UHF and VHF both work fine on band A
          > >

          > > --
          > R. Patrick Ryan
          > ARS: KC6VVT Grid: EN51lf
          > email: kc6vvt@...
          > Facebook for ham related: http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

        • Ryan G
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
            Howdy folks- As I am involved with helping a S&R group out with communications in addition to my amateur duties, I am looking to see if it is possible to modify the TMD700A to transmit on the 154.000-156.000 frequencies, mainly the S&R channels. (yes I am very much aware they also serve the police, fire, & ems services, as I also volunteer and have worked for a local Sheriff's Office) I at one time had a TM-V7A that had been modified to be able to do this, which is why I am asking. It would make things much easier for communications on my side of the fence.

            Thank you

            Ryan
            K0CTR

          • LARRY J. FORD
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
              It may be possible to "open-up" the TM-D700A to transmit on those
              "out-of-band" frequencies, but it would not make it legal to do so.

              Radios which are designed and sold for those frequencies are "type-accepted"
              by the FCC for those bands.

              Amateur radios are NOT type-accepted by the FCC, and thus cannot be legally
              operated on other bands for which type-acceptance by the FCC is required, with
              the possible exception of operation during an actual emergency situation (and
              also MARS bands for which DoD regulations apply).

              Larry J. Ford
              KG4GPJ

              > Howdy folks- As I am involved with helping a S&R group out with
              communications in addition to my amateur duties, I am looking to see if it is
              possible to modify the TMD700A to transmit on the 154.000-156.000 frequencies,
              mainly the S&R channels. (yes I am very much aware they also serve the
              police, fire, & ems services, as I also volunteer and have worked for a local
              Sheriff's Office) I at one time had a TM-V7A that had been modified to be
              able to do this, which is why I am asking. It would make things much easier
              for communications on my side of the fence.

              > Thank you
              >
              > Ryan
              > K0CTR

            • Jeff Dugas (Mobile)
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
                I have not tried, but with the extended frequency TX mod, it should be possible. But ...

                For regular routine S&R volunteer operations, I don't know if that is allowed with regard to FCC Type Approval for the radio.

                For a bonafide emergency involving safety of life or property, however, I believe you are allowed to operate on any frequency.

                Also, using the same antenna for 2M/440 would probably result in a poor match and less than optimum performance at 154-156 MHz.

                Just my two cents.

                Jeff
                N5TEV

                Ryan G <RyanGard@...> wrote:

                >Howdy folks- As I am involved with helping a S&R group out with communications in addition to my amateur duties, I am looking to see if it is possible to modify the TMD700A to transmit on the 154.000-156.000 frequencies, mainly the S&R channels. (yes I am very much aware they also serve the police, fire, & ems services, as I also volunteer and have worked for a local Sheriff's Office) I at one time had a TM-V7A that had been modified to be able to do this, which is why I am asking. It would make things much easier for communications on my side of the fence.
                >
                >Thank you
                >
                >Ryan
                >K0CTR

                >Shortcut URL to this page:

              • LARRY J. FORD
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
                  Does the FCC "narrow-band" requirement apply to the public service bands now?

                  I'm thinking that it may, and unless the TM-D700A is capable of narrow-band
                  TX, then that may be another reason it would not be legal to use it on those
                  bands except in the case of a genuine emergency.

                  Larry J. Ford
                  KG4GPJ

                  > I have not tried, but with the extended frequency TX mod, it should be
                  possible. But ...

                  > For regular routine S&R volunteer operations, I don't know if that is
                  allowed with regard to FCC Type Approval for the radio.

                  > For a bonafide emergency involving safety of life or property, however, I
                  believe you are allowed to operate on any frequency.

                  > Also, using the same antenna for 2M/440 would probably result in a poor
                  match and less than optimum performance at 154-156 MHz.

                  > Just my two cents.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  > N5TEV
                  >

                  > Ryan G <RyanGard@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > >Howdy folks- As I am involved with helping a S&R group out with
                  communications in addition to my amateur duties, I am looking to see if it is
                  possible to modify the TMD700A to transmit on the 154.000-156.000 frequencies,
                  mainly the S&R channels. (yes I am very much aware they also serve the
                  police, fire, & ems services, as I also volunteer and have worked for a local
                  Sheriff's Office) I at one time had a TM-V7A that had been modified to be
                  able to do this, which is why I am asking. It would make things much easier
                  for communications on my side of the fence.

