OT: Possible Trans-Atlantic APRS Balloon Tomorrow

  • noskosteve
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2012
      Sorta' OT...anyway.

      From the TAPR APRS Reflector: California Near Space Project Launch announcement

      A long-distance APRS-equipped floater may go up tomorrow. With some luck, this balloon may make the European coast before the batteries expire or the balloon gives up. CNSP is the same group that launched the transatlantic floater last December that made it just past Spain, into the western Mediterranean from California.

      I tracked it (in the comfort of my own den) and have both a map of the flight as well as the telemetry data of altitude and battery voltage that I plotted on a chart. it got into its 400mi radio range @ 100 k ft stations in the Azores tuned to the US APRS freq and injected data in to the net, so it could be seen around the world in real-time.

      It's amazing how small the radio payload is. Only about 6"x 6" x 10"

      Planned launch is 6:46 p.m. Local time.

      CNSP web site:
      http://www.californianearspaceproject.com/
      Scroll down for info on the last flight to Spain...

      You can read the Tweets as well as other updates from that web site.
      http://twitter.com/k6rpt

      A map of the flight is on the front page of their Yahoo group and if like last time, I think they may post more here than on Twitter:

      To watch it yourself go to (it already squawked on Monday on the ground):
      http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FK6RPT-12&timerange=604800

      73, Steve, K9DCI

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2012
        From CNSP:

        The weather is looking much better now and we still plan to launch at 4:45 p.m. (PST) 6:45 CST

        73, Steve, K9DCI