Re: [TMD700A] APRS system-test question

  • Larry J. Ford
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3 1:37 PM
      Herb,

      I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

      Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, the only APRS node I can hit does not, to my knowledge, have internet access.

      Larry J. Ford
      KG4GPJ

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3 1:58 PM
        Hi Larry. I have sent emails from my Kenwood THD7AG for years. They get
        there.. Eventually it will get to an APRS Igate and be delivered.. 73 jk

        Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
        way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
        Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

        Herb, KB7UVC
        NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
        Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

        <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

        > > Shortcut URL to this page:

        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3 1:58 PM
          And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
          RMS.

          73 jk

          Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
          way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
          Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

          Herb, KB7UVC
          NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
          Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

        • Larry J. Ford
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3 2:16 PM
            Yes, I use RMSE/Winlink, and understand that system has nothing to do with APRS.

            Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, there is only one APRS node, and I don't believe it is an APRS I-Gate, although it does have very wide coverage at roughly 5500 feet MSL (Joanna Bald, near Andrews, NC). APRS is not in wide use here, so I had forgotten all about the APRS I-Gates.

            I guess down in the "flatlands" with the greater proliferation of APRS nodes, I-Gates, and the like, e-mail via APRS would work a lot better than here.

            I think I'll dig out the manual, read up on the "E-Mail via APRS" protocols, and see if I can see out an e-mail via the APRS node on Joanna Bald.

            Larry J. Ford
            KG4GPJ
            And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
            RMS.

            73 jk

            Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
            way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
            Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

            Herb, KB7UVC
            NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
            Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3 2:55 PM
              Give it a try if it can reach any other APRS Digis chances are it will
              reach an Igate. and once at the igate it will get routed to email..
              Eventually.

              And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
              RMS.

              73 jk

              Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
              way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
              Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

              Herb, KB7UVC
              NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
              Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

              <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
              <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
              > > List owner: TMD700A-owner@onelist.com
              <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
              <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

              > > Shortcut URL to this page:

              <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
              <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
              > List owner: TMD700A-owner@onelist.com <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
              <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

              > Shortcut URL to this page:

            • ve7gtc
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3 4:26 PM
                I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!

                Gus K2GT VE7GTC
              • kf7vib
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3 5:47 PM
                  OK,

                  Thanks for the info, I will try it tonight.

                  TO: EMAIL

                  email@address short message

                  I will get back in/on with a report.

                  --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

                  > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                  >
                  > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                • kf7vib
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3 6:11 PM
                    I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!

                    --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

                    > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                    >
                    > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                  • Todd
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 4 10:13 AM
                      From: "Larry J. Ford"

                      > I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed
                      > to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it
                      > to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the
                      > message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

                      You're correct Larry, the I-Gate also must be set up to
                      do Internet to RF as well. Some are only set up to do RF to
                      Internet.

                      Here's some more info if you're interested.
                      http://www.winlink.org/aprslink

                      73, Todd KH2TJ
                    • kf7vib
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4 11:06 AM
                        As I stumble through this process, I realizable that I can not reply to my APRS message from my email account. So, I'm diving into the Outpost program; trying to set up all the fields.

                        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kf7vib" <kf7vib@...> wrote:

                        > I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!
                        >
                        > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                        > >
                        > > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                      • LARRY J. FORD
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4 11:10 AM
                          Since I'm already active on the Winlink system (HF side) and have a valid
                          Winlink e-mail address, looks like I'm halfway there already with APRSlink!

                          Thanks.

                          Larry J. Ford
                          KG4GPJ
                          kg4gpj@...