                  > >Thank you
                  > >
                  > >Ryan
                  > >K0CTR

                  > >Shortcut URL to this page:

                • Tim Hardy AF1G
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
                    There are several Chinese-made radios, both portable and mobile, that are FCC-approved (the FCC no longer “type-accepts” radios) for use in the Part 90 public safety bands. They also work in the amateur bands and are generally sold as amateur radio products. The Wouxun portables and mobiles, the Baofeng portables, and the Anytone AT-5888UV are examples of these. They are all programmable from the front panel.

                    As Jeff said below, if your antenna is tuned for the ham bands, you will have a poor match in the public safety bands.

                    I once tried using a single radio for both public safety and amateur use and found the biggest problem was during scan. In fact, my D-700A is modified for expanded frequencies, but…. I would hear a friend on a ham freq, and by the time I grabbed the mic and answered the ham station, the radio had resumed scanning and I found myself giving my amateur call on a public safety system. After being embarrassed a few times, I went ahead and purchased a 50 watt commercial radio for public safety use and installed a tuned antenna for that band. The RELM, Midland, and HYT series of mobiles are an economical way to add a radio for dedicated SAR and public safety use. Incidentally, I am a Deputy Sheriff and authorized to use a number of PubSaf freqs.

                    I still have PubSaf frequencies in some of my ham radios for scanning (listening), but the programmed offsets for those channels ensure that any accidental transmissions will be only within the ham bands.

                    Tim, AF1G

                    Ryan G <RyanGard@... <mailto:RyanGard%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

                    >Howdy folks- As I am involved with helping a S&R group out with communications in addition to my amateur duties, I am looking to see if it is possible to modify the TMD700A to transmit on the 154.000-156.000 frequencies, mainly the S&R channels. (yes I am very much aware they also serve the police, fire, & ems services, as I also volunteer and have worked for a local Sheriff's Office) I at one time had a TM-V7A that had been modified to be able to do this, which is why I am asking. It would make things much easier for communications on my side of the fence.
                    >
                    >Thank you
                    >
                    >Ryan
                    >K0CTR

                    >Shortcut URL to this page:

                    _____

                    No virus found in this message.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
                      Thank you for the great information here folks, I appreciate it. I have followed the advice of those who have responded back and just purchased the proper antenna. I don't anticipate needing to use it much for my responsibilities with S&R, and the frequencies we use are "simpex" S&R frequencies, along with the national S&R frequency. With the simplex frequencies that we use I don't believe the narrow band thing is an issue since we transmit and receive on that same frequency, someone correct me if I am wrong. There are a few S&R repeaters throughout the state, which have indeed been modified and updated to be in compliance with the narrow band requirement from what I am told, the only issue thus far has been getting most of the volunteer groups set up with new rigs that are also narrow band compliant. Many of them are using HTs that were donated by law enforcement/fire departments from the 80s and 90s. Lots of fundraisers going on, grants being requested, and what not. I'd guess at this point that at least 50% of the volunteers out there are still using outdated equipment. But you have to do what you have to do when it comes to saving lives.

                      Again my thanks to all for the feedback and information and I welcome any further comments.

                      To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com

                      _____

                      No virus found in this message.

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Frank or Barbara Rossi
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
                        Try this page, I think it also enables the cross band repeat with this mod.
                        http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/kenwood/TM-D700.htm
                        Did mine years ago to get the cross band repeat to work before it was legal.
                        There is several pages with info you can find in Google.
                        The D-700 won't do narrow band like the D-710, so use at own risk.
                        N3FLR - Frank

                        On 6/11/2013 12:07 PM, Ryan G wrote:
                        > Howdy folks- As I am involved with helping a S&R group out with communications in addition to my amateur duties, I am looking to see if it is possible to modify the TMD700A to transmit on the 154.000-156.000 frequencies, mainly the S&R channels. (yes I am very much aware they also serve the police, fire, & ems services, as I also volunteer and have worked for a local Sheriff's Office) I at one time had a TM-V7A that had been modified to be able to do this, which is why I am asking. It would make things much easier for communications on my side of the fence.
                        >
                        > Thank you
                        >
                        > Ryan
                        > K0CTR

                        > Shortcut URL to this page:

                      • Randy Allen
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 11, 2013
                          On 6/11/2013 13:40, LARRY J. FORD wrote:
                          > Does the FCC "narrow-band" requirement apply to the public service bands
                          > now?

                          Yes, since 0001 Eastern 1 Jan 2013

                          And to answer a point brought up in another e-mail on this thread, that
                          applies to public safety/service Simplex frequencies as well to the best
                          of my knowledge.

                          73

                          --
                          Randy Allen, KAØAZS
                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 12, 2013
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 12, 2013
                              When did it start doing this? Did it happen suddenly or were you changing settings around? I realize you've done a master reset on everything so we are trying to troubleshoot further.

                              To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com
                              From: w2swr@...
                              Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:22:48 +0000
                              Subject: [TMD700A] Lost 2 meter Receive on Band B

                              Can anyone help on this one? I have the TM-D700A. I can transmit but not receive on band B for 2 meter. Tried a VFO reset and a master reset. UHF transmits and receives fine on B and UHF and VHF both work fine on band A

                            • Ralph Milnes
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 13, 2013
                                Ryan,

                                Let me be more emphatic. If you transmit on those frequencies with the TMD-700 you will be operation ILLEGALLY. I strongly recommend that you DON'T DO IT, even if you find a modification to do it.

                                Here's why:

                                o Search and Rescue operations are not, per se, life or death. In most cases, you don't know the condition of the subject. You can't say conclusively that their life is in imminent danger (heck, they may already be dead) and that you need to use any available frequency. You can argue your rationale with the FCC but you risk a large fine if your argument doesn't satisfy them.

                                Plus others have mentioned:

                                o The radio is not approved by the FCC for operation on those frequencies for non-life threatening situations. You risk a FCC fine if you use it on those frequencies.

                                O The transmit signals on those frequencies must now be "narrow band" or a max of 12.5 KHz wide (since 1/1/2013). I believe the D700 transmits "wide band" only or 25 KHz wide. Again, you risk a FCC fine if you transmit "wide band" on those frequencies.

                                Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'm not trying to be the police officer on this. I won't be the one to report you. I'm just trying to keep you out of trouble. Will you get caught? I can't say. Will you get fined? I can't say. But you are putting yourself at risk for some painful discipline despite your well meaning and generous intentions.

                                As others have suggested, get a radio approved for transmission on those frequencies. Both Wouxun and Anytone make hand-held and mobile radios that will transmit on BOTH the ham and commercial/public service frequencies legally. The HT costs about $140 and the mobile costs about $290. If you don't have the money, perhaps a local foundation will grant the money for you and your team to buy some proper radios.

                                And so you know, I am the radio officer for my Search and Rescue group here in New Mexico, so I have looked into this issue.

                                Thank you for your service -- but please stay out of trouble with the FCC.

                                73,

                                Ralph Milnes NM5RM

                                -----------------

                                Transmit on VHF 154-156.000 range?
                                Posted by: "Ryan G" RyanGard@... ry_guy1977

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 13, 2013
                                  I appreciate the info and concern and have chosen not to violate the laws in anyway thus I will not be doing it.

                                  To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com
                                  CC: RyanGard@...

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 15, 2013
                                    No answer for you, but possibly a similar problem.

                                    I cannot set a sub-audible tone on band A. Any attempt to do so will cause the transceiver to reboot. Packet and APRS work fine, but this seriously hampers dual repeater usage. Similarly, neither reset solved anything.

                                    Kenwood's answer is as expected; send it in.

                                    --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <w2swr@...> wrote:

                                    > Can anyone help on this one? I have the TM-D700A. I can transmit but not receive on band B for 2 meter. Tried a VFO reset and a master reset. UHF transmits and receives fine on B and UHF and VHF both work fine on band A

                                  • noskosteve
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 16, 2013
                                      Beating this horse carcass just a few more times... A few fine points on the subject of "opening up" an Amateur transmitter.

                                      Yes, it is illegal to transmit out of the ham bands in the US and probably elsewhere, but see ** below.

                                      >... (the FCC no longer type-accepts radios) ...

                                      The term now used is "certification" though the process is the same as what had been called "Type Acceptance". In general, Amateur radio equipment was never type accepted and is NOT certified in the same way (the Amplifier thing is a bit different). Only radios that can do scanning are certified to not exceed the Part 15 *radiated* emissions - nothing more. I was also surprised when I first learned this about commercial Ham gear.
                                      Ham equipment is not required to be certified because we can build our own stuff as well as modify commercial radios to use on ham frequencies (as long as we use due-diligence to meet the rules) - but NOT the other way around. True FCC Certification requires measurements, showing that they meet *all* FCC requirements, for just about all operating parameters, Tx and Rx.

                                      > ...unless the TM-D700A is capable of narrow-band TX, then that may be another reason it would not be legal to use it on those bands except in the case of a genuine emergency.

                                      1 - The radio is not FCC Certified for its operating performance for ANY radio service and therefore, the single item of the lack of narrow band operation is irrelevant for legality in services other than Amateur (in the US).

                                      2 - Actually you can 'light up' the N in the display of a US "K" radio with the command into the serial port. I suspect that the filter switching signal inside the radio (out of the processor) is functional and that some other function could be enabled this way, but I haven't looked into it. It could be a nifty way to enable some custom circuitry added to your D700, or externally.

                                      ** For a true emergency, life-or-limb situation *any* communication means you use is acceptable in the eyes of the FCC.

                                      > Did mine years ago to get the cross band repeat to work before it was legal.

                                      I don't believe it was ever illegal to cross band repeat as long as you did your control from 440 (above the 220 band, I think it is/was - too lazy to open my Part 97)...was it? I'm sure someone will correct me. [the TS-2000 Sky Command had a problem because some of the control happens on 2 meters. Kenwood petitioned the FCC and got Sky Command allowed]

                                      I also think that the official SAR people would (should) be aware of all this and not allow non-certified radios in commercial frequency SAR service.

                                      --
                                      73, Steve, K9DCI
                                      - Retired design engineer and commercial radio certification lab manager.
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 16, 2013
                                        I'll kick that horse a couple times too. The SAR teams around here do
                                        not allow the use of modified ham radios during any operation. They
                                        have to prove they are using "certified" or "Type accepted"radio.

                                        -Michael

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 16, 2013
                                          Not all S&R teams are that fortunate. Some have to make do with what they have. They may not be 100% legal, but they get the job done when everything is said and done, being in compliance of FCC policy is the least concern when it comes to saving lives. You can look at that statement two ways though.

                                          To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 16, 2013
                                            In all honesty, you can get surplus radios for SAR use far cheaper than
                                            a ham radio. They can be programmed up and then done. They usually
                                            hold up better as well. It's really hard to argue for modified ham
                                            radios in this mode of operation. I was quite upset when they set this
                                            policy as I lost a source of fun cash modifying their radios. :) But
                                            after seeing many of the ham radios mic cables fall apart or buttons
                                            stop working or just plain quit transmitting, it was obvious the surplus
                                            gear was a better option all around. I got the gear to program the
                                            Motorola radios and that was that.

                                            -Michael

> [...]

                                            means you use is acceptable in the eyes of the FCC.

                                            > Did mine years ago to get the cross band repeat to work before it was

                                            legal.

                                            I don't believe it was ever illegal to cross band repeat as long as you

                                            did your control from 440 (above the 220 band, I think it is/was - too

                                            lazy to open my Part 97)...was it? I'm sure someone will correct me.

                                            [the TS-2000 Sky Command had a problem because some of the control

                                            happens on 2 meters. Kenwood petitioned the FCC and got Sky Command

                                            allowed]

                                            I also think that the official SAR people would (should) be aware of all

                                            this and not allow non-certified radios in commercial frequency SAR

                                            service.

                                            --

                                            73, Steve, K9DCI

                                            - Retired design engineer and commercial radio certification lab

                                          • Tom Schaefer
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 16, 2013
                                              We are pretty far afield of something directly related to the D700 so let's close this thread down if that is ok

                                              Thanks

                                              Tom NY4